Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Towing Capacity

I just bought a 2016 Coachmen Mirada with a 5,000 lb trailor hitch. I would liket to tow my 2008 Grand Chreokee but am worried that it is too close to the capacity of the trailor hitch. The curb weight is 4,750 lbs. Is it safe to tow the Grand Chreokee or should I give up and tow my 2006 Mini Cooper. I can tow the Grand Cherokee 4 down but the Mini is an automatic trans and needs a dolly.
mdebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

Before you make a decision: How does the use of the full 5000 lb capacity effect your MH cargo capacity? If it reduces it, can you live with that?

Good link to understanding weights and capacities:

https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/basic...e-weights.html

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #3

It will reduce the overall capacity by 1,000 lbs. GVWR is 22K and GCWR is 26Km so if I tow 5K that leaves GVWR at 21K. I don't know enough to know if this is an issue, but I don't think so.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #4

Just remember that water, propane, waste tanks can add up very fast.

FWIW, we pulled an Acura MDX for about 250 days of travel. It was no problem with a diesel, but once unhooked for travel through many National Parks I really would have preferred a smaller, better handling vehicle. I actually considered renting a Mini for travel through Sequoia and Yosemite, but none were available nearby.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #5

Have had trouble deciding which to tow. However, we participate in long bike rides and the Jeep let's get from the park to the ride. Also, allows us to travel into the mountains in the winter to ski, leaving MH behind.

Tags
towing, towing capacity