Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #1

Towing Capacity for Minivan

I have a hitch on our 2007 Honda Odyssey Minivan. It has a V6 engine, but I am not sure of the horsepower. Right now we are towing a 2011 Fleetwood MAC 206LTD pop-up camper. The dry weight of the camper is 1,319, the payload capacity is 762, and the hitch weight is 174. What is the maximum lbs I can tow with my minivan? If we want to upgrade to a light travel trailer; I am wondering if I can use our minivan to tow it, or would I have to buy a new truck or suv?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #2

Maximum towing weight for this van is 3,500 lbs.

That is for a V6
See link for Vehicle here
2007 Honda Odyssey Specifications

Hope this helps

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #3

go find a travel trailer you like then buy a truck that will tow it and don't believe the rv salesmen or the truck salesmen on what it will tow
do your own research

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #4

Ok...right up my alley! Yes, it can tow 3500 lbs but only if you have added the accessory power steering cooler and trans cooler packages. Also, 3500 is rated at sea level and you need to subtract about 190 lbs of tow capacity for every 1000 feet of elevation change. And lastly, the rating changes even more depending on how many people/ equipment you will be carrying. I have seen a disclaimer (in my pilots manual) towing not recommended with over 6 people in vehicle.

Now ... What I've seen is your van towing pop ups that you have described as high as 9000ft with all their gear and 3 kids ( I'd say between 7-10 years old). My advice is to not fill water tanks when towing and service your trans every year. Should cost about $100. I see alot of vehicles that come in with trans sludge with fully loaded vans or towing and have never even put a thought to changing the trans fluid.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #5

Thanks all. I was just curious if we decide to upgrade to a travel trailer next year from our current pop-up camper. I guess I will need to cross that bridge when I come to it as we are not making any type of switch now. Thanks for your feedback though, it is very helpful and I appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Anacortesians

What a load of barnyard exhaust is spread about towing capacity. The UK Daily Telegraph recently listed the Caravan Club's "best tow vehcles". I'm going from memory, as I didn't save the article, but as I remember, the VW Golf was rated best for TTs up to 3000 lb., the Passat for trailers up to 3500 lb, the Jaguar XF for trailers up to 4500 lb and the 4.8 Litre Land Rover Discovery for trailers up to 7,000 lb.

My uncle used to tow an 18' "coachbuilt" (prononced "heavy") trailer all over Europe behnd an Austin Cambridge, which had drum brakes, a 4-speed stickshift and a 1.5L engine that got 55 Hp on a really good day. They weren't the quickest vehicle on the Swiss mountain passes, but they got by for over 20 years.

Incidentally, the other day in town, I saw one of those T@B teardrop trailers being towed by a recent model Toyota Corolla.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #7

So it sounds like the 2007 Honda Odyssey V6 minivan can tow more than 3,500 lbs even though the factory specs say 3,500 max? I can't go against the max factory specs can I?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingpick
So it sounds like the 2007 Honda Odyssey V6 minivan can tow more than 3,500 lbs even though the factory specs say 3,500 max? I can't go against the max factory specs can I?
As always, it's your vehicle and your choice to experiment with "limits".

From my experience though, what Honda puts in black and white is pretty close to truth. My Pilot can tow 4500. My pop-up loaded is 3600 plus wife, kids, dogs and gear in the TV. Highway driving is not bad-spends alot of time in 4th and gets about 13 mpg. But pulling a hill (especially at altitude) I'm running it at about 90-95% of max power- to sustain 45 mph to keep traffic behind me happy.

Oh and that's with the 4wd helping me get all that mass going.

Just a little info to try to help with you decision.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #9

We are new to popup camping, but we researched a lot on the Sienna Van with their Forums. Check to see online if they have a Honda Forum for your van. Many people can provide their experiences and setups that may help you. I was amazed what travel trailers people are towing.

In our case, our van has the V6 as well and 3500 lbs rated tow capacity. It was a recommendation from about 90% of the people on the Sienna forums to add an AirLift 1000 kit to the rear springs. Only about $80, I installed one and it really eliminated the sag at the rear end when the camper was attached.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Anacortesians

You might find, in the event of a road accident, that if you're towing more than the maximum that the vehicle manufacturer recommends, your auto insurance carrier may void your policy. This happened to friends of ours, even though they weren't at fault. The vehicle that hit them wasn't insured.

The driver of that vehicle, though clearly at fault and given a ticket by the State Patrol, still tried to sue our friends. Not only were they out of pocket for their destroyed Sienna and TT, they also had to spend money on lawyers to get the doofus that hit them off their backs. It wasn't until their lawyer countersued, on the basis that said "doofus" had deliberately caused the accident to gain a settlement, that all went quiet.

I sure wish the tow ratings in the US woudl get more reasonable, like the Europeans'. My Kia Sedona has a US tow rating of 3500 pounds. In England, even with a 2.7L diesel rather than the 3.5L V6 I have, it's rated to tow 5800 pounds.