Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
MagnoliaTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I was towing my Crusader 325res with a 2003 f250 7.3 and even though I was over the door sticker by about 500lbs it pulled fine actually pulled better then with our old Rockwood 8280. The DW would call me the weight Nazi because I would always worry about adding more stuff in the basement. One thing that kept popping up in the back of my mind was the "What if's". I would think about the legal ramifications if I got in an accident, I know there are bloodsucking lawyers that would figure out I was running overweight and it could make my life miserable. So I sold the F250 and bought a Used Chevy Diesel Dually. Funny thing is the new truck weighs about the same as the F250 but, door sticker has an additional 3000lbs GVWR. I have even lost the moniker of "Weight Nazi". So what it comes down to is if you feel good with it go for it.

That's funny. My wife thinks of me the same way.

One thing I have learned is there are only 3 things that are different between 250/350.
Badges
Spacer block on 250 is 2" where 350 is 4"
Weight rating

Many believe the rating is lower for insurance/registration/title reasons on a 250

Bet you could've kept your 7.3!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2014 Freedom Express 320BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
2005 F250 Lariat SuperCrew 6.0 PS Diesel
2004 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0 PS Diesel
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
MagnoliaTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
There's a reason my TV isn't common knowledge.

I think you'll be fine. I'm over on payload by a few hundred, haven't experienced any control issues, stopping issues or other concerns.

It's your call, I'm sure the hand wringers will be along soon to threaten you with a lawsuit because you're over spec weight, but I just towed all over the southern Appalachians with my current setup and it handled, stopped, turned and pulled fine.

Like your way of thinking. May need to edit my profile. 😀


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2014 Freedom Express 320BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
2005 F250 Lariat SuperCrew 6.0 PS Diesel
2004 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0 PS Diesel
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 511
Not going weight police here but how can a block between the springs have anything to do with payload? I think your friends are mistaken. I may be wrong but my guess is that the 350 either has an overload the 250 doesn't or simply stiffer springs. Raising the rear of a truck simply doesn't add more payload. If that were the case then everyone would just be adding spacers instead of bags or additional springs.

FWIW my 12 Ram 2500 is the same as 3500 with the exception of the rear spring pack. And I would have no problem towing over weight with bags. I prefer RAWR's anyway. Change out your tires to some with 3400lbs+psi and add bags and go for it IMO.
__________________
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 298
F250 vs F350: Larger diameter axles and ring gears (but they use the same axle housing), hydroboost brakes (supposedly starting with the 6.7 though I have not confirmed, prior they both had hydroboost, though different setups), different driveshafts and carrier bearings, different spring packs and overloads, and the 4 inch riser block in the rear.

As far as what you do, it is your choice. The F250 will squat considerably with 2500 lbs plus gear, hitch and people, the F350 will just start to hit the overloads. Airbags can solve that issue. Other than that, it is accepted liability should the worst happen (most likely this will be in civil court), accepted liability from a warranty coverage standpoint (if that is an issue or a concern) and of course accepted wear and tear from potentially overloading the truck (per the manufacturer rating). I have seen plenty of F250s pulling bigger rigs than yours, though many were riding on the bump stops, or had airbags to address the overloaded spring packs. I personally made the choice to go to a 1 ton, but I was buying my truck after I bought the trailer, and the difference was $400.00 (same trucks and options).
__________________
ST Williamson
Current TV:'14 F350 Lariat CrewCab, 4x4 Short Bed SRW Diesel w/ Pullrite 2700 (16K)
Current
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
MagnoliaTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Not going weight police here but how can a block between the springs have anything to do with payload? I think your friends are mistaken. I may be wrong but my guess is that the 350 either has an overload the 250 doesn't or simply stiffer springs. Raising the rear of a truck simply doesn't add more payload. If that were the case then everyone would just be adding spacers instead of bags or additional springs.

FWIW my 12 Ram 2500 is the same as 3500 with the exception of the rear spring pack. And I would have no problem towing over weight with bags. I prefer RAWR's anyway. Change out your tires to some with 3400lbs+psi and add bags and go for it IMO.

Actually got that info from the ford truck forum. The point is there is no difference between the two. Ford just gives a higher weight rating to the f350. Springs are identical. I suppose they get away with it because of the spacer and badging


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2014 Freedom Express 320BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
2005 F250 Lariat SuperCrew 6.0 PS Diesel
2004 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0 PS Diesel
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
I pull a 30 footer with no problems even in Denver, CO.

Stopping the thing is just as easy which is more important.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
PLENTY of folks here tow various size fifth wheels with 3/4 ton diesels...you'll be fine...Most recently I towed a pin weight of just under 2400lbs with an 05 Chevy diesel....absolutely no worries or wear issues
I agree with Cajun. I have a 2013 32RCTS-6, 36' 5'er with a pin weight according to the spec sheet of 1774lbs. I am sure it is closer to 1900-2000lbs. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 Cummins and I have pulled this thing all over the place. From SC to AL twice, down to southern FL and back, and in August from SC to IN to attend the Annual FROG Rally, and have towed it over 200 miles at least 4 times since college football season started. I have had zero issues with the truck pulling, sway, or braking. I have installed Air Bags and that helped with a slight sag, but I am very comfortable towing with my 3/4 ton truck.
__________________
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44) 2014-(59) 2015-(47)
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
ironj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
Actually got that info from the ford truck forum. The point is there is no difference between the two. Ford just gives a higher weight rating to the f350. Springs are identical. I suppose they get away with it because of the spacer and badging


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
this has been topic of discussion in many threads both here and on fte, ps.org etc.....

the 350 has a bigger block and an overload spring for SURE (although if one has the camper pack on their 250 they have the same spring pack)

now it is debated that the EARLY 350's had a diff axle diameter and spline.....I can only attest to the one I removed from a friends 350 and swapped into mine....it was 27 spline....same brake booster, same brakes, same drive, same everything else...seems ford may have gone to using the same spline count after 2012, as many claim....I haven't disassembled one to check...

either way, with bags on mine and a tow rating of 2148 on the door sticker, Id happily slap 2800lbs on it with no second thought.......

do whatcha like....
__________________
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
MagnoliaTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 314
Thanks for all the replies. I feel reassured knowing with the airbags I'll probably be fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2014 Freedom Express 320BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
2005 F250 Lariat SuperCrew 6.0 PS Diesel
2004 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0 PS Diesel
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post

The F250 will squat considerably with 2500 lbs plus gear, hitch and people, the F350 will just start to hit the overloads. Airbags can solve that issue. Other than that, it is accepted liability should the worst happen (most likely this will be in civil court), accepted liability from a warranty coverage standpoint (if that is an issue or a concern) and of course accepted wear and tear from potentially overloading the truck (per the manufacturer rating). I have seen plenty of F250s pulling bigger rigs than yours, though many were riding on the bump stops, or had airbags to address the overloaded spring packs. I personally made the choice to go to a 1 ton, but I was buying my truck after I bought the trailer, and the difference was $400.00 (same trucks and options).
Not always. Yes, there's points of no return, but my Ram has the same rear axle as the dually, same spring pack, isn't sitting on the stops or the helper spring and not only sits level, the rear is still slightly higher than the front.

This photo is nearly 600 pounds over payload, generator and all.

__________________

__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fifth wheel, towing, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.