Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #121
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Here is an article where the police determined the trailer was over weight and it was the cause of a fatal accident.

Overweight trailer causes fatal accident in NC
Thats terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Maybe give this guy a quick call and have him explain it to you.

Scottsdale RV Accident Attorney | Motor Home Wreck |

Give this guy a quick jingle and see what he has to say.

Chicago RV Accident Attorneys - Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers

There long list of lawyers ads for overweight RVs.

http://www.personalinjuryclaimsblawg...ity-for-rvers/

Little more info on the subject

http://www.randolphwolf.com/blog/tow...rweight-loads/

Really interesting reading...From the link above

If you tow beyond the manufacturer’s limits you are treading on very thin legal ice. Understanding your responsibilities differences is critical if you intend to tow in a safe and prudent manner. Towing beyond any vehicle’s manufacturer’s weight ratings-or without regard to the properly equipped limitations a vehicle’s manufacturer places on the towing vehicle relates directly to the law of negligence and places may expose you to liability.
And with the added "baby boomers" hitting the road, and the crazy advise offered by sales people, and other uncaring individuals, besides the lack of research on the owners of overweight setups part.......these guys (attorneys ) are going to become more common and more profitable.

The funny thing is, the people that are giving advise to not worry about being overweight, are the voice that are going to back up attorney's claims and give them more ammunition for their cases.

Op....im glad your thinking hard about your setup and all!!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #122

I just bought a new 38 RiverStone that's has a dry weight of 16k plus and a gross weight of 18k and my 2015 gmc with duramax with Firestone airbags tows it great!!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:00 AM   #123
Who Dares, Wins

You mean if I tow a 42fter with a Honda Pilot because the dealer said I could... They won't be around to help deal with AZ rv accident attorney?

I think this is the first time someone actually posted occurrences AND lawyers looking for it in a weight thread... Usually the weight police just get beat up, leaving, all shaking our heads feeling sorry for the guy asking for help. Thank you CWSWine! Guess innuendo will be left for Family Guy and the Simpsons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Maybe give this guy a quick call and have him explain it to you.

Scottsdale RV Accident Attorney | Motor Home Wreck |

Give this guy a quick jingle and see what he has to say.

Chicago RV Accident Attorneys - Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers

There long list of lawyers ads for overweight RVs.

http://www.personalinjuryclaimsblawg...ity-for-rvers/

Little more info on the subject

http://www.randolphwolf.com/blog/tow...rweight-loads/

Really interesting reading...From the link above

If you tow beyond the manufacturer’s limits you are treading on very thin legal ice. Understanding your responsibilities differences is critical if you intend to tow in a safe and prudent manner. Towing beyond any vehicle’s manufacturer’s weight ratings-or without regard to the properly equipped limitations a vehicle’s manufacturer places on the towing vehicle relates directly to the law of negligence and places may expose you to liability.

Proof is in the pudding.

Good on you !

Here's the " proof" everyone is always asking for, when we stand up for the " lawyer" sticker.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #125

I think if lawyers were actually checking threads they would have already sued these RV manufacturers for sending out junk rv's, that the consumer buys. About all the sorry tires that are put on campers, I think lawyers would go after people that could pay. Until DOT starts weighing campers I won't ever put my camper on a scale. I plan on taking a trip to Alaska this year and if I would get checked on my weight and have to pay a fine, it won't be but one time. I don't have to spend money in Canada there is a lot of great places to go in the lower 48. One day I plan to move up to a Cedar Creek 36CKTS, it's a little longer and about the same weight and there is two places that my camper will not be seen at, a truck stop and a scale. I don't see why some people on here just don't buy a portable scale that way they could make sure they were never overloaded and they would know what each wheel weighs

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #126
Who Dares, Wins

I am actually surprised as well, with all the China bombs, a lawyer has not jumped on it yet

As for staying off the scales and fearing dot.. some of us are not worried about DOT (dot here are rare, locals can weight you as well and are much more common) . Some of us just want to makes sure we are legal and safe.. Not because we are afraid of the government... But because we are responsible adults that care about the safety of our families.. And making sure our 45000 cars make it to the end of their loan terms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #127

Will Canada only make you pay a fine or will they not let you on your way until in your limits? Seems like a lawsuit on them if you are found overweight at a scale and they let you continue on your way like that and, god forbid, something happens and somebody gets hurt. Kind of like if a cop pulled a person over and found them to be impaired but told them to go home and they kill someone or themselves behind the wheel that night. In my dad's day they did that all the time. This day and age? No way.

All these stickers, ratings, warnings, limits, etc... are imposed because somebody got hurt not knowing them and sued.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #128

China bombs will take a number of deaths caused by blow out events or a class action lawsuit with numerous owners involved with proof of early tire failure from delamination or similar. Problem with tires is proving the failure was due to their build quality and not from a road hazard or improper care.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post

All these stickers, ratings, warnings, limits, etc... are imposed because somebody got hurt not knowing them and sued.

That's why your coffee cup says " hot" !!

Common sense would say, yes. My coffee will be hot. But, since I was not told it was hot, I'm going to dump it on my crotch. Then sue, because I didn't know it was hot!??

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #130

Quote:
Will Canada only make you pay a fine or will they not let you on your way until in your limits? Seems like a lawsuit on them if you are found overweight at a scale and they let you continue on your way like that and, god forbid, something happens and somebody gets hurt. Kind of like if a cop pulled a person over and found them to be impaired but told them to go home and they kill someone or themselves behind the wheel that night. In my dad's day they did that all the time. This day and age? No way.
Typically, the plates will be pulled as "unfit for highway use" and the trailer will have to be moved by a 3rd party (tow outfit, usually) to a secure location; until such time as the issue is resolved...

