Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
Considered toy haulers and they fix the problem of how to get into the 5er with a WC but most of the floorplans don't work for accessibility. The 5er floorplan we considered put the kids beds on the upper level with a queen bed on the lower level with everything else including bathroom and living area. This is an atypical floorplan for most 5ers. An aluminum frame isn't offered by the company we are working with but I agree would help to reduce the weight if it was.
Is it feasable to go to a 3500 DRW for you? In either situation, it would be better for a longer TT (DRW for more stability) and the extra weight of anything you tow. Just an idea.

Good luck!

TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
Is it feasable to go to a 3500 DRW for you? In either situation, it would be better for a longer TT (DRW for more stability) and the extra weight of anything you tow. Just an idea.

Good luck!
Doc, thanks for the input/responses. A 3500 DRW would definitely handle anything we decided to tow but I wasn't planning to go down this path.

Our 2500 Dodge SRW didn't have any problems towing our 34' TT. Will adding an additional 6' of tow length and an additional 2,000 to 3,000 lbs make that much of a difference? We do plan on using a good hitch such as the Pro Pride. I've also considered addking Hellwig sway bars to the truck.

Just curious what others might be using to tow a long travel trailer

Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #33

Best suggestion find one and pull it to see how it goes. Any self respecting dealer will let you

Life is a highway!!!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #34

I pull a Rockwood 2703ws and its 32 feet long. Last week we camped at a florida state park. Reserve America said the site would accommodate a 36 foot unit. What it did not say was the entrance was overgrown and had a sharp angle to back in. It was a bear to get the trailer in rubbing both sides and the truck with vegetation.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
Doc, thanks for the input/responses. A 3500 DRW would definitely handle anything we decided to tow but I wasn't planning to go down this path.

Our 2500 Dodge SRW didn't have any problems towing our 34' TT. Will adding an additional 6' of tow length and an additional 2,000 to 3,000 lbs make that much of a difference? We do plan on using a good hitch such as the Pro Pride. I've also considered addking Hellwig sway bars to the truck.

Just curious what others might be using to tow a long travel trailer
I think with a set of air bags with on board air and a good WD hitch, your truck will be fine. The #s are confusing but I've owned that truck in 2010 and it will tow and stop that load no problem. Just needs some assistance with the sag.

TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer, travel, travel trailer