Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #11

Towing a silverback 29re

Thanks everyone for your input. This is our first 5th wheel and it is good to get feed back from other owners. I've pulled smaller travel trailers with a Chevy avalanche. Before we buy a tow vehicle for our 29re I want to do a lot of research, so we don't regret our purchase. A follow up question; what is every ones feelings on diesels compared to gas? I know diesels last forever but I also know that repairs cost more along with general maintenance.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian bryce View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. This is our first 5th wheel and it is good to get feed back from other owners. I've pulled smaller travel trailers with a Chevy avalanche. Before we buy a tow vehicle for our 29re I want to do a lot of research, so we don't regret our purchase. A follow up question; what is every ones feelings on diesels compared to gas? I know diesels last forever but I also know that repairs cost more along with general maintenance.

Once you tow with diesel power, you will not go back to gas

Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #13

We've pulled out Silverback 29RE with both a 2011 F-250 6.2L gasser and our current 2013 F-350 6.7L dually. We traded the because of the weight restrictions of the F-250. We were right on the edge of what we could tow with only a couple hundred pounds safety margin. That said, the diesel makes the driving a lot more pleasant. The gasser always seemed it was working near it's limit while the diesel hardly notices the trailer at all.

The initial cost is something like $8,000 more then a gasser, the maintenance cost is also higher (it takes 13 quarts of oil, after all) and the new EPA required stuff makes then a lot more complicated.
That said, I'm not going back to gas anytime soon!!
N3HCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian bryce View Post
A follow up question; what is every ones feelings on diesels compared to gas? I know diesels last forever but I also know that repairs cost more along with general maintenance.
Threads in the hundreds of posts have been written on this subject.

One of the biggest benefits to diesel is that I can use truck stops and truck pumps. No height restrictions or having to wiggle around the front-side of gas stations. Easy in, easy out.

Lots of people do it with gas- I just have found for me, I prefer diesel.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Gas vs Diesel...

I'll put it this way...do I want to walk the 10K marathon weighing 300lbs or 200lbs?!
I can complete it easier, enjoy the experience more and have absolutely no concerns on any elevation changes at 200lbs!

Yes, diesel does cost more upfront and a little more for maintenance but is sooooo nice when you hook up and tow ,)

Tags
towing