Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #1

Towing a Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Hi:
I have a 2014 Acura MDX with a 5,000 lb towing package. The vehicle has a 3.5 liter engine with 290 HP.
I'm looking to purchase a Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB camper but am concerned about my MDX's towing ability.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Norm

Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

Look for a smaller travel trailer or a larger tow vehicle. Our last TV was a Chevy Trailblazer with a 2" longer wheelbase and it was not a fun drive when on the highway.

However, the 23LB is a great trailer setup/layout. We got the murphy bed that opened up the trailer floorspace.

Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

We have a Micro-Lite 23FB and I agree with tipakajohn. I think you will want a little more pulling power for that LB
Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #4

This would be a better match.
r-pod Travel Trailer by Forest River
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynman View Post
Hi:

I have a 2014 Acura MDX with a 5,000 lb towing package. The vehicle has a 3.5 liter engine with 290 HP.

I'm looking to purchase a Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB camper but am concerned about my MDX's towing ability.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Norm

I would advise against it. We have the twin TT, the Rockwood 2306. I know there is at least one other on these boards that's towing a 2306 with a 5,000 tow cap vehicle... But I believe that's on 100% flat terrain. My sticker is at 3954lbs. I'd bet sitting dry & empty you'll be over your combine limit and tongue weight.
I started out towing an Rpod 182G with a 6-cylinder Trailblazer. That was white knuckle driving all day long. I then upgraded to a Nissan Armada with a 6500# tow. With the added cap., we decided to upgrade to the 2306. It towed fine enough, but that had a 5.6L and a tranny cooler... And it still ran hot through the hills of PA. I wouldn't have towed my 2306 with anything less than the Armada. Can you tow it? Sure. Should you tow it? Only you can decide that.

Just a word of caution... Seems like the natural progression is... "I can't afford both a new camper AND new Tow vehicle." They decide to buy the camper anyway thinking they'll make do... Then end up buying the new TV also. Not that there's anything wrong with that... I've done it twice... Hahaha.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

Good advice here. Look for a bigger TV.

Had a Trailblazer I6 with a popup, ok but not good in wind or with transports passing due to the short wheelbase.

My 23FBS Super Lite trailer is a little bigger than the Micro Light and is 5100 # loaded and 24' long. Even the Suburban wheezes on hills and headwinds due to the wind loading.

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

Smile Thank you!

Thank you for your awesome responses. I really appreciate your honesty and advise options. My wife and I just retired and although we've done our share of tent camping, the whole travel trailer camping is new to us. Your willingness to share your experience and advice is SO appreciated.

Looked at the R-Pod but it's too small for our needs.

Now we're looking at the Flagstaff 19FD. It has a very similar floor plan to the 23LB but is about 1000 lbs lighter. Our local family owned dealer said we'll be fine in this one, especially with the weight distribution hitch and sway bar. We're still researching this one.

Thanks again!
Norm
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Smile

That is sort of what we did. We found a 23LB on the lot that we really liked but knew it was too much to tow so we looked for a baby brother. We found a slightly used 19RB that we thought would suit us. We chose that over a 19FB because of the storage. With the murphy is really is enough for us, we even survived a whole weekend in the rain together
Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

Be careful.. A lot of dealers will say you will be fine with the trailer and the tow vehicle. I did have a Ford Ranger to pull our Hybrid which has a sticker of 3,714 lbs (Surveyor SP192T). It could and did pull it fine as long as I didn't get in spots where I needed a little extra power. Such as on wet grass or pulling along a muddy road in a camp ground. I was able to climb hills and stay up to hwy speeds. Also, to be honest, there was no problem with sway from passing transports (transports going past me). Gas was horrible!

We decided to upgrade to a new F150 mainly due to the safety of the forward facing rear seats for our son (Ranger had sideways jump type seats). Boy it is a huge difference in pulling and gas!

You have to keep in mind, not only do you have the weight of the trailer, you have the wind and the resistance of the trailer as it hits the wind. If you buy something near the limit of your weight, you still have to think about that weight, plus the big sail slowing you down behind you.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynman View Post
Thank you for your awesome responses. I really appreciate your honesty and advise options. My wife and I just retired and although we've done our share of tent camping, the whole travel trailer camping is new to us. Your willingness to share your experience and advice is SO appreciated.

Looked at the R-Pod but it's too small for our needs.

Now we're looking at the Flagstaff 19FD. It has a very similar floor plan to the 23LB but is about 1000 lbs lighter. Our local family owned dealer said we'll be fine in this one, especially with the weight distribution hitch and sway bar. We're still researching this one.

Thanks again!

Norm

Glad to hear you changed your mind towing the 23lb with the MDX. We made the mistake last year and upgraded our tv to the v8 version which does better but still not great. The issue was primarily hills.

I'm sure you can find something smaller that will meet your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23lb, flagstaff, towing