Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #1

Towing a Geo Pro 19FD with a 2019 Kia Sorento

Hello, we own a 2018 Geo Pro 19FD and we are currently towing it with an older GMC Sierra. We're looking at a 2019 Kia Sorento V6 AWD as a tow vehicle to replace the half ton. We have a weight distributing hitch.

Based on the weight of the Geo Pro and the towing capacity of the Sorento, we should be ok but I'm curious to know if any of you have experience towing a similar TT with the Sorento. How does it feel in windy conditions, going up hills and general handling on the highway.

Your feedback would be very appreciated.

Thanks
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Towing capacity is a marketing term, The gating factor for you will be the load capacity. Take the dry weight of the TT plus the cargo capacity and multiply by 1.13. That will be a good approximation of your hitch weight. Look up the load /cargo capacity on the door jamb of the drivers door. Subtract this number plus 100 lbs for hitch. This is the margin you have for passengers and cargo in the TV. In addition, the shorter wheel base will have more handling issues than you previous TV. Best way to be certain is to weight setup, but that is not possible if you have not purchased the new TV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions Flybob.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Site Team

The 2019 Sorento has a 5000lbs towing capacity IF it has the factory tow package.
The 19FD GVWR looks to be well under 5000lbs. But with a fantasy "dry" tongue weight of 390lbs and it being a single axle, the actual loaded tongue weight could be at the Kia's max of 500lbs or over.
Have you ever weighed your trailer's actual loaded tongue weight?
Personally I would never replace my truck with a small SUV, for towing. Shorter wheelbase, lower towing capacity, softer suspension, unibody construction and lower torque.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 2019 Sorento has a 5000lbs towing capacity IF it has the factory tow package.
The 19FD GVWR looks to be well under 5000lbs. But with a fantasy "dry" tongue weight of 390lbs and it being a single axle, the actual loaded tongue weight could be at the Kia's max of 500lbs or over.
Personally I would never replace my truck with a small SUV, for towing. Shorter wheelbase, lower towing capacity, softer suspension, unibody construction and lower torque.
Thanks bikendan. You make a good point with the tongue weight. In addition to the normal stuff on the tongue, our bike rack is on the tongue with 2 bikes!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #6

Tell us more about why you don't like the GMC Sierra, that should be a perfect TV for the GeoPro..
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Tell us more about why you don't like the GMC Sierra, that should be a perfect TV for the GeoPro..
I like the Sierra, it's more of a mechanical reliability issue because of its age! Suspension components, rust (we live in Canada by the ocean) AC system ...
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejolee View Post
I like the Sierra, it's more of a mechanical reliability issue because of its age! Suspension components, rust (we live in Canada by the ocean) AC system ...
It might be cheaper to repair the GMC than buying a new Sorento.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
It might be cheaper to repair the GMC than buying a new Sorento.
Yes, you're right and that's what I'm considering!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
My Geo 19FD, with two tanks (80% full), two batteries (12v) has a TW of #560. I took the bike rack off for that reason.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #11

Towing

I think you would miss the truck for towing and carrying gear. Have you considered trading your truck in for a newer model? As a side note, GM is the only one of the big 3 mfg. still coating the frame w/ wax VS powder coating for rust prevention. Ten years ago we pulled w/ a Tahoe and switched to a Tundra. Much easier carrying camping gear and bikes. Trucks are just more capable towing platforms IMO.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #12
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
My Geo 19FD, with two tanks (80% full), two batteries (12v) has a TW of #560. I took the bike rack off for that reason.
Similarly my Micro Lite 19fd (very similar to the Geo 19fd) has a tongue weight close to 540lbs with near full FW tank, propane and 2 batteries.

I would not consider towing it with a Kia Sorento.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #13

Kia Sorento

Quote:
Hello, we own a 2018 Geo Pro 19FD and we are currently towing it with an older GMC Sierra. We're looking at a 2019 Kia Sorento V6 AWD as a tow vehicle to replace the half ton. We have a weight distributing hitch.

Based on the weight of the Geo Pro and the towing capacity of the Sorento, we should be ok but I'm curious to know if any of you have experience towing a similar TT with the Sorento. How does it feel in windy conditions, going up hills and general handling on the highway.

Your feedback would be very appreciated.

Thanks
I have a 2012 Kia Sorento and I tow a 18.5 foot Surveyor. Never had a problem, across Canada, Down the 101 Coast to Southern California, Up to Alaska, plus all the small week and weekend trips. Never had a problem. Do not let all these posters who have never owned a Kia tell you any different. Especially all the ones telling you to fix a an old Chev. I have owned new Chevs pick ups since 1974 usually a new one every 3 years everyone was a piece of crap, compared to a Kia.I have never had a problem with the Sorento. The wife uses it for a daily driver, and we live in the mountains of British Columbia. Yes we have full propane tanks, golf clubs, etc. Tows like a dream, in fact I have Nissan pick up, with a bigger motor, standard transmission, etc. The Kia is way better at towing, we just got back from a trip through the mountains camping and golfing. Been towing with it since 2012,
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis88 View Post
I have a 2012 Kia Sorento and I tow a 18.5 foot Surveyor. Never had a problem, across Canada, Down the 101 Coast to Southern California, Up to Alaska, plus all the small week and weekend trips. Never had a problem. Do not let all these posters who have never owned a Kia tell you any different. Especially all the ones telling you to fix a an old Chev. I have owned new Chevs pick ups since 1974 usually a new one every 3 years everyone was a piece of crap, compared to a Kia.I have never had a problem with the Sorento. The wife uses it for a daily driver, and we live in the mountains of British Columbia. Yes we have full propane tanks, golf clubs, etc. Tows like a dream, in fact I have Nissan pick up, with a bigger motor, standard transmission, etc. The Kia is way better at towing, we just got back from a trip through the mountains camping and golfing. Been towing with it since 2012,
Dennis88, thanks for the feedback. Did you have to make any modifications to your Sorento's suspension?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Kind of misleading since we know nothing about the weights of an "18.5 foot Surveyor".
Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #16

Kia Sorento

Quote:
Dennis88, thanks for the feedback. Did you have to make any modifications to your Sorento's suspension?
Nothing, had the dealer install the hitch, bought a WDH set it up, bought some extended slip on mirrors,unless you are going up a hill, you don't know it is there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140920_120952.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	207672  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #17

Thats a two axle trailer, it doesn't have the TW of a single axle Geo.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #18

Kia Sorento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
Thats a two axle trailer, it doesn't have the TW of a single axle Geo.
I am not following your explanation, I don't know the difference I thought weight is weight, How do the axles make the trailer weigh less. This Trailer is heavier than the Geo.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #19

Kia Sorento

Quote:
Kind of misleading since we know nothing about the weights of an "18.5 foot Surveyor".
Dry Weight
3,237 lbs.
Payload Capacity
3,788 lbs.
Hitch Weight
361 lbs.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #20
Scoundrel

Quote:
Dry Weight
3,237 lbs.
Payload Capacity
3,788 lbs.
Hitch Weight
361 lbs.
Single axle trailers have heavier tongue weight than dual axle trailers. The OPs tongue weight will be over 500lbs after trailer is loaded, some water in tanks and propane (which are not included in dry weight).

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, towing