Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Towing a 2 door Jeep Wrangler

We just bought a FR3 30DS. Trying to educate ourselves on best options to tow a 2 door Jeep.
Our preferred options was to use a dolly to tow to primarily keep our cost down but just read that Jeep doesn’t recommend towing without having all 4 wheels on the ground.

So the other option is to buy and install a tow bar like a Blue Ox? But then we’d need to also install a break system and wiring for signaling?

Does mileage on the towed car accumulate when you’re towing it?

Any other option we should consider?

TIA!
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Blue Ox is a great option. It would be my choice based off my father-in-laws recommendation.

The dolly is a pain when camping, because you can't leave it at your camp site at many campgrounds. It's yet another piece of equipment your have to store and maintain (tires and bearings).

Brake controllers run the gamut. From the Brake Buddy to a hardwired solution. You will get a thousand opinions, but the brake buddy is good enough overall.

Mileage. That depends on the year of the Jeep. Many Jeeps mileage was run from within the transmission, so if it isn't spinning, no mileage is counted. So it depends on the transmission (manual vs auto vs neutral) The best answer is "it depends".

If it were me, I would tow if four flat. There is a reason you see most people towing this way.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I tow a 4 dr Wrangler and use Blue Ox towbar and the Blue Ox Autostop. It's a hard wired system and works like a surge brake system. The wiring can be done easy enough and there's a harness that plugs right into the existing Jeep wiring. Anything after '07 doesn't accumulate miles as you tow, pretty sure earlier models don't either.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I tow a 4 dr Wrangler and use Blue Ox towbar and the Blue Ox Autostop. It's a hard wired system and works like a surge brake system. The wiring can be done easy enough and there's a harness that plugs right into the existing Jeep wiring. Anything after '07 doesn't accumulate miles as you tow, pretty sure earlier models don't either.
Thanks for your input.
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Whenever my CR-V takes a dirt nap, it is most definitely a 2DR Jeep, 4 down. Of course unless it outlasts the MH!

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

I tow a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door using a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar (its aluminium so the lightest) and a Blue Ox Patriot braking system. It tows so well I don't even realize it's there so I keep my backup camera on full time so that I can check on it.
Gray46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #7

I tow a 2 door 2018 Jeep Wrangler 4 down with a blue ox avail and a patriot 2 braking system. Really easy and it doesn’t add mileage. Not sure about other years.
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

I tow my Jeep Wrangler Sport using the Blue Ox towing system with NO problems whatsoever BUT do not try to back up!!!!!
santarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Towing a 2 door Jeep Wrangler

I've been towing a 2-door 2006 Wrangler for two years now logging about 16,000 miles. My tow equipment is a Roadmaster "Falcon All Terrain Edition" with a Roadmaster "invisibrake" Braking system. I am totally satisfied with the system. The company also was very helpful when I needed to replace a couple of key parts (my bad) that I lost because I was careless with the parts when not towing. Also, when towing I put the transfer case and the gear shift in neutral (that's a must). When I turn off the engine by backing off the ignition key one stop, then mileage is not recorded. If I leave the key in the accessory position (the second stop), then mileage is recorded. When arriving at a destination I also remove the key so the Jeep battery does not run down. (I learned the hard way when parked at a rv park for three nights without removing the key.)
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by santarich View Post
I tow my Jeep Wrangler Sport using the Blue Ox towing system with NO problems whatsoever BUT do not try to back up!!!!!
Awwww.....backing up builds character! So far for moi, no bent tow equipment or frame damage. Slow and steady and ONLY as necessary!

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
We just bought a FR3 30DS. Trying to educate ourselves on best options to tow a 2 door Jeep.
Our preferred options was to use a dolly to tow to primarily keep our cost down but just read that Jeep doesn’t recommend towing without having all 4 wheels on the ground.

So the other option is to buy and install a tow bar like a Blue Ox? But then we’d need to also install a break system and wiring for signaling?

Does mileage on the towed car accumulate when you’re towing it?

Any other option we should consider?

TIA!
I don't tow a jeep but I used blue ox baseplate and tow bar (you must have built in baseplate attached to frame of car) and a Roadmaster Invisibrake. Went with the hard wired Invisibrake because I have heard some have had trouble with the kind you place on the floor. If you look on e-trailer.com they have step by step videos for installation of base plate and I believe the Invisibrake.
Also Invisibrake has all the light wiring in the package deal

Might be more work going the tow bar method, not sure of the total cost of parts vs dolly. I did my own install on everything so labour cost was nil. Probably six or seven hours for baseplate and braking system at a shop.

Can tell you this, It takes just a minute to unhook car from motorhome and three minutes to hook up, only because I have to run car in neutral for three minutes before shutting off engine. I have seen dolly owners take up to thirty minutes to hook up dolly, drive car on and secure car. Not saying everyone takes that long and many may say who cares.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #12

Just be sure your Jeep configuration is right for all down towing. Then ignition will off while towing so won’t accrue miles.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47driver View Post
Blue Ox is a great option. It would be my choice based off my father-in-laws recommendation.

The dolly is a pain when camping, because you can't leave it at your camp site at many campgrounds. It's yet another piece of equipment your have to store and maintain (tires and bearings).

Brake controllers run the gamut. From the Brake Buddy to a hardwired solution. You will get a thousand opinions, but the brake buddy is good enough overall.

Mileage. That depends on the year of the Jeep. Many Jeeps mileage was run from within the transmission, so if it isn't spinning, no mileage is counted. So it depends on the transmission (manual vs auto vs neutral) The best answer is "it depends".

If it were me, I would tow if four flat. There is a reason you see most people towing this way.
Manual or Auto, it doesn't matter. Its all in the transfer case.
FR240FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Earlier models don't register mileage either.
FR240FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #15

I have been towing a wrangler for couple years. Blue ox makes a mechanical brake system for use on their towbar. It is simple and fool proof no electronics or pumps to fail it does have a red light indicator that you install in dash simple one hole, it lights when brakes applied. Its cost was under 200. I had brake buddy it failed multiple times plus this stays installed on jeep let me know if you want more info. I also picked up some magnetic tail lights from harbor freight for less than 20 bucke work good on rear bumper.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #16

I don't know if this is the best set up but a highly rated hitch shop near me recommended and recently installed the following on my '98 2 door TJ (automatic) for about $2500 - unknown brand universal tow bar with connectors that were mounted to the bumper (not a baseplate), and a Blue Ox Patriot II supplemental brake system. Included all safety cables and wiring. It worked fine for us on our 1600 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies and back.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellee View Post
I don't know if this is the best set up but a highly rated hitch shop near me recommended and recently installed the following on my '98 2 door TJ (automatic) for about $2500 - unknown brand universal tow bar with connectors that were mounted to the bumper (not a baseplate), and a Blue Ox Patriot II supplemental brake system. Included all safety cables and wiring. It worked fine for us on our 1600 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies and back.
Not sure how it was mounted to bumper but almost all universal tow bars that attach only to the bumper are illegal in Canada. And to clarify to some that say if it is legal in your state or province it is legal in other states or provinces, not so!
Maybe the jeep bumper set up is more attached to the frame and works the same as baseplate, I can see that being a possibility as jeeps are more robust than most vehicles. Hate to see someone stopped and told you need to have a baseplate, that would be a holiday spoiler.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Not sure how it was mounted to bumper but almost all universal tow bars that attach only to the bumper are illegal in Canada. And to clarify to some that say if it is legal in your state or province it is legal in other states or provinces, not so!
Maybe the jeep bumper set up is more attached to the frame and works the same as baseplate, I can see that being a possibility as jeeps are more robust than most vehicles. Hate to see someone stopped and told you need to have a baseplate, that would be a holiday spoiler.
I had no idea about this and although I mentioned that we were headed to Canada to them the sellers/installers never said anything. They may not have known either. I'm not going to re-do it, seemed quite adequate to me, but maybe the OP or the next person should keep this in mind and check it out.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rider View Post
I've been towing a 2-door 2006 Wrangler for two years now logging about 16,000 miles. My tow equipment is a Roadmaster "Falcon All Terrain Edition" with a Roadmaster "invisibrake" Braking system. I am totally satisfied with the system. The company also was very helpful when I needed to replace a couple of key parts (my bad) that I lost because I was careless with the parts when not towing. Also, when towing I put the transfer case and the gear shift in neutral (that's a must). When I turn off the engine by backing off the ignition key one stop, then mileage is not recorded. If I leave the key in the accessory position (the second stop), then mileage is recorded. When arriving at a destination I also remove the key so the Jeep battery does not run down. (I learned the hard way when parked at a rv park for three nights without removing the key.)
I have the Invisibrake . Just wondering, have you found you were not getting the braking from your towed? I would stop and check heat from rotors on my towed and it was only warm even when cranking up the gain on brake controller. I tightened up the cable to brake pedal and it was much better (Break in period I suppose). I purchased an infrared heat monitor and during my travels in just the car I was surprised at how hot the brakes got so I cranked up the controller and matched the heat signature to when being towed behind the motorhome. What a difference in stopping power! Way better cornering downhill and on the brakes. Motorhome used to want to drift a bit on braking, way better now.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rider View Post
Per the owner's manual, the transfer case should be in neutral but the transmission should always be in gear, park for automatics.
Gbegoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, towing