Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
RAC

Good question. Since the trailer needs to be loaded with more weight forward of the axle (See specs in your manual) I don't think it will make too big of a diff because the bags will firm up the rear of the TV and take up any slack the TT would make on the tongue. They do tow nicely though, don't they? You'll love em up to 55 and then you'll be like......man I can't wait to get a F-350 Dually 7.3 so I can relax a bit! LOL! I am glad you got home OK and I look forward to hearing about your trips!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
You'll love em up to 55 and then you'll be like......man I can't wait to get a F-350 Dually 7.3 so I can relax a bit!

Oh yea!!!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #23

Actually I was at 65 MPH on a 2 lane country road before i realized it. It was towing fine at that point. Im sure with it loaded 65 MPH will be harder to maintain and control. I did notice a little up and down movement. I would assume this is normal for a tag type trailer with this much tongue weight.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #24
RAC

Up down? Or surge? If the torsion bars are set right there is no Up/Down. Hit some level road and eyeball how the trailer lines up in perception to the TV. Id be willing to bet the brackets are set too high. Yeah I get to 65, but MPG goes to doo doo lol!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #25

To clarify the slight up and down motion was not on level ground. It was when I hit dips in the road. I spoke with Airlift on the best way to use there air bag kit with the Equalizer. They said adjust the hitch up to about 1/2" to 1" of level and then air up the bags until the TV and TH were level. Then if there was not enough tension in the bars then readjust them. Seems like that process requires double the work. Why not just put air in them until the TV and TH just start to raise and let it go at that.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #26
RAC

I raised my bars on the trailer only...this weekend as a test. I got over 2 MPG better and it towed like a champ.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #27

Ok Im confused, do you also have airbags and did not adjust them. Or this off my topic. Were you TV and TT level before you raised the bars? Out of curiosity how many washers do you have on your tension setting rivot?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
RAC

No airbags. Yes it was level...and I traised the 2 trailer tongue brackets......I will actually have to look and see for you...but I think 5.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #29

When you raised the bars did it also raise the center of the hitchs or just add tension?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #30
RAC

well, I imagine it would raise the rear, since the idea of weight distribution is to remove weight from the TT and apply it to the FRONT of the TV. It added more tension as well, but slightly modified the angle of attack of the TT through the wind.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #31

So it raised the front of the TT allowing the wind to give more lift like a wing so to speak however the added tension keeps it down. Makes sense. I will be taking my TH on its first trip this week end. Unfortunatly it will not have my toys in it to get a feel of how it will will actually perform under a full load. Its a camping only trip for the Family. The following weekend will be the test. It will have my Sand rail and in it. I will consider that one its maiden voyage.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:56 AM   #32

I have a 2005 F-150, and just finished pulled our 831QBSS fully loaded, and the truck pulled it fine. But as mentioned earlier, you do not want to pull with out sway control. When those 18 wheelers start passing you, or when the wind picks up and blows from the side, you will be glad you had that sway control.
kskwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #33

Well Guys I took the Toy hauler on its first fully loaded run this weekend. It had a 1700# Sandrail in the back of it along with 3 bags of firewood, a 50# tool box and 30 gal of water in the tank. I installed the air bags and set them at 20 PSI along with the Equalizer hitch. I feel that the air bags helped in that i did not have to have as much tension on the Equalizer spring bars. It will also help prolong spring life. All in all it pulled fine. It was a windy day and I had very little movement in the rig. So far Im pleased with the arrangement. BTW on the return trip I added 2 "V" bar tires (for the sandrail) in the back of the F150 bed and aproximatly 100# of Wellsville mud on the Sand rail.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #34

What type of gas mileage did you guys (kskwash & Odyknuck) get with your set ups? We're getting ready to purchase our first TT, and we're going to go with an ultralight in the range of 27'-31' and 6500lbs loaded.
bobbyg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #35

I have not checked the mileage however I would say it was less than 10. Like the old saying goes "You gotta pay to play"
Old 11-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #36

I got between 7 and 7 1/2
kskwash is offline   Reply With Quote