Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #1

Towing a Jeep

Im looking at buying a toad to tow on all 4 wheels. I was wondering if its possible to tow a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with Automatic Transmision? Or does it have to be a manual 5 speed transmission. Thanks for the info

Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

We have towed both a 2010 and now a 2013 automatic Wrangler and I don't believe that there is any difference for a 2000 wrangler. The only thing is that the 2000 will have a steering wheel lock you will have to deal with. What does your owner's manual say?

Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

I haven't bought it yet. I don't have the manual for it. I would rather buy an automatic transmission but want to make sure it can be towed
Old 06-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #4

2 wheel drive vehicle you can just lift the tires that are connected to the drive train. Not sure about a 4 wheel drive vehicle. May have to put entire vehicle on a trailor or disconnect front and rear drive train.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #5

A 2000 Wrangler is the perfect toad, and you can really enjoy the countryside with it, as well. Go for it!

Transfer case in neutral, tranny in park, and key switched to first position, which leaves everything off, but disables the steering lock.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Retired US Army CW4

I've towed a 2000, 2004 and now a 2011 (all Wranglers) thousands of miles with no problems. Just leave it in park, put the transfer case in neutral, unlock the steering column and you're ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-247050941.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	34394  
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #7

towing jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
I've towed a 2000, 2004 and now a 2011 (all Wranglers) thousands of miles with no problems. Just leave it in park, put the transfer case in neutral, unlock the steering column and you're ready to go.
i have a 2012 jeep Rubicon and it tows sweet. Jeep says to do the battery disconnect and the steering wheel will not lock. so I do this. While on my brothers rack I pulled keys out and turned wheels left and right and steering wheel never locked.kinda got me confused about steering wheel lock. Jeep says to do this so I will continue. Pete
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

I tow a 2012 Sahara Wrangler with my 3170DS. 2011 and newer wranglers they removed the steering wheel lock. I dont put the key in the ignition on our 2012.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
i have a 2012 jeep Rubicon and it tows sweet. Jeep says to do the battery disconnect and the steering wheel will not lock. so I do this. While on my brothers rack I pulled keys out and turned wheels left and right and steering wheel never locked.kinda got me confused about steering wheel lock. Jeep says to do this so I will continue. Pete
The steering wheel lock was removed on the 2010 and newer models. Not sure why you would need to disconnect the battery. There is no power flowing to anything when it's free-wheeling.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Wanderluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
The steering wheel lock was removed on the 2010 and newer models. Not sure why you would need to disconnect the battery. There is no power flowing to anything when it's free-wheeling.
Pulling the fuse pulls the power from the brake light switch so the toad battery won't overpower the lamps from the coach/towing vehicle when using supplemental brake systems. It keeps the turn signals working properly on the toad. Also, it prevents the dreaded dead battery that many folks experience when towing as the brake lamps use more power than most suspect. The alternative is a charge line from the tow vehicle to to towed vehicle.

Many vehicle mounted supplemental brake systems incorporate a brake lamp circuit intercept that removes the requirement for pulling the fuse. I believe most floor mount systems don't account for the brake light switch so pulling the fuse is the solution.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote