Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

So we just got a Jeep GC (TrailHawk). I am trying to get all the advise I can before getting ready to equip it so we can tow it behind our RV.

1. Recommendations for towing equipment.
2. Where do I go to get it all installed; an off road Jeep place or an RV place (i.e. Camping World)
3. What should I expect to pay from everything.
4. I assume it is towing gear, brake control system and wiring. Am I missing anything.
5. Any other thoughts, comments, recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Explorer

I have very limited info but my retired, full-time parents have been towing one for 2 years. They had theirs set up at the dealer. The little bit of info I do know is that the dealer would not plug into the cars computer so they put in separate wires and lights for tail lights. I also know they are happy with the Jeep and the way it tows. If you want their whole set up I could get it for you. They previously had a Ford Explore for 10yrs but could not get Ford to set a new 2012 up for them and they got their money back.
I know, limited info but I know it can work and work well.
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Site Team

sorry, i see that you want to tow BEHIND an RV, not tow an RV.
you said RV, not Motorhome, so i missed that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

What are you going to tow? How big?
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

It is going to get towed, behind our RV. It is not towing anything.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

We tow a Jeep Liberty with our Sunseeker. We had our RV dealer do the installation on the Liberty. It required a Face Plate(that's what the towbar connects to), a Blue-OX towbar, and we use a Brake Buddy to control the Jeeps brakes. It is easy to hook up and haven't had any problems. They also installed separate lamps in our tail light lenses for the brake/turn signals.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Wanderluster

I recommend an adjustable arm tow bar to make hitching much easier. We use a Blue Ox Adventa II.

The easier it is to hitch up your toad, the less you will mind unhitching to explore new areas as you travel, not just when you get to your destination. With that in mind, look for a brake system that stays in your Jeep such as US Gears Unified Tow Brake (my choice), Roadmaster's Invisibrake, and others. NSA has a product called Readybrake you might like.

I DIY, but if I was paying someone to do it, I guess I'd try an RV dealer. I suspect they have much more experience than your Jeep dealer when it comes to supplemental brakes and wiring.

I'd hazard a guess of around $2K for tow bar, brakes, and installation.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffPavement View Post
I recommend an adjustable arm tow bar to make hitching much easier. We use a Blue Ox Adventa II.

The easier it is to hitch up your toad, the less you will mind unhitching to explore new areas as you travel, not just when you get to your destination. With that in mind, look for a brake system that stays in your Jeep such as US Gears Unified Tow Brake (my choice), Roadmaster's Invisibrake, and others. NSA has a product called Readybrake you might like.

I DIY, but if I was paying someone to do it, I guess I'd try an RV dealer. I suspect they have much more experience than your Jeep dealer when it comes to supplemental brakes and wiring.

I'd hazard a guess of around $2K for tow bar, brakes, and installation.
Awesome info. Thanks so much. I will look into that. Maybe Camping World can assist on the installation. They are really the only one around.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #9

So I went to Camping World today to get an estimate. I about fainted. The grand total was $3,905.

Falcon All Terrain tow bar - $799
Tow Bar accessory kit - $289
Hidden jeep mount plate - $429
Roadmaster Invisibrake - $900
Wire looms - $40
Brake light switch - $45
And the rest was labor and tax about $950

I think I will keep shopping around.