Old 12-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Towing a 2015 Puma 253FBS With F150

Hi Everybody

I have a 2011 ecoboost with the 7700 GVWR with payload of 1825lbs and a rear axle rating of 4050lbs. Max tow package with 3:73 ratio. I have purchased a 2015 Puma 253 FBS 5th wheel that is 27 feet long and has a dry pin weight of 1026 lbs. The dry weight is about 6950lbs and the GVWR is around 9100lbs (which I'm sure I will never get to). My truck with a full tank of gas and myself and my dad (sitting in for my wife) weighed 6415lbs in total and the front axle weighed 3638lbs and the rear axle weighed 2778 lbs. That leaves me 1285lbs for the hitch and trailer. I did replace the P tires with E load tires. I'm a little nervous about being over weight.

I am waiting for the new 2015 F150's. I should be able to get one with a maximum payload of 2500 to 2800 lbs, which is equivalent to some gas job 3/4 tons (I know diesels are better for towing, but I really don't want one). The maximum payload also come with 7 bolt axles, a bigger gear set, better cooling, extra springs and LT tires.

I have seen people towing this 5th wheel with the F150, and have been told that they have no issues.

Anyone out there tow these things?

Any thoughts?

Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
I talked with an automotive engineer about my 2500hd GMC. He stated that ideally you need the stay below 90% of the rear axle/tire minus the normal weight on the rear wheels. For you that would be .90 x (4050 - 2778). It looks like you can stay within those tolerances if you keep a hell of a lot of additional weight out of the trailer and the truck. He said never exceed the rear axle rating.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, f150, puma