Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #81

Having been a Fire Fighter for over 23 years and seeing many incidents similar to this one, and after carefully analyzing the picture and the OP’s statement I am confident in saying that what occurred was this:

There was an incident involving a travel trailer and tow vehicle, resulting in significant damage to the trailer..... the end.
Gooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #82

"... there was a bounce to the trailer and had to slow way down. It was rocking up and down like a 90s music video. ..."

This should have been a BIG clue something was very wrong. The owner/driver shouldn't have towed it any more until this was investigated and addressed. Sway and bounce are two different things. The excessive bounce could have been related to tire pressure, wrong size spring bars and incorrect spring bar tension. These could also contribute to sway too tho. But there is insufficient info. to make guesses. Could have been in part due to operator error.

We had a previous TT that bounced like crazy at the rear (towed by F250). Cause was related to too weak a frame for it's length and under-sized spring bars. Now have same length & weight TT but has a very strong frame and correctly rated (and adjusted) spring bars. No more crazy bouncing but we did add shocks too. All TTs should have shocks IMO.

I've towed through & around Seattle many times. Those roads are easy compared to many others out there. I can't imagine losing control of a TT there. I would never ever rely on a dealer installing and setting up a WDH.

I hate going through Seattle. Last time I towed there, the traffic was constant stop & go from well north of Seattle to south past Olympia. I doubt I got above 10 mph! Hard on the brakes and TV drivetrain...

Unfortunately, neither a dealer or TT manufacturer educate buyers on the important things about towing (and many other things too). Hard to blame newbies for not knowing enough about WDHs before heading out on the road. Sadly, it's often not until people go onto an RV forum that they learn what they need to know.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #83

Me too...

I did the same thing last year May 18, 2018. I have an excursion that was set up for towing, but this toy hauler was a little bit longer and heavier. My excursion would sway when trucks passed and I had a tight sweet control break on it. I’ve always only told between 55 and 65 miles an hour, but this trip I wouldn’t go over 55, since it would sway if anything passed me.

I stopped several times on my annual trip from Las Vegas to duck Creek to see why the vehicle was behaving so erratically. I checked the load, sway control, TT axles, lug nuts and whatever I could to see if it was a weight issue on tongue or tail.

Nothing seems to matter on several stops. Could’ve been an airbag failure or anything for vehicles are both very well-maintained. Heading north mountain to Utah on I 15 north, downhill grade at Bunker Ville Nevada, coming into Mesquite. The vehicle started to speed up because of the steep downhill grade, a tractor-trailer passed me and it began to sway wildly, when the second truck passed me it was already out of control.

40 years of towing everything from earth moving equipment to fold down. Sometimes stuff happens.

Broken neck, back and shoulders... thankful It was only me. Better now and back at it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	064EF4B9-358E-45DF-8454-AA357E7D0876.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	205105   Click image for larger version

Name:	B0AEDD12-B88B-4097-88C8-182251663006.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	205106  
3 rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #84

Oops photo is upside down...
3 rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
No one here owns this rig. The story and pic were gathered from Facebook.
I think many reponders don't read all the posts or the original post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeoca View Post
How long can you stay at walmart?
Usually 1 night, some in our area do not allow it at al so don't count on it as a given
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #87

I purchased a trailer from CW and told the salesperson I had a 2 inch ball on my truck. He told me that was the correct ball for the trailer.
I was quite surprised to find I needed a 2-5/16 inch ball when I proceeded to hitch up. I went back inside and bought one and talked a service guy into switching the ball for me. I gave the salesperson hell and told him if I'd listened to him I probably would have lost the trailer on the way home. He just shrugged.
I relearned 3 lessons that day. Salespeople lie, don't buy from CW and always check for yourself.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #88

If you dumped your trailer on a straight stretch of road in broad daylight something was up. what was it?
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #89

