Old 11-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Towing a 2 door Jeep Wrangler

We just bought a FR3 30DS. Trying to educate ourselves on best options to tow a 2 door Jeep.
Our preferred options was to use a dolly to tow to primarily keep our cost down but just read that Jeep doesn’t recommend towing without having all 4 wheels on the ground.

So the other option is to buy and install a tow bar like a Blue Ox? But then we’d need to also install a break system and wiring for signaling?

Does mileage on the towed car accumulate when you’re towing it?

Any other option we should consider?

TIA!

borismkogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Blue Ox is a great option. It would be my choice based off my father-in-laws recommendation.

The dolly is a pain when camping, because you can't leave it at your camp site at many campgrounds. It's yet another piece of equipment your have to store and maintain (tires and bearings).

Brake controllers run the gamut. From the Brake Buddy to a hardwired solution. You will get a thousand opinions, but the brake buddy is good enough overall.

Mileage. That depends on the year of the Jeep. Many Jeeps mileage was run from within the transmission, so if it isn't spinning, no mileage is counted. So it depends on the transmission (manual vs auto vs neutral) The best answer is "it depends".

If it were me, I would tow if four flat. There is a reason you see most people towing this way.

2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I tow a 4 dr Wrangler and use Blue Ox towbar and the Blue Ox Autostop. It's a hard wired system and works like a surge brake system. The wiring can be done easy enough and there's a harness that plugs right into the existing Jeep wiring. Anything after '07 doesn't accumulate miles as you tow, pretty sure earlier models don't either.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I tow a 4 dr Wrangler and use Blue Ox towbar and the Blue Ox Autostop. It's a hard wired system and works like a surge brake system. The wiring can be done easy enough and there's a harness that plugs right into the existing Jeep wiring. Anything after '07 doesn't accumulate miles as you tow, pretty sure earlier models don't either.
Thanks for your input.
borismkogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Whenever my CR-V takes a dirt nap, it is most definitely a 2DR Jeep, 4 down. Of course unless it outlasts the MH!

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

I tow a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door using a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar (its aluminium so the lightest) and a Blue Ox Patriot braking system. It tows so well I don't even realize it's there so I keep my backup camera on full time so that I can check on it.
Gray46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #7

I tow a 2 door 2018 Jeep Wrangler 4 down with a blue ox avail and a patriot 2 braking system. Really easy and it doesn’t add mileage. Not sure about other years.
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

I tow my Jeep Wrangler Sport using the Blue Ox towing system with NO problems whatsoever BUT do not try to back up!!!!!
santarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Towing a 2 door Jeep Wrangler

I've been towing a 2-door 2006 Wrangler for two years now logging about 16,000 miles. My tow equipment is a Roadmaster "Falcon All Terrain Edition" with a Roadmaster "invisibrake" Braking system. I am totally satisfied with the system. The company also was very helpful when I needed to replace a couple of key parts (my bad) that I lost because I was careless with the parts when not towing. Also, when towing I put the transfer case and the gear shift in neutral (that's a must). When I turn off the engine by backing off the ignition key one stop, then mileage is not recorded. If I leave the key in the accessory position (the second stop), then mileage is recorded. When arriving at a destination I also remove the key so the Jeep battery does not run down. (I learned the hard way when parked at a rv park for three nights without removing the key.)
2017 - 189 Days and 8,857 miles
2018 - 157 Days and 4,935 miles
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by santarich View Post
I tow my Jeep Wrangler Sport using the Blue Ox towing system with NO problems whatsoever BUT do not try to back up!!!!!
Awwww.....backing up builds character! So far for moi, no bent tow equipment or frame damage. Slow and steady and ONLY as necessary!

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, towing