That said - it's not like the MOT sits on the highway with scales for RV's - Non-commercial RV's (i.e. not transport companies) generally don't have to go through routine scale stops, nor run logbooks here. You usually have to do something to get the MOT or police attention in the first place. In addition, as long as your setup is legal where your vehicle is registered, it's generally given a pass here, as well.

BC and Ontario have been known to do blitzes (usually on long weekends) and stop RV's - but that's the exception, not the rule...

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
. I plan on taking a trip to Alaska this year and if I would get checked on my weight and have to pay a fine, it won't be but one time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Typically, the plates will be pulled as "unfit for highway use" and the trailer will have to be moved by a 3rd party (tow outfit, usually) to a secure location; until such time as the issue is resolved...

BC and Ontario have been known to do blitzes (usually on long weekends) and stop RV's - but that's the exception, not the rule...
Sounds like that week long trip to Alaska has the outside chance of being a real headache if overweight.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I don't know how they'd do it for an RV, but with commercial trucks (according to my DW's uncle who owns a trucking company, her cousin who helps run said company and is also a stand-by driver, plus my three various uncles who are all truck drivers) if it's found to be overweight the truck sits right there until the company provides a second truck to the site to offload some of the weight.

I'd hate to think what you'd have to do to offload the weight in an RV if the same applied.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post

First time I've heard of them blitzing RVs. I haven't seen them doing that down here around Windsor. Usually they're just the standard Ride stops looking for drunk drivers on long weekends.

Are they more common further north?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #134
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Here is an article where the police determined the trailer was over weight and it was the cause of a fatal accident.

Overweight trailer causes fatal accident in NC
I see some problems with this report. Why would they state "Once you start throwing in bikes, camping gear and portable water tanks and sewage tanks and propane tanks, that makes it heavier," he said. If one is headed to a beach and hook up would one be carring water/sewage tanks full. Like most accidents reported you only get part of the facts. ILater RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I see some problems with this report. Why would they state "Once you start throwing in bikes, camping gear and portable water tanks and sewage tanks and propane tanks, that makes it heavier," he said. If one is headed to a beach and hook up would one be carring water/sewage tanks full. Like most accidents reported you only get part of the facts. ILater RJD

I took "sewage tanks" to mean things like a blue-boy. I don't think they meant they were full. I think they were just trying to highlight how everything you add just makes the trailer heavier.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Great links and some good reading!

OP sounds like you got it figured out at this point and are making the right move! When if first started I posted similar questions, many of these "weight police" guys told me I could not do it, soon as one guy told me he was towing more with less and it towed great...made my move and bought it. Well, "Weight Police" were right and the poor judgement on my part cost me a lot of money.

Each person is different, what tows "great" for one person tows poorly for another. Ultimately only that person can be responsible for his/her actions, me being a bit of a worry wart now own a dually! Not looking back!
Read the article. It was a Dodge Durango pulling a trailer over 8K. Tell me how that equates to a Duramax diesel in a 2500.
His truck (original post) is rated to tow a 17,900 fifth wheel (per Chevrolet specs) with a GCWR of 24,500 lb. The trailer he was looking at is well within those specs and that was what I was addressing.
The guy that weighed his (that others alluded to) with a pin weight of 3200 lb, obviously did not have his weight distributed optimally in the fver because his pin weight came out to over 23% of his trailer.
I would have liked to look around on this site but I just don't care for the exagerations of figures when trying to prove how politically correct your opinion is. Anyone can root around and find the stray example where someone with little or no knowledge or experience gets into trouble even when they are within (but close to) the manufacturer's recommended guidelines. I like to communicate more with those who approach situations where they rely on their own experience and temper decisions with educated caution, and not scare tactics and "what ifs". But that's just me.
So. See ya out on the horizon. Maybe.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
First time I've heard of them blitzing RVs. I haven't seen them doing that down here around Windsor. Usually they're just the standard Ride stops looking for drunk drivers on long weekends.

Are they more common further north?

The Enroute hiway stops on the 400 are almost guaranteed to have MTO and OPP setup on the May 24 weekend...

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #138

Quote:
Sounds like that week long trip to Alaska has the outside chance of being a real headache if overweight.

Not for me, I don't have headaches. Only the weight police have a headache

Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Read the article. It was a Dodge Durango pulling a trailer over 8K. Tell me how that equates to a Duramax diesel in a 2500.
His truck (original post) is rated to tow a 17,900 fifth wheel (per Chevrolet specs) with a GCWR of 24,500 lb. The trailer he was looking at is well within those specs and that was what I was addressing.
The guy that weighed his (that others alluded to) with a pin weight of 3200 lb, obviously did not have his weight distributed optimally in the fver because his pin weight came out to over 23% of his trailer.
I would have liked to look around on this site but I just don't care for the exagerations of figures when trying to prove how politically correct your opinion is. Anyone can root around and find the stray example where someone with little or no knowledge or experience gets into trouble even when they are within (but close to) the manufacturer's recommended guidelines. I like to communicate more with those who approach situations where they rely on their own experience and temper decisions with educated caution, and not scare tactics and "what ifs". But that's just me.
So. See ya out on the horizon. Maybe.
It relates because he is over on payload and rawr. And ideal pin weight is 20-25% of loaded trailer weight so his pin weight was just fine.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #140

A Durango with a Hemi for power could probably pull a house, but hitch weight had to make it squirrely sitting still.
Closed Thread

Tags
towing