Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

Towing a 2608bs

Hi,
My wife and I just purchase a 2608bs, Ready to start a new chapter in our lives. I wasn’t worried about my tow vehicle (neither was my salesman) until reading some of the treads!
OK, i have a 2009 GMC Denali Suv, with 6.2, i have plans to purchase a new 2020 Suv.
Any thoughts?
DougP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

I weighed my 2608bs loaded for camping and with a full water tank (60 gal) and it was 7500 lbs. With the full tank my tongue weight was 9.9% which is on the lighter side of the proper range. The water tank is located in the rear of the trailer which I’m sure caused my light tongue weight. I haven’t weighed it with the tank empty but plan to do so when the season for me opens up again.

I only towed it twice with a full tank, one trip about 40 miles and another trip about 90 miles, both on two lane highways at 60 mph. With my 3/4 ton pickup it towed fine with no sway but did experience just a little bit of waggle. Nothing concerning tho.

I don’t know how your SUV will do, of course check your payload and understand you will have 700-900 lbs of tongue weight. The 6.2 should have plenty of power, my concern would be payload as I’m guessing a Denali would be a very loaded (read heavy) SUV.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougP View Post
Hi,
My wife and I just purchase a 2608bs, Ready to start a new chapter in our lives. I wasn’t worried about my tow vehicle (neither was my salesman) until reading some of the treads!
OK, i have a 2009 GMC Denali Suv, with 6.2, i have plans to purchase a new 2020 Suv.
Any thoughts?
Need to know more about your Denali:

Factory tow package, HD or basic?
Rear end ratio?
Payload Capacity from driver's door yellow sticker?
Total weight of everyone, including driver, in vehicle?
Total weight of cargo in vehicle?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #4

Hi,
Thanks for your help!

Yes, Factory tow package, HD
Rear end ratio 3.42
Payload Capacity from driver's door yellow sticker 1505lbs
Total weight of everyone, including driver, in vehicle 450lbs (max)
Total weight of cargo in vehicle?[/QUOTE] 400lbs
Old 01-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for your help!

Yes, Factory tow package, HD
Rear end ratio 3.42
Payload Capacity from driver's door yellow sticker 1505lbs
Total weight of everyone, including driver, in vehicle 450lbs (max)
Total weight of cargo in vehicle?
400lbs[/QUOTE]

Thanx. Now for adding up the numbers.

1505lbs - 850lbs= 655lbs. Subtract 100lbs for WDH weight, leaves 555lbs for tongue weight.
Fictional "dry" tongue weight is 796lbs(actual loaded tongue weight will be closer to 1000lbs)

Using the bogus 796 number, puts you over payload by 241lbs. That's BEFORE you add the weights of batteries, water and cargo in the trailer.

If your first two numbers are correct, this trailer is too much for your Denali, tongue weight-wise. That front kitchen and dinette will add a lot of tongue weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
400lbs

1505lbs - 850lbs= 655lbs. Subtract 100lbs for WDH weight, leaves 555lbs for tongue weight.
Fictional "dry" tongue weight is 796lbs(actual loaded tongue weight will be closer to 1000lbs)

Using the bogus 796 number, puts you over payload by 241lbs. That's BEFORE you add the weights of batteries, water and cargo in the trailer.

If your first two numbers are correct, this trailer is too much for your Denali, tongue weight-wise. That front kitchen and dinette will add a lot of tongue weight.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 PM   #7

You should read the thread how do commercial drivers do it. Yes I started but it provides a different prospective on the payload sticker
Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:

If your first two numbers are correct, this trailer is too much for your Denali, tongue weight-wise. That front kitchen and dinette will add a lot of tongue weight.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I wish i researched this before i purchased my new trailer
So if you take Max payload and subtract the cargo weight, you get the max tongue weight.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I wasn’t worried about my tow vehicle (neither was my salesman) until reading some of the treads!
Let me guess, you bought from Best RV! [emoji32]
Old 01-27-2020, 03:08 AM   #10
Site Team

Thanks! I wish i researched this before i purchased my new trailer
So if you take Max payload and subtract the cargo weight, you get the max tongue weight.[/QUOTE]

No, you subtract the weights of all occupants(including driver), truck cargo and WDH from the Denali's max payload number.
What you have left, would be the max loaded tongue weight you can have.
The trailer's brochure/website fictional dry tongue weight does not include the weights of trailer battery, trailer options/add-ons, water or trailer cargo.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #11

If you are looking at a new TV anyway it is best to learn this now or you could end up trading in your new SUV for a new truck...I sadly did not learn before and paid through the nose trying to make it work before I could upgrade to something I didnt have to worry about. Learn how to weigh your trailer and truck as it could save you lots.

At 900-1000lbs tongue weight and a family you will be hard pressed to stay in an suv though you may find something now. Remeber kids grow fast from 30lbs to 100lbs in as little as a season or two and you will already be 100-200 hundred pounds over payload without gear in the suv at the weights you provided.

Your problem will not be power because your gearing seems low but when that far over payload you will be way over on your rear axle weights. This is likely to cause some stability problems even with the best anti-sway WDH from my experience. Water tanks in the back help the tongue weight but suck for stability...

At that weight a half ton truck could be doable but does not leave a lot of room for growth if enough to begin with so keep that in mind. A half ton will have similar payloads as you have now with your current SUV.

If you go to buy something take it home for a test tow so you know. Tow your trailer to the nearest scale and see what real numbers are and see where you are compared to max axle weights. This provides real information and seat of pants comfort level. Then you have to make a decision on what you think is best before you buy your new truck....err SUV.

Congrats on the new trailer!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #12

If you have towed before and are comfortable, you can absolutely tow that camper safely. You'll be over on payload, and close on your rear axle weight rating, but it's definitely doable (I did it for a couple of years with an Escalade and a similar weight trailer). The Denali has the same running gear as the Silverado Max Tow package...the limiting rating is based of the rear coil spring suspension. You can also move that 400# of cargo to the camper to save some weight on the tow vehicle.

Having said that, if you're in the market anyway for a new vehicle, I'd go with a 3/4 ton truck.....much better towing experience.

Tags
towing