Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Question Towing a 2013 Wildwood 32BHDS with 08 Tundra Crewmax

I have a 08 Tundra Crewmax and am looking at a 2013 Wildwood 32BHDS and some other trailers like it. How's your's tow? That seems like a pretty decent amount of tongue weight definitely over listed capacity for payload right?

You are in Wisconsin and I'm in Washington. Have you encountered any major grades? I just returned from a trip that had two separate grade several miles long each at 7% grade.

Thanks!
lvnthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

Larry Cavens here , well that's quite a load for that truck, first whats the dry weight of the trailer, second whats the towing capacity of the truck as 7000lbs is alot of weight going up hill/ make sure two things 1 a good Tranny cooler is used in series with the stock unit a good Tranny shop will be your best guide and secondly get a oil cooler for the engine installed as these newer trucks run with 5w30 oil as well maybe to be on the safe side go to a 10w30 grade of oil and mind the O2 sensor will be put to extreme heat that might cause it to fail as mine did in my Ford F150 and make sure your cooling system is in top shape and you have a double core radiator as you don't want to blow a head gasket
RV Wizerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

The towing capacity on the truck is 10100. I have read several posts on heavy towing with the Tundra. The drivetrain is generally never in question, it's usually the low payload rating which doesn't allow the truck to really tow the 10100 with a proper tongue weight of 10%+. The stock cooling on the truck is exceptional and it has a tranny temp gauge in the stock cluster. It has lower rear end gears due to the 6 speed auto. The trans has a tow/haul mode to reduce hunting and a manual override as well. The trans also has a AI gear down for that uses engine braking through the computer, I have never seen that on a truck before. The main issue is the payload and the owners I am speaking with along with several loaded pictures are reducing my anxiety there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizerd View Post
Larry Cavens here , well that's quite a load for that truck, first whats the dry weight of the trailer, second whats the towing capacity of the truck as 7000lbs is alot of weight going up hill/ make sure two things 1 a good Tranny cooler is used in series with the stock unit a good Tranny shop will be your best guide and secondly get a oil cooler for the engine installed as these newer trucks run with 5w30 oil as well maybe to be on the safe side go to a 10w30 grade of oil and mind the O2 sensor will be put to extreme heat that might cause it to fail as mine did in my Ford F150 and make sure your cooling system is in top shape and you have a double core radiator as you don't want to blow a head gasket
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

(I Moved your post from another thread to its own).

OP,
That trailer is 7,995 lbs dry and has a 3000lbs CCC. Its also 36' long. Big and heavy for a half-ton IMHO. I would advise a smaller trailer.

Your truck is rated to tow 10100lbs but this was before Toyota reduced their caps to correspond with J2807. I believe the 2012 Crewmax can tow a max that is under 10,000lbs. Sometimes significantly under depending on the package

What is the payload cap? As you mention, the payload is part of the problem (with almost any half-ton).

Basically, do not implicitly trust what other owners have done. I tow with a Sequoia and am on the Toyotatundraforum site occasionally. Its shocking what some of them do with their tow setups. Way overweight but a few insist to high heaven that this is the best towing setup possible

You need to do the math and the calculations with a setup this close.

Your trailer is going to come to you weighing close to 8,400lbs from the factory and then you are going to load your cargo into it. Assuming cargo, a little water, battery(ies), and propane, I bet this trailer weighs in at well over 9,000lbs.

At a minimum of 9,000lbs, the tongue weight will probably be 1,200lbs. Not many tow with the TW at 10%. I find 13% to be good for my setup. You may be between 10-15%.

