Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
. I plan on taking a trip to Alaska this year and if I would get checked on my weight and have to pay a fine, it won't be but one time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Typically, the plates will be pulled as "unfit for highway use" and the trailer will have to be moved by a 3rd party (tow outfit, usually) to a secure location; until such time as the issue is resolved...

BC and Ontario have been known to do blitzes (usually on long weekends) and stop RV's - but that's the exception, not the rule...
Sounds like that week long trip to Alaska has the outside chance of being a real headache if overweight.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #132
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Will Canada only make you pay a fine or will they not let you on your way until in your limits? Seems like a lawsuit on them if you are found overweight at a scale and they let you continue on your way like that and, god forbid, something happens and somebody gets hurt. Kind of like if a cop pulled a person over and found them to be impaired but told them to go home and they kill someone or themselves behind the wheel that night. In my dad's day they did that all the time. This day and age? No way.

All these stickers, ratings, warnings, limits, etc... are imposed because somebody got hurt not knowing them and sued.

I don't know how they'd do it for an RV, but with commercial trucks (according to my DW's uncle who owns a trucking company, her cousin who helps run said company and is also a stand-by driver, plus my three various uncles who are all truck drivers) if it's found to be overweight the truck sits right there until the company provides a second truck to the site to offload some of the weight.

I'd hate to think what you'd have to do to offload the weight in an RV if the same applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #133
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post

BC and Ontario have been known to do blitzes (usually on long weekends) and stop RV's - but that's the exception, not the rule...

First time I've heard of them blitzing RVs. I haven't seen them doing that down here around Windsor. Usually they're just the standard Ride stops looking for drunk drivers on long weekends.

Are they more common further north?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #134
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Here is an article where the police determined the trailer was over weight and it was the cause of a fatal accident.

Overweight trailer causes fatal accident in NC
I see some problems with this report. Why would they state "Once you start throwing in bikes, camping gear and portable water tanks and sewage tanks and propane tanks, that makes it heavier," he said. If one is headed to a beach and hook up would one be carring water/sewage tanks full. Like most accidents reported you only get part of the facts. ILater RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #135
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I see some problems with this report. Why would they state "Once you start throwing in bikes, camping gear and portable water tanks and sewage tanks and propane tanks, that makes it heavier," he said. If one is headed to a beach and hook up would one be carring water/sewage tanks full. Like most accidents reported you only get part of the facts. ILater RJD

I took "sewage tanks" to mean things like a blue-boy. I don't think they meant they were full. I think they were just trying to highlight how everything you add just makes the trailer heavier.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Great links and some good reading!

OP sounds like you got it figured out at this point and are making the right move! When if first started I posted similar questions, many of these "weight police" guys told me I could not do it, soon as one guy told me he was towing more with less and it towed great...made my move and bought it. Well, "Weight Police" were right and the poor judgement on my part cost me a lot of money.

Each person is different, what tows "great" for one person tows poorly for another. Ultimately only that person can be responsible for his/her actions, me being a bit of a worry wart now own a dually! Not looking back!
Read the article. It was a Dodge Durango pulling a trailer over 8K. Tell me how that equates to a Duramax diesel in a 2500.
His truck (original post) is rated to tow a 17,900 fifth wheel (per Chevrolet specs) with a GCWR of 24,500 lb. The trailer he was looking at is well within those specs and that was what I was addressing.
The guy that weighed his (that others alluded to) with a pin weight of 3200 lb, obviously did not have his weight distributed optimally in the fver because his pin weight came out to over 23% of his trailer.
I would have liked to look around on this site but I just don't care for the exagerations of figures when trying to prove how politically correct your opinion is. Anyone can root around and find the stray example where someone with little or no knowledge or experience gets into trouble even when they are within (but close to) the manufacturer's recommended guidelines. I like to communicate more with those who approach situations where they rely on their own experience and temper decisions with educated caution, and not scare tactics and "what ifs". But that's just me.
So. See ya out on the horizon. Maybe.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
First time I've heard of them blitzing RVs. I haven't seen them doing that down here around Windsor. Usually they're just the standard Ride stops looking for drunk drivers on long weekends.

Are they more common further north?

The Enroute hiway stops on the 400 are almost guaranteed to have MTO and OPP setup on the May 24 weekend...

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Sounds like that week long trip to Alaska has the outside chance of being a real headache if overweight.

Not for me, I don't have headaches. Only the weight police have a headache

Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #139
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Read the article. It was a Dodge Durango pulling a trailer over 8K. Tell me how that equates to a Duramax diesel in a 2500.
His truck (original post) is rated to tow a 17,900 fifth wheel (per Chevrolet specs) with a GCWR of 24,500 lb. The trailer he was looking at is well within those specs and that was what I was addressing.
The guy that weighed his (that others alluded to) with a pin weight of 3200 lb, obviously did not have his weight distributed optimally in the fver because his pin weight came out to over 23% of his trailer.
I would have liked to look around on this site but I just don't care for the exagerations of figures when trying to prove how politically correct your opinion is. Anyone can root around and find the stray example where someone with little or no knowledge or experience gets into trouble even when they are within (but close to) the manufacturer's recommended guidelines. I like to communicate more with those who approach situations where they rely on their own experience and temper decisions with educated caution, and not scare tactics and "what ifs". But that's just me.
So. See ya out on the horizon. Maybe.
It relates because he is over on payload and rawr. And ideal pin weight is 20-25% of loaded trailer weight so his pin weight was just fine.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #140

A Durango with a Hemi for power could probably pull a house, but hitch weight had to make it squirrely sitting still.

Tags
towing