Old 01-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #21

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:23 PM   #22

I saw a small Chevy van pulling a VW on a trailer. Just on a receiver and ball,,, NO chains and NO bars. When touching the break or gas pedal there would be sparks. Doubt he saw much other than tree tops.....

Old 01-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #23

And this is a side effect of the HP wars. Engines with more power than the rest of the truck can handle.

Tow ratings are more than just HP. Your rear axle is likely over loaded. Your transmission cooler is probably inadequate. Brakes are probably just enough, and a trailer that weighs 2.5x your truck. Ford tow ratings are based on a 60sqft frontal area. That's 8.5' x 7'.

42' with a f150...SMH.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #24

Recipe for disaster even going a few miles away. I am rated for 11,200 but will not go anywhere near that, especially when you factor in road conditions, heat, brakes and idiots who cut you off when your riding in the right lane @ 65 mph, no wiggle room towing that heavy and that large

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Recipe for disaster even going a few miles away. I am rated for 11,200 but will not go anywhere near that, especially when you factor in road conditions, heat, brakes and idiots who cut you off when your riding in the right lane @ 65 mph, no wiggle room towing that heavy and that large

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Agree ~~ I'm rated around 15,000 and stating around 11,500 max. The idiots are scary..
Old 01-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #26

This all brings up a question I have. I am pulling a 7k(empty) lb Rockwood 2906 WS with my 2013 F-150 Extended Cab with 5.0l. Towing capacity is 8,100. Now that we've got it fitted out with dishes and whatnot, I have been meaning to weigh it, but I am sure I am not over(famous last words).

My question is, we've had it out five times since we got it in November and when driving along a two lane, if there is a big gust of wind I am like "whoa!". Now, granted, since I am new ANY movement in the seat of my pants will cause a pucker. Any pogo, anything. I have the Equalizer 4 point hitch, so there isn't much. Where we have been going causes us to drive through three construction zones on a two lane highway so they are quite narrow. Which makes me paranoid all the more. So I just slow it down a bit. What does the traffic behind me lose if they have to go 45mph for three miles vs the 60mph they would go if I wasn't there? A minute?

But I'm just thinking, the same truck as mine with a lower rear end and the tow capacity jumps to 9,600. Throw in an ecoboost and an even lower rear end and you are over 11,000. But the overall platform hasn't changed much. It's still 148"WB. Still weighs about the same. Tires might be a little different. Maybe a frame upgrade? But when things get really windy or you have to do a panic stop....will they be THAT much more stable? Because right now it is "fine". I have all the power I need for Florida for sure and get 8.5-9.5mpg so far, but would that extra capacity of a 11 or 12k tow package actually translate into more stability?

That is the question. Does added capacity equal more stability? Going from an SUV to a truck? Sure. From an F-150 to an F-350 or even F-250? I would imagine dragging this rig with an F-250 would be different. But added capacity on the same platform? Would a person notice a difference pulling the same rig?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #27

I doubt you would find much difference in stability ~~ probably no difference. A different axel ratio or EB engine will have nothing to help stability. Still on the same F150 platform. Would a F250 make a difference~~ sure. I pulled a 7000# TT (5800 dry advertised weight was more than 320# light) with an F150 2.7 EB Equalizer hitch with sway control and had no problem. I always cracked a window on each side a little. I always had the truck built in sway control on but some shut that off. My hitch was 1000/10,000. Crosswinds and passing trucks had little effect through the flatlands or the NC mountains. Your ADVERTISED 7000# dry weight is possibly about 500 light. You need to know your trailer weight and hitch weight ~~ sounds possible your hitch weight is light. If towing with full water along with "dishes and whatnot" it is possible you are over 8100# too.

Thinking about that ~~ the hitch needs to get on Craigslist when I get home from FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
This all brings up a question I have. I am pulling a 7k(empty) lb Rockwood 2906 WS with my 2013 F-150 Extended Cab with 5.0l. Towing capacity is 8,100. Now that we've got it fitted out with dishes and whatnot, I have been meaning to weigh it, but I am sure I am not over(famous last words).

My question is, we've had it out five times since we got it in November and when driving along a two lane, if there is a big gust of wind I am like "whoa!". Now, granted, since I am new ANY movement in the seat of my pants will cause a pucker. Any pogo, anything. I have the Equalizer 4 point hitch, so there isn't much. Where we have been going causes us to drive through three construction zones on a two lane highway so they are quite narrow. Which makes me paranoid all the more. So I just slow it down a bit. What does the traffic behind me lose if they have to go 45mph for three miles vs the 60mph they would go if I wasn't there? A minute?

But I'm just thinking, the same truck as mine with a lower rear end and the tow capacity jumps to 9,600. Throw in an ecoboost and an even lower rear end and you are over 11,000. But the overall platform hasn't changed much. It's still 148"WB. Still weighs about the same. Tires might be a little different. Maybe a frame upgrade? But when things get really windy or you have to do a panic stop....will they be THAT much more stable? Because right now it is "fine". I have all the power I need for Florida for sure and get 8.5-9.5mpg so far, but would that extra capacity of a 11 or 12k tow package actually translate into more stability?

That is the question. Does added capacity equal more stability? Going from an SUV to a truck? Sure. From an F-150 to an F-350 or even F-250? I would imagine dragging this rig with an F-250 would be different. But added capacity on the same platform? Would a person notice a difference pulling the same rig?
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #28

If towing a 7k empty trailer with a 8100 tow capacity...

I have a family of 4 and a dog. Loaded up my truck is 700lbs over empty sticker weight. That counts against payload, GCVW, and Tow capacity.

It's not just the inanimate objects jn the trailer that count against tow capacity.

Your truck isn't any more or less stable than a standard EB with lower gears.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #29

Towing a 2015 wildwood with a 2015 Ford F-150 eco boost

Correct I have said that an F150 is about the same no matter what config you get, brakes are the same etc. you have to consider the area you are driving I saw one guy pulling a 35 ft trailer with an F150 5.0 to me EB or not that trailer is way too long for a 1/2 ton, I went from a 32ft trailer with 11'5" height and TW 1,000 and trailer 7000 to a Roo 25 ft height 10'5" and TW 580 weight 5100 and much easier with the Anderson hitch, smaller is better for me

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 02-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #30

Sooooo, I just pulled a 36' Vibe 308BHS all the way from Michigan to Oklahoma Saturday and into Sunday.

I had no issues whatsoever while towing with my 12' Ecoboosted F150 with the highway 3.15 gears. I used the equalizer four way 14k/1400. No problems at 65 mph through flatlands of Illinois. A few hills in Missouri I'd speed up to 70 down and then slow to about 55-60 going up. Transmission never got any hotter than it does while not towing.

You guys should relax a little bit. How you drive and maintain your vehicle is far more important.

Tow however you feel is right and what feels comfortable while driving. If you can't control your rig properly, then park it.

ffsoapboxnow:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
ford, towing, wildwood