Old 03-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Towing a Hard side pop-up With a mini-van

I have a 2013 Chrysler Town & Country. I'm pulling a Flagstaff Hard Side Pop-Up. Is there a Equalizer hitch that will work?

Old 03-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Canadian Member

What model is your popup?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
What model is your popup?
Flagstaff Hard Side 2014 T12RBST. Towing with a 2013 Chrysler Town & Country With Stow & Go Seats.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Canadian Member

First, congrats on the new A frame hard side popup!

I used to pull a 1999 Coleman Sante Fe (similar weight) with an older Plymouth Voyager. We just added AirLift 1000 air bags to the rear coil suspension of the van. We didn't need a weight distribution hitch and never had a sway issue. I suspect that's all you'll need to do, too. If the hard side was over 3500lbs. I would recommend a WDH.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

X2 in adding AirLift air bags

find the right model here
2013 Chrysler Town And Country Air Bag Suspension Kits | Air Lift Company

Buy on amazon for a great price
Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #6

We towed a 3000 lbs (loaded) Coleman popup with a '97 Town & Country, then a '00 Grand Voyager when the T&C go wrecked. 7 seasons of great camping. We used a Reese 400 Single Bar WDH, plus an add-on friction sway controller. My TW was about 375 lbs.

I will take the other side, and encourage you to stick with your plan for a WDH. My Chrysler minivan's required using them for any trailer over 2000, in order to get the 3500lb rating. At some point, Chrysler owner's manuals stopped requiring them, and I don't know why. They always had available air-leveling suspension, but even with that, WDH used to be required. Either way, the basic vehicle dynamic is the same.

The issue, of course is the for the TW effect on the front wheels. This is a lightduty, softly sprung vehicle. 300-400 lbs of TW is going to remove significant weight from the front wheels. You need to push that lost weight back onto the front wheels, and airbags or other suspension modifications can not do that. All they will do help you keep the rig level. You may even overload the rear axle without using the WDH, depending on how you load the popup.

I think there is a 600 lbs rated Equal-I-zer brand WDH with the 4pt sway control. Or, I think you can get a 400 lbs unit, but the amount of sway control is lighter (2pt?). I would call the company and ask for their recommendations.

Our 375lbs of TW on a 400 lbs WDH system had the rig porpoising a bit more than we liked. Not horrible, but I think that's what happens when you get close to the upper limit. For that reason, If you have at least 350 lbs TW, I'd go for something 600 lbs rated.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
....I will take the other side, and encourage you to stick with your plan for a WDH. My Chrysler minivan's required using them for any trailer over 2000, in order to get the 3500lb rating. At some point, Chrysler owner's manuals stopped requiring them, and I don't know why. They always had available air-leveling suspension, but even with that, WDH used to be required. Either way, the basic vehicle dynamic is the same.

....Our 375lbs of TW on a 400 lbs WDH system had the rig porpoising a bit more than we liked. Not horrible, but I think that's what happens when you get close to the upper limit. For that reason, If you have at least 350 lbs TW, I'd go for something 600 lbs rated.
XXXXX2!

We bought a Rockwood A122 - pretty much the same as your Flagstaff, but without the forward storage compartment. Which, by the way, will increase your tongue weight, depending on how you load it.

We tow with a 2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with a 3500 lb tow rating. Great road vehicle.

When we took delivery of the A-frame, I test drove around the dealer's lot. Even at 30 MPH, there was a degree of porpoising I did not like. Came in to discuss how to fix, as I knew wife wasn't going to do much camping with that ride. Dealer suggested an Equal-i-zer 600/6000, which he provided and installed for just over $300 (quite a bargain).

After installation, I test drove again, and the ride was like the camper wasn't even there. Color me a true believer - I will never tow with a soft suspension TV without WDH again. Have tested the rig at 75MPH in crosswinds on the interstate, and felt totally in control. The wife is comfortable enough with the ride and handling to actually tow the camper herself - much better than our screaming matches when the old PUP used to start swaying. Control is great even downhill on the 2 lane roads in the Colorado Rockies. Connect/disconnect is about 5 minutes at each end. The only issue is lifting that heavy hitch (50 lbs?) in/out of the receiver - we don't leave it installed when not towing. And of course, with a WDH, you return to stock suspension and handling once you disconnect.

Previously, we had a Coleman Westlake PUP towed with a Ford Explorer and no WDH. Towed like a pig, and gave us white knuckle swaying above 62MPH.

Next trip is to Lincoln, Nebraska (540 miles each way) to spend a long weekend with our son.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 - don't tow without it.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Canadian Member

The Equal-i-zer is an excellent WDH with built-in sway control. I still say it might be overkill for this application. Maybe the E2 would be a reasonable choice since it's less expensive that the 4 point sway control model?

Tags
towing