Old 07-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with an aftermarket bumper.

Hi. Iíd like some input from the community. I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a Quadratec aftermarket bumper. The bumper had D ring brackets. What kind of tow bar and accessories do I need to tow it four wheels down. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	209213Attachment 1 Iíll be towing it behind a 2015 Georgetown 351DS. thank you

Old 07-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Junior Old Fart

This is not a tow point. The bracket is welded to the bumper.
You will need to have the tow points bolted directly to the frame.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

The bumper is bolted to the frame. I was hoping that the bumper could be used to tow the jeep
Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherdave View Post
The bumper is bolted to the frame. I was hoping that the bumper could be used to tow the jeep
It is my understanding that the tow bars must be attached to brackets that are attached/bolted directly to the frame. I have a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper with their tow bar brackets and the bolts go through the brackets, through the bumper and into the frame horn. So they bolt directly to the frame. The D-rings are attached to the recovery points like you have and the break away cables are attached to those. See my video on it below.

There are tow bar base plates as well that mount under the bumper. You can get those for the manufacturers of the tow bars. Blue Ox, who I use, has a base plate. They work with the stock bumper so you will need to check to be sure they work with your bumper as well.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
It is my understanding that the tow bars must be attached to brackets that are attached/bolted directly to the frame. I have a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper with their tow bar brackets and the bolts go through the brackets, through the bumper and into the frame horn. So they bolt directly to the frame. The D-rings are attached to the recovery points like you have and the break away cables are attached to those. See my video on it below.

There are tow bar base plates as well that mount under the bumper. You can get those for the manufacturers of the tow bars. Blue Ox, who I use, has a base plate. They work with the stock bumper so you will need to check to be sure they work with your bumper as well.

Thank you that is very helpful.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
Site Team

In many cases like this, the frame-mounted steel bumper serves as the bracket. That winch, mounted to the bumper, mounted to the frame can dead lift that Wrangler off the ground.
Of course, safety dictates that your tow brackets/D-rings be confirmed appropriate for towing.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Good info here with videos. https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...RoCzvUQAvD_BwE

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post

Thank you
Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most times the D-ring mounts, especially on heavy bumpers, are stronger than the baseplates made by Blue Ox or others. They have to be. The big question comes into play is where are they located. Too wide or too narrow and it could affect towing and cause turning issues. I've seen hundreds of Jeeps being pulled all over the country by the D-ring mounts. I now pull by a Blue-Ox baseplate only because I have the steel Rubicon bumper and like it, but my earlier Jeep was pulled by bumper mounts.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing