Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Smile Towing a car

Good Morning to All:

We are new to this world of Rv and am in need of your experience and knowledge. We have a 20122 Sunseeker 26ft which is equipped for towing. We are currently looking into getting one of our cars set up so that we can tow it with our RV.

My quesiton is this. Is there any thing in particular that I need to know and/or be aware of in getting through this process. We have already discussed this issue with both Camping World and a local RV dealer and got estimates of costs from both. I just want to make sure that we have all our bases covers.

In addition, assuming that we move forward and get our RV and car set up for towing, is there any words of widsom that you can share with in the actual process of driving an RV that is towing a car.

In advance thanks for all your assistance and have a great day.
boyle534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #2

I just spent all week researching all this and was very disappointed on what local RV deals did not know.

First thing you have to do is find out if the cars you have can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground or what modifications have to be done. I had a 2004 Toyota 4 runner 2 wheel drive that would have to get a drive shaft disconnect installed, I decided between that, the base plates and braking system that the car was too old to add all that money to it so I researched what cars would fit our bill.

Found a 2011 Jeep Wrangler as a replacement for the tired 4 Runner.

Ordered the Base plate, Tow bars and a complete set up Kit direct from Blue Ox, great people to deal with and got free shipping since I bought the complete set up from them. that was the easy part.

The brake setup are all over the place, the local hitch dealer I was going to have do the install only dealt with the Brake Buddy brand that sat on the floor and I wanted a stay in the car out of the way type of system.
After plenty of research and frustration I narrowed my choice down to 3 units. (I posted that on this sight with the pro’s and con’s as I saw them)(got no replys) my final choice was the US Gear Unified model. Gave them a call and where great people to talk to and they answered my questions and gave me the confidence that I could install this system myself. Again my local RV dealers had no clue, wanted $1250 for a system that retailed for $1050 and $800 to install it. I bought it from PPL out of TX for $970 shipped to my door.

Once I get everything I plan on doing the complete install myself on the 18th of this month. I may even do a post showing the install step by step.

Hope this helped a little..
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #3

Just curious , why didn't you look into a tow dolly for your Jeep?
hunter1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

The 2010 towing guide at this website might shed a little light on the towing issues. IMO

Dinghy Towing and Dinghy Guide
Cajundjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

Sorry to have bothered you. I don't know why everyone answers questions on this web site like they are in the witness protection plan. All the answers to questions I have asked have been very cryptic, instead of saying this is how it's done or this is the reason why.
Well drive safe. Time for me to go somewhere else.
hunter1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1339 View Post
Sorry to have bothered you. I don't know why everyone answers questions on this web site like they are in the witness protection plan. All the answers to questions I have asked have been very cryptic, instead of saying this is how it's done or this is the reason why.
Well drive safe. Time for me to go somewhere else.
Hi Hunter:

I don't think its a matter of bothering anyone here. Lots of posters here (especially RVers) don't spend much time on the internet. IMO Lots of times when I post here, it takes a few days/weeks before I can get back online. By then I've done lots of research elsewhere on questions I may have posted.

Personally, I've researched dollys and most other feasible tow methods. The tow vehicles I was interested in were not practical for my applications. I've settled for pulling a trailer with a Hog in it for sight seeing and grocery runs. If the weather's bad, I can always wait for a clear day. If its groceries that I need, maybe I should be on a diet anyway.
Cajundjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

I,am lookng for info on useing a smartcar for a tow car behind a solera has anyone had one. Any info will help
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy Bill View Post
I,am lookng for info on useing a smartcar for a tow car behind a solera has anyone had one. Any info will help

Just got a Smartcar to tow behind a Georgetown. Did not get the battery disconnect switch as most Smartcar people I talked to said it wasn't needed. They did advise putting a bungee cord on stearling wheel, but I forgot to check on the method. Have only towed it a few miles and can't tell it is back there, and I check a lot to make sure. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398963441.570572.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	51354Like you, any information, hints or stories would be appricated.
agiewagon is offline   Reply With Quote