So, those are closing in on your max for GVWR and maybe your payload once you count your passengers and what you plan to carry in the bed of the truck. So, I encourage you to use this calculator to verify things for yourself.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

It depends on what crewmax you have if its a 4x4 the tow max is only 9000. I will tell you this I have a Nissan Titan right now and i pull a 26 foot toy hauler and at its heaviest it weighs 6800 lbs and it at my trucks limits. It does ok on flat but hills are tough. My dad has a tundra with the 5.7 and I tried it with his truck cause I was gonna get a tundra. I will just tell you this I am getting a dodge with a cummins diesel. And with that trailer being 36 feet long that is way to much for a half ton. IMO.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

My 2 cents; That is a huge trailer to haul with a half-ton. You’re pushing the limits of its capability. Will it tow it? I'm sure it will, but for how long. Will it stop it? Not sure. You don’t want the tail waggin the dog. My truck weights 1/3 more than my trailer and I’m sure darn happy about that. If your lookin for advice (guess that why you posted) I would downsize TT or upsize tow vehicle. Again, my 2 cents.
Happy camping.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

Wow! That's a whopping big trailer to be pulling.
Will the powertrain handle it? Probably
The Tundra's engine and tranny are very well built.
But....
Hanging a 36' 10,000 lb. trailer off the back of a Tundra Crewmax does not sound like something I would want to do.

I am pulling 8,200 lbs with mine with 1,150 lbs of pin weight.
I'm right at the line man.
Go get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Maybe even a long bed.

If I had the chance for a do-over, thatr's what I would do.

I'm not knocking the truck. It's a fine 1/2 ton.

You are in BIG truck territiry with that kind of a load.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Pug Dads

I have a 2007 tundra 5.7 with tow package double cab . Tow max with the truck is 1060. I pull a 35 foot windjammer by forest river. Wt 7100 dry and over 8000 loaded. I have no problems towing the camper with this truck. Tundra as great towing capacity
cheatham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #9

Forums are funny.

The moderator moved my post. I was responding to an
OP that had the exact same truck and trailer in his signature, asking him how it towed. On top of that, it somehow grew into a 36 foot, 10,000 pound trailer.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #10

1/3 more

I am anxious for you to find a conventional truck that weighs a third more than an 8,000 pound trailer that someone can reasonably drive as a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
My 2 cents; That is a huge trailer to haul with a half-ton. You’re pushing the limits of its capability. Will it tow it? I'm sure it will, but for how long. Will it stop it? Not sure. You don’t want the tail waggin the dog. My truck weights 1/3 more than my trailer and I’m sure darn happy about that. If your lookin for advice (guess that why you posted) I would downsize TT or upsize tow vehicle. Again, my 2 cents.
Happy camping.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnthenw View Post
the moderator moved my post. I was responding to an
op that had the exact same truck and trailer in his signature, asking him how it towed. On top of that, it somehow grew into a 36 foot, 10,000 pound trailer.
Maybe I have the wrong unit but this is what I found at the FR site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	32BHDS 8-9-2012 5-15-40 PM.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	17789

BTW Looks like a really nice trailer too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #12

Wrong one but very close.

Try this link.

< Heartland Lightweight Trailers | Heartland RVs

This link claims it can be towed by a Tundra but that's strictly based off of printed tow capacity.

< Heartland Lightweight Trailers | Heartland RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Maybe I have the wrong unit but this is what I found at the FR site:

Attachment 17789

BTW Looks like a really nice trailer too.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The trailer you mentioned in your post was the 2013 Wildwood 32BHDS. I think that is the confusion here. It sounded like you were looking at that trailer. Sorry if that is not the case

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
Site Team

Oops - so I did have the wrong trailer after all. Sorry.

What I liked about the links you provided were the towing guide. At last year's RV show there were a Tango unit I liked and their website lists the payload number.