So sorry this happened. Thank the Lord everyone is OK, the rig can be replaced.
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
I purchased a trailer from CW and told the salesperson I had a 2 inch ball on my truck. He told me that was the correct ball for the trailer.
I was quite surprised to find I needed a 2-5/16 inch ball when I proceeded to hitch up. I went back inside and bought one and talked a service guy into switching the ball for me. I gave the salesperson hell and told him if I'd listened to him I probably would have lost the trailer on the way home. He just shrugged.
I relearned 3 lessons that day. Salespeople lie, don't buy from CW and always check for yourself.
Amen on the don't buy from CW
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #91

"I always go 80."
"My truck can handle it."
"I don't need sway control."
"10,000 pounds is no big deal."
NOT
Old 05-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
"I always go 80."
"My truck can handle it."
"I don't need sway control."
"10,000 pounds is no big deal."
NOT
How does one know that they need sway control? I've pulled my trailer numerous times on the highway and have never had bounce, and the only "sway" that I get is when I'm passing a semi. It's not really sway, it just feels like the semi is pulling me towards it. Other than that, it tows straight and even. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, I'm asking an honest question since I would like to know. Also, I've been pulling my boat which is the same length, but heavier and they don't offer sway control for it. Why is it needed for one, and not the other? Again, not trying to argue, just want some info. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Luck View Post
How does one know that they need sway control? I've pulled my trailer numerous times on the highway and have never had bounce, and the only "sway" that I get is when I'm passing a semi. It's not really sway, it just feels like the semi is pulling me towards it. Other than that, it tows straight and even. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, I'm asking an honest question since I would like to know. Also, I've been pulling my boat which is the same length, but heavier and they don't offer sway control for it. Why is it needed for one, and not the other? Again, not trying to argue, just want some info. Thanks.
When the trailer starts waggin' the truck. You'll know when.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlA View Post
Amen on the don't buy from CW
I bought from them and had a Fantastic experience, But I went in with a properly setup rig and knowing my limits. My Rav4 hardly knows that 40' 5ver is back there.. and best of all I undo a few ratchet straps and the hitch comes right off the roof.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #95
Mopar Guy

Quote:
are you using a WDH? if so which one?

The heavier the trailer, the less likely it will sway from wind or other forces. Boats tend to have a lower center of gravity and less wind resistance.
Also most sway and WDH do not work with surge brakes which your boat most likely has
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #96

PureLuck. There was a reference made to sway in the accident.
Sway control can be added to any trailer.
I use it on my TT but the boat is aluminum and tracks straight without.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #97

Quote:
You'll not know you need it until you need it, Possibly in a panic situation. But really a properly setup rig goes a long way in reducing sway.. Manage the weight in the RV so the tongue is not too light, etc..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
are you using a WDH? if so which one?

The heavier the trailer, the less likely it will sway from wind or other forces. Boats tend to have a lower center of gravity and less wind resistance.
Also most sway and WDH do not work with surge brakes which your boat most likely has
I don't have one, I'm just wondering if/why I need one.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
PureLuck. There was a reference made to sway in the accident.
Sway control can be added to any trailer.
I use it on my TT but the boat is aluminum and tracks straight without.
I understand that it can be added, the two main things that I hear on this site are that you NEED a sway/weight distribution hitch, and the tires that come with the campers are going to explode. Before I run off an spend $600+ on a hitch and $600+ on tires for my camper, is it really needed?
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #100
Mopar Guy

Quote:
I don't have one, I'm just wondering if/why I need one.

The advantage of a WDH is to keep the truck level, and enough pressure evenly distributed to your steer wheels, brakes etc.
Most vehicles have a Tow rating, with and without WDH, either in owners manual or right on the hitch itself.

I find a WDH helps keep the trailer from bouncing and causing the truck to porpoise (rock forward and back) over bumps. The sway control helps the trailer stay nice and tight in a straight line behind the truck and keeping them moving as one. What pushes the trailer (cross wind, passing truck) will push truck and trailer together as one unit. Keeping everything in control.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, towing