Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
Dave Lyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oshawa, ON
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Your Chevrolet dealer's service dept can help you get the numbers you need. I would not fool around with the salesman. The service dept will be even able to tell you the axle ratios which as a major factor in towing capabilities.
Agree, the service department should be able to tell you everything about your truck based on the VIN.
__________________

__________________
Dave, Southern,ON



2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #102
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlstedtd View Post
Bill, I also get confused by all this. We have the exact same trailer. Pulling in with a 2013 2500HD 6.6 Duramax. Tows very nice even when windy. I'm thinking of weighing it this spring just to see.
If you take the scale weight that MGAS has with a pin weight of 3200 lbs and thinks he would put another 500 to 1000 lbs which would probably added another 200 lbs on the pin. That would give you about 3400 lbs of pin weight now added that to your axle weight of that should be around 3800 that would give you around a 7200 lbs on your rear axle. It would also need about 3600 lbs weight rating on each of your rear tires.

So you axle should be rated to a max loading of about 7200 lbs
You rear tires should be also 7200 or a per tire rating of 3600 a piece.

You might want to scale it to make sure the stubby pencil weight is in the ball park. You max tow probably 15000 plus so you probably be good there as long as you don't put 3000 lbs in it but it payload that going to bite you.
__________________

__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #103
Senior Member
 
SlowrideHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 174
Forget about all those different calculations and stop worrying. Your truck will pull anything under 40 feet in a fifth wheel camper. I've been trucking, towing and camping since the 70's. You're fine and good to go with your outfit.
Quit worrying about everyone calculating to the infinite ounce. Trucks today are safer, better built, have more power and better braking than ever.
__________________

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #104
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Forget about all those different calculations and stop worrying. Your truck will pull anything under 40 feet in a fifth wheel camper. I've been trucking, towing and camping since the 70's. You're fine and good to go with your outfit.
Quit worrying about everyone calculating to the infinite ounce. Trucks today are safer, better built, have more power and better braking than ever.

X2


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
That's good to know - Now that 40 foot DRV with 22,500 Gross Weight with 6000 lbs pin is within my grasp and can even downgrade to 2500HD with 2300 payload and still be good to go. Maybe I will look at the New Horizon at gross of 24,500.

That is a really broad statement saying the 2500 can handle 4000 plus pin weights.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
SlowrideHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
That's good to know - Now that 40 foot DRV with 22,500 Gross Weight with 6000 lbs pin is within my grasp and can even downgrade to 2500HD with 2300 payload and still be good to go. Maybe I will look at the New Horizon at gross of 24,500.

That is a really broad statement saying the 2500 can handle 4000 plus pin weights.
I was making a reply to those with common sense (and courtesy). There are always those who can dream up an exception and throw it out there for their own amusement. Glad you think you are funny.
__________________

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #107
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I was making a reply to those with common sense (and courtesy). There are always those who can dream up an exception and throw it out there for their own amusement. Glad you think you are funny.
Well said.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I was making a reply to those with common sense (and courtesy). There are always those who can dream up an exception and throw it out there for their own amusement. Glad you think you are funny.
Lets see what advice you gave this guy. He talking about 36 foot 5er that Mgas on this thread post scale weights of 3200 lbs pin weight NOT READY TO CAMP and said he need to add another 500 to 1000 lbs to make ready to camp. That would added about 300 lbs to pin so now ready to camp range would be about 3500 lbs pin weight. In the truck you have 250 lbs hitch and 350 pounds of passenger/misc stuff you have about 4100 lbs in payload between the 5er and the truck. He has stated his truck payload is under 2300 and 6,000 lbs axles. That put in the neighborhood of 1800 lbs over GVWR and even more troubling he will about 800 lbs to 1000lbs over his RAWR and close to the same about over he rear tire ratings. Then you said go head and upgrade to 40 footer could easily be over double his payload and north of 1000 lbs over his RAWR. Glad you think you are giving good advice!
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
SlowrideHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Lets see what advice you gave this guy. He talking about 36 foot 5er that Mgas on this thread post scale weights of 3200 lbs pin weight NOT READY TO CAMP and said he need to add another 500 to 1000 lbs to make ready to camp. That would added about 300 lbs to pin so now ready to camp range would be about 3500 lbs pin weight. In the truck you have 250 lbs hitch and 350 pounds of passenger/misc stuff you have about 4100 lbs in payload between the 5er and the truck. He has stated his truck payload is under 2300 and 6,000 lbs axles. That put in the neighborhood of 1800 lbs over GVWR and even more troubling he will about 800 lbs to 1000lbs over his RAWR and close to the same about over he rear tire ratings. Then you said go head and upgrade to 40 footer could easily be over double his payload and north of 1000 lbs over his RAWR. Glad you think you are giving good advice!
The trailer he is looking at does not have 3200 lb pin weight.

Per chevrolet.com, his truck is rated 17,900 for a fiver and 24,500 GCWR. And I didn't tell him to upgrade to a 40 footer. So if you want to exagerate, go ahead, but kindly refrain from attributing false statements to me.
I am done with this. This is why I generally just stay off these forums. The guy has a great truck that I have seen do tremendous amounts of heavy (and safe) work. And is very capable of towing the trailer he is looking at, anywhere. Safely.
__________________

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 3,302
Whoa.

I'm a guy that does not mind arguing with anybody about anything. That's just me, sometimes I actually enjoy it.

But many folks do not, and I am very sorry to have started a thread that is this contentious.

I understand everyone's view........and the pulling 'power' is not at stake, it's the weight in my truck.....to which pin weight is a huge contributor. I did not understand that originally and this forum helped me figure it out.

But the last thing I wanted was to cause contention.

I am very sorry for that.
__________________

__________________
BandJCarm is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.