Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 12
Towing a Geo Pro 19FD with a 2019 Kia Sorento

Hello, we own a 2018 Geo Pro 19FD and we are currently towing it with an older GMC Sierra. We're looking at a 2019 Kia Sorento V6 AWD as a tow vehicle to replace the half ton. We have a weight distributing hitch.

Based on the weight of the Geo Pro and the towing capacity of the Sorento, we should be ok but I'm curious to know if any of you have experience towing a similar TT with the Sorento. How does it feel in windy conditions, going up hills and general handling on the highway.

Your feedback would be very appreciated.

Thanks
__________________

jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,424
Towing capacity is a marketing term, The gating factor for you will be the load capacity. Take the dry weight of the TT plus the cargo capacity and multiply by 1.13. That will be a good approximation of your hitch weight. Look up the load /cargo capacity on the door jamb of the drivers door. Subtract this number plus 100 lbs for hitch. This is the margin you have for passengers and cargo in the TV. In addition, the shorter wheel base will have more handling issues than you previous TV. Best way to be certain is to weight setup, but that is not possible if you have not purchased the new TV.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks for the suggestions Flybob.
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,768
The 2019 Sorento has a 5000lbs towing capacity IF it has the factory tow package.
The 19FD GVWR looks to be well under 5000lbs. But with a fantasy "dry" tongue weight of 390lbs and it being a single axle, the actual loaded tongue weight could be at the Kia's max of 500lbs or over.
Have you ever weighed your trailer's actual loaded tongue weight?
Personally I would never replace my truck with a small SUV, for towing. Shorter wheelbase, lower towing capacity, softer suspension, unibody construction and lower torque.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 2019 Sorento has a 5000lbs towing capacity IF it has the factory tow package.
The 19FD GVWR looks to be well under 5000lbs. But with a fantasy "dry" tongue weight of 390lbs and it being a single axle, the actual loaded tongue weight could be at the Kia's max of 500lbs or over.
Have you ever weighed your trailer's actual loaded tongue weight?
Personally I would never replace my truck with a small SUV, for towing. Shorter wheelbase, lower towing capacity, softer suspension, unibody construction and lower torque.
Thanks bikendan. You make a good point with the tongue weight. In addition to the normal stuff on the tongue, our bike rack is on the tongue with 2 bikes!
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 929
Tell us more about why you don't like the GMC Sierra, that should be a perfect TV for the GeoPro..
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Tell us more about why you don't like the GMC Sierra, that should be a perfect TV for the GeoPro..
I like the Sierra, it's more of a mechanical reliability issue because of its age! Suspension components, rust (we live in Canada by the ocean) AC system ...
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jejolee View Post
I like the Sierra, it's more of a mechanical reliability issue because of its age! Suspension components, rust (we live in Canada by the ocean) AC system ...
It might be cheaper to repair the GMC than buying a new Sorento.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
It might be cheaper to repair the GMC than buying a new Sorento.
Yes, you're right and that's what I'm considering!
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 2019 Sorento has a 5000lbs towing capacity IF it has the factory tow package.
The 19FD GVWR looks to be well under 5000lbs. But with a fantasy "dry" tongue weight of 390lbs and it being a single axle, the actual loaded tongue weight could be at the Kia's max of 500lbs or over.
Have you ever weighed your trailer's actual loaded tongue weight?
Personally I would never replace my truck with a small SUV, for towing. Shorter wheelbase, lower towing capacity, softer suspension, unibody construction and lower torque.
My Geo 19FD, with two tanks (80% full), two batteries (12v) has a TW of #560. I took the bike rack off for that reason.
__________________

2019 Geo Pro 19FD
2019 Toyota Tundra
2018 Male Newfoundland
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #11
Tundra 2014
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 383
Towing

I think you would miss the truck for towing and carrying gear. Have you considered trading your truck in for a newer model? As a side note, GM is the only one of the big 3 mfg. still coating the frame w/ wax VS powder coating for rust prevention. Ten years ago we pulled w/ a Tahoe and switched to a Tundra. Much easier carrying camping gear and bikes. Trucks are just more capable towing platforms IMO.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #12
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Palm Bay, Florida
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
My Geo 19FD, with two tanks (80% full), two batteries (12v) has a TW of #560. I took the bike rack off for that reason.
Similarly my Micro Lite 19fd (very similar to the Geo 19fd) has a tongue weight close to 540lbs with near full FW tank, propane and 2 batteries.

