Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #21
Drive at a speed you feel comfortable. When I go through the Rockies if there is a large vehicle behind me at the summit I let them go past and travel at a speed I want on the way down. Do not let any one push you faster then you want to go. If you are holding up traffic and on a single lane highway pull over and let the faster traffic pass. Drive safe and have a good time.

Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
I work for Lake Dillon Fire Rescue on the West (Summit County) side of the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70. We respond to RV accidents and fires usually due to people going to fast for conditions and using their brakes to the point of failure. Downshifting your transmission and using an engine brake (if available) is the safest way to go. Staying in the far right lane is also the safest place to be. Driving in the center lane slowly will only get you cut off and will irritate the drivers that are not towing or know better. There are some ruts in the right lane, but paving will start in another month that will fill those in. Have a great trip.

happy5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
Transmission temp really climbs fast on steep inclines. Especially if the TC is unlocked. If you have a gauge, stay below 200 if possible.

Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is online now   Reply With Quote