Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #41
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
got my pop corn in the micro....
Thinkin' its about to get good? LOL
Make me a bag.. I am setting up the camp chairs...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

Scary... But they were made to be a workhorse.. So one poster said..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #43

I can tell you this. God forbid that if I ever have an accident, it's not going to be because I was running heavier than what my GCVWR is. It's going to be because I was not operating my vehicle in a safe manner for the circumstances.

If you are the kind of people that is dead set on staying under all ratings you still have the ability to operate in an unsafe manner. What are you going to do if (God forbid) you have an accident that kills someone and get into a civil suit? There are a lot of ambulance chasing layers out there that can prove that you were some way at fault.

Those numbers that everyone refers to as the golden rule can be changed to what ever one wants as long as you don't exceed the Federal and State bridge weight laws. What it does is throws the liability onto the person that changed those numbers. Can an aftermarket upgrade change the capacity? Sure it can, but when YOU change the numbers the liability for those numbers goes to you instead of the OEM. It can also work 2 ways though. Install under rated tires or brake pads that are not of OE equivalent and not lower those golden rule numbers and the liability is still yours.

As state by someone in an earlier post that people posting on a public forum about knowingly towing over weight are bragging and are morons. For one, I am not bragging. I am not towing over weight on any axle. And to call someone a moron for towing over a number that has nothing to do with safety factor but does have to do with stress on gears can't be real smart when it comes to towing. Two identical trucks with same payload and axle ratings can have big differences in GCVWR just because of rear axle gear ratios. The lower the gear the less stress is put on the drive line. GCVWR has nothing to do with how much weight the trick can start or stop and handle in a safe manner.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
If you are the kind of people that is dead set on staying under all ratings you still have the ability to operate in an unsafe manner. What are you going to do if (God forbid) you have an accident that kills someone and get into a civil suit? There are a lot of ambulance chasing layers out there that can prove that you were some way at fault.
To that I would say civil suits are one thing and criminal charges based on negligence, such as vehicular manslaughter, are two different things entirely. A civil suit does not typically include the consequence of having your sexual orientation changed by Billy Bob Jim over in cell block #4.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
To that I would say civil suits are one thing and criminal charges based on negligence, such as vehicular manslaughter, are two different things entirely. A civil suit does not typically include the consequence of having your sexual orientation changed by Billy Bob Jim over in cell block #4.
Don't criminal charges usually include a broken law? A RV (unless you are talking Motorhomes) will not break a weight law. Speeding, reckless driving, using a mobile device , not paying enough taxes for your weight? Yes . Fifth wheel , travel trailer, truck breaking a weight law? no.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Some states do have laws that do not allow for you to be over weight, even a car. Most of the weight laws we think of are only for the commercial stuff. But every state is different so I could only surmise to each of the 50 states. I believe someone posted here in a past "weight" thread that their state had a law against being over GVWR or GCWR (not sure which) so that could be a law broken. If you did kill someone in a crash and it was not obviously accidental and if your are unsafely loaded or negligent in some similar fashion you will be charged with vehicle manslaughter or whatever they call it in your state (here in PA is Homicide by Motor Vehicle). It is required that you have violated some law before being charged with this, but that could (technically be) you forgot to signal a lane change if you wanted to split hairs.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
Don't criminal charges usually include a broken law? A RV (unless you are talking Motorhomes) will not break a weight law. Speeding, reckless driving, using a mobile device , not paying enough taxes for your weight? Yes . Fifth wheel , travel trailer, truck breaking a weight law? no.
Well not all the time do they include a "broken law"...................The charge is homicide by vehicle. To get to that a prosecutor needs to prove "gross negligence" in most states. There doesn't have to be a specific definition or law to be broken. The word "recklessly" also comes into play. Its not as set in stone and needs to be tied to specific laws or regulations as most people believe.

So someone overloads a vehicle knowingly, and for extra good measure posts that in every forum on the internet along with some pictures, and barrels into another vehicle and kills someone (god forbid). Mr prosecutor gets an idea that the rig was overweight or overloaded and is going to call that gross negligence. He's going to call in Mr expert who will most likely testify that had those numbers not been exceeded, numbers such as payload, GCWR, GVWR etc (knowingly), the vehicle would of been capable of stopping in time, and the accident would of never occurred. Mr and Mrs bleeding heart jury and their other friends are more than likely going to convict based on that, and someone is off to see Billy Bob Jim. Do you really believe it takes breaking a specific law? It doesn't.

As far as a truck breaking a weight law. I don't know how it is where you are but in PA I have a red number 3 sticker on my windshield tied to my vehicle registration. That means I am good up to 9000 lbs GVW. If I was to drop a Cyclone 4250 on it with a pin weight of 3560 and it takes me over that 9000, I'm breaking a law.

The bottom line is it's your decision. If you don't have a problem exceeding recommendations or weight numbers and such, and feel that your logic justifies it, so be it. I'd argue that they come up with those numbers for more reasons than just "stress on gears" as you say but whatever.

I just try to avoid the people that do it on the highway. As a volunteer fireman I have seen the results.

Wheres the popcorn?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #48
Who Dares, Wins

Mr Havercamp: In PA the vehicle laws are in Title 75, Chapter 49 subsection C. They cover the motor vehicles. The sections A and B cover size and height.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Just for poops and giggles and kicks, leaf through some of the idiotic posts in this link. Keep in mind we're talking something with a unibody, a payload of around 1500, 6000 tow rating and 10K GCWR with some models/ years having lower capacities.

Ridgeline's can tow (photos) - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
This one made me sick....
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Mr Havercamp: In PA the vehicle laws are in Title 75, Chapter 49 subsection C. They cover the motor vehicles. The sections A and B cover size and height.

Talk about getting a mybrain headache, try reading through all that horse poopage. I don't see where there is a line between commercial or not?

So I think this would just about cover it;
No vehicle registered as a truck, a combination or a trailer shall be operated with a gross weight in excess of its registered gross weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
This one made me sick....
Amazing isn't it? I'm somewhat of a Honda aficionado and always liked the Ridgeline, but supertruck its not.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #51
Who Dares, Wins

There is not line unless specified. A motor vehicle in PA law speak is any vehicle. A highway in PA speak is any road at all, not just a "highway". Yes it will make your head explode..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #52

Few years back I was directed into a checkpoint being conducted by Georgia DOT enforcement. They were checking both trucks and RV's. Very quick process as all they were looking for was proper installation of safety chains and breakaway cable. At least, that's all they wanted to look at on my trailer. Maybe others got a closer inspection...IDK. The checkpoint was at a normal weight station but nothing was said to me about weight (check location for RVs was off to the side of the scales).
Old 12-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #53
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Few years back I was directed into a checkpoint being conducted by Georgia DOT enforcement. They were checking both trucks and RV's. Very quick process as all they were looking for was proper installation of safety chains and breakaway cable. At least, that's all they wanted to look at on my trailer. Maybe others got a closer inspection...IDK. The checkpoint was at a normal weight station but nothing was said to me about weight (check location for RVs was off to the side of the scales).
I think a few have said that ALL trucks over 5 tons GCWR need to stop in the MD weigh stations according to the state. They do not seem to enforce though.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I think a few have said that ALL trucks over 5 tons GCWR need to stop in the MD weigh stations according to the state. They do not seem to enforce though.

Interesting. My GCWR is listed at 15,490. Never bothered to stop at a weight station, but not worried because actual weight with the TV and TH fully loaded is 13,020.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #55
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Interesting. My GCWR is listed at 15,490. Never bothered to stop at a weight station, but not worried because actual weight with the TV and TH fully loaded is 13,020.
You would still need to technically stop, your over 5 tons. I think ependydad is the one who found the final ruling from the state. For the record, I've never stopped.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #56

[QUOTE=doc73;1049682]Mods do not increase the rating of the truck. I am sure someone (or many) will argue this but the sticker is the sticker. You may think that blower and chip made your truck more capable (and it MAY have) but the rating is still its rating. As far as the computer, just over 10 years ago we had a fatal crash involving a speeding SUV. the computer was sent in and inspected by the maker. It told us how fast the vehicle was going, g forces and all the data about brakes and throttle position. You do not necessary need a "New" vehicle.

Well aware that mods don't increase the capacity mine is just opposite.... need to know reduction..... First thing is I have no weight sticker...... My problem is just in reverse the previous owner removed most of the rear springs and added air bags. I have removed springs from a junked HD truck but I have no idea what was originally on my truck........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #57
Who Dares, Wins

Hmm, now that is an issue.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #58

This is why I hate buying vehicles that have mods........... The Dodge site says 13850 or 14200 trailer tow............ 21,000 combined The loaded weight is 20300 so its under but not by much.... If it had a 410 rear then 15800 or 16200 or combined 23000 but that's in a nice cut & dry world but as I mentioned have no idea what rear spring pack belongs on the truck.... When I bought it it had 3 leaves but the factory helpers were missing as the brackets were on the frame we had to make the spring pack from mine & the donor (long story). Now I am at 6 springs double what was there which I believe to be the factory set up. 4 leaves & two helpers.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #59

Quote:
If your simply spread out over 4 lanes, even if another vehicle is involved and no major injuries, probably not. They might "make a guess" that you were but only from the standpoint of writing you a citation. At that level all you're talking is a couple hundred in potential fines.

If someone over in lane #3 was killed however, you can bet they are going to pick that 4 lanes of trailer apart with a fine tooth comb. I would not be surprised at all if they loaded it all up and hauled it off to the scales.

A young man here in PA of the southern Amish variety lost a flat trailer with a bobcat a few years back, it went into the opposite lane and killed some people. He's doing some major jail time. Being overloaded was part of it in addition to some other things like improper tie downs, inoperative brakes etc. They had to cart that mess off the road and weigh it somehow you would think?
Not disagreeing with you but he would likely be considered commercial, but I doubt very serious that the vehicle was actually weighed. The citation would be written if the appearance was there & up to you to prove otherwise. IE just say an average bobcat weighs about 10,000 lbs and was on a trailer rated at 7500 (yes I made the weight up I know someone will say no a bobcat actually weighs X)........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #60
Who Dares, Wins

were not to far off on the weight... I know, got run over by one..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
towing