While I would still run the numbers (via towing people here) I find it helpful to know which TV are out the door from the start.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #15

Very similar TT as ours as far as weights. We are pulling it with a 5.4L. Your truck has 65 hp more than ours. You won't have any issues with power. Our truck weighed about 7550# with wife, daughter, dog and TT attached. I am guessing that is over your GVW. The three of use probably don't weigh 375# together. I have a 1400/14000# Equalizer Hitch and have towed all over the northern part of the east coast. It rarely sways and is easy to tow.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #16

OP I have a 2010 CM 2wd and a trailer with similar numbers. Weekend trips it come in At 7800-8000# weeklong trips 8400#. I have no problem pulling or stopping and with my reese dual cam properly adjusted, no sway! Climbed 7-8% grades at 50mph and could accelerate (tried it for a moment just to see if it could). Engine is a beast

Negatives
Truck has 7000 gvwr, before i put trailer on with kids, de and gas i weigh 6030# lvg me with 970# of capacity. Weighed tongue last trip out with a neighbors sureline scale.... 920 and we had removed a few items from the trailer. A few time had to adjust the load behind axels. (though it tows better with more on the tongue)

Squishy backend (not sway) solved with Mich M/S2 e rated 10 ply tires rather than the p rated BF that were stock

Overall i have an engine of a 3/4 ton gasser, stock brakes are 16" and am satisfied but still have cargo capacity of a 1/2ton and i will be upgrading to a f350 as soon as the boss lets me
Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #17

I'm towing a 30ft, 8000# XLR with a '07 Tundra Crew Max. Went over much of sw colorado this summer with no problems. Used some extra rpm maintaining 60 on some highway climbs (3000+) but not for long. I never felt the truck was struggling for power or control. Only average about 9 mpg, though. Was extra hot there this summer (101 on Mesa Verde) and there was no increase in engine or trans temps from normal. The truck was loaded within it's GVWR but the rear axle was overloaded until I readjusted the WD hitch to move some weight forward. The biggest issue I see with 1/2 ton trucks is the payload capacity. Even if the tow rating is 9000 or 10000 lbs, the tongue weight can easily push the payload too high. Anything in the bed just aggravates the problem. Some of the newer 1/2 tons have a higher load capacity so may be less of a problem.

I love my Tundra but even with this trailer, I would prefer a 3/4 ton to have some extra margin in capacity. I wouldn't have to be so careful throwing in those extra items I always seem to want along.
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #18

I'm towing a Tracer 3150BHD with a 2011 4WD 5.7L Tundra Doublecab TRD. The trailer is 6930 dry and I'm suing a Pro Series setup with friction sway control bar. I have the trailer loaded with probably 600 pounds of gear and really don't seem to have any problems. I know the trailer is there without a doubt but in "tow/haul" mode and reasonable speed, it's impressive. I just pulled it over 3,000 feet vertical from Luray, VA over the Shenendoah's and it performed without issue. I'm using the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller which seems to work well. All that said, I don't think I'd go much heavier. The truck would handle it but I would be concerned about the wear and tear.
wna3150BHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #19

Although I am a 5er person, I had a Chev 1500 when I stated looking at 5ers. Many said that they could be pulled by a 1/2 ton including the one that I did buy. At 9,950 lbs loaded, I would never attempt to tow it with a 1/2 ton pickup, any 1/2 ton. I know that it is hard to pay $40,000 for a truck to tow a fiver, but looking for used 3/4 ton diesels made me sick. Go to ebay and look at 3/4 ton diesel pickups, the asking prices will shock you,for trucks that have over 100,000 miles. They will say that the engin is good for 300,000 miles, but the rest of the truck is not.
Good luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #20

I ended up buying the same trailer as the member above! Tracer 3150, double slide bunkhouse with outside kitchen. Towed it home from Salt Lake City last weekend and then took it out again this weekend. Truck handles the trailer great. 750 miles on the way home, encountered some decent traffic and very high winds north of Boise. No sway, no significant bounce or porpoising (I think I might be able to do some fine tuning on the hitch/load distribution inside the trailer), speed limit on all grades and no problem descending at all. Acceleration is actually pretty surprising.

Name:	image-1257868783.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	20066
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1957765394.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	20067  

2008 Tundra Crewmax