I would not consider towing it with a Kia Sorento.
__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Kia Sorento

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejolee View Post
Hello, we own a 2018 Geo Pro 19FD and we are currently towing it with an older GMC Sierra. We're looking at a 2019 Kia Sorento V6 AWD as a tow vehicle to replace the half ton. We have a weight distributing hitch.

Based on the weight of the Geo Pro and the towing capacity of the Sorento, we should be ok but I'm curious to know if any of you have experience towing a similar TT with the Sorento. How does it feel in windy conditions, going up hills and general handling on the highway.

Your feedback would be very appreciated.

Thanks
I have a 2012 Kia Sorento and I tow a 18.5 foot Surveyor. Never had a problem, across Canada, Down the 101 Coast to Southern California, Up to Alaska, plus all the small week and weekend trips. Never had a problem. Do not let all these posters who have never owned a Kia tell you any different. Especially all the ones telling you to fix a an old Chev. I have owned new Chevs pick ups since 1974 usually a new one every 3 years everyone was a piece of crap, compared to a Kia.I have never had a problem with the Sorento. The wife uses it for a daily driver, and we live in the mountains of British Columbia. Yes we have full propane tanks, golf clubs, etc. Tows like a dream, in fact I have Nissan pick up, with a bigger motor, standard transmission, etc. The Kia is way better at towing, we just got back from a trip through the mountains camping and golfing. Been towing with it since 2012,
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:34 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis88 View Post
I have a 2012 Kia Sorento and I tow a 18.5 foot Surveyor. Never had a problem, across Canada, Down the 101 Coast to Southern California, Up to Alaska, plus all the small week and weekend trips. Never had a problem. Do not let all these posters who have never owned a Kia tell you any different. Especially all the ones telling you to fix a an old Chev. I have owned new Chevs pick ups since 1974 usually a new one every 3 years everyone was a piece of crap, compared to a Kia.I have never had a problem with the Sorento. The wife uses it for a daily driver, and we live in the mountains of British Columbia. Yes we have full propane tanks, golf clubs, etc. Tows like a dream, in fact I have Nissan pick up, with a bigger motor, standard transmission, etc. The Kia is way better at towing, we just got back from a trip through the mountains camping and golfing. Been towing with it since 2012,
Dennis88, thanks for the feedback. Did you have to make any modifications to your Sorento's suspension?
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis88 View Post
I have a 2012 Kia Sorento and I tow a 18.5 foot Surveyor. Never had a problem, across Canada, Down the 101 Coast to Southern California, Up to Alaska, plus all the small week and weekend trips. Never had a problem. Do not let all these posters who have never owned a Kia tell you any different. Especially all the ones telling you to fix a an old Chev. I have owned new Chevs pick ups since 1974 usually a new one every 3 years everyone was a piece of crap, compared to a Kia.I have never had a problem with the Sorento. The wife uses it for a daily driver, and we live in the mountains of British Columbia. Yes we have full propane tanks, golf clubs, etc. Tows like a dream, in fact I have Nissan pick up, with a bigger motor, standard transmission, etc. The Kia is way better at towing, we just got back from a trip through the mountains camping and golfing. Been towing with it since 2012,
Kind of misleading since we know nothing about the weights of an "18.5 foot Surveyor".
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Kia Sorento

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejolee View Post
Dennis88, thanks for the feedback. Did you have to make any modifications to your Sorento's suspension?
Nothing, had the dealer install the hitch, bought a WDH set it up, bought some extended slip on mirrors,unless you are going up a hill, you don't know it is there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140920_120952.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	207672  
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Posts: 49
Thats a two axle trailer, it doesn't have the TW of a single axle Geo.
__________________

2019 Geo Pro 19FD
2019 Toyota Tundra
2018 Male Newfoundland
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Kia Sorento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
Thats a two axle trailer, it doesn't have the TW of a single axle Geo.
I am not following your explanation, I don't know the difference I thought weight is weight, How do the axles make the trailer weigh less. This Trailer is heavier than the Geo.
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21
Kia Sorento

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Kind of misleading since we know nothing about the weights of an "18.5 foot Surveyor".
Dry Weight
3,237 lbs.
Payload Capacity
3,788 lbs.
Hitch Weight
361 lbs.
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #20
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Palm Bay, Florida
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis88 View Post
Dry Weight
3,237 lbs.
Payload Capacity
3,788 lbs.
Hitch Weight
361 lbs.
Single axle trailers have heavier tongue weight than dual axle trailers. The OPs tongue weight will be over 500lbs after trailer is loaded, some water in tanks and propane (which are not included in dry weight).
__________________

__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
geo pro, towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


×