Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

TOWING CAPACITY QUESTION jeep wrangler 4dr

New here, and just got a 2004 sv190t hybrid.

have a chevy silverado 2500 HD this will tow anything, but it has a regular cab. we are empty nested but we like to take two grandsons camping several times a year. having a regular cab hinders the amount of occupents to 3 in a reg cab.

question is...we also have a 2012 jeep wrangler 4 door, has a heavy durty hitch on back, but from what I can read we have the 3.21 gear? will this jeep tow this hybrid?

I did some research, and getting conflicting answers....figured one of you here on this forum would have a better insight to this.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
lunarcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Always Learning

Do you know the weights of the camper? Specifically it's tongue weight and total weight?

And, on the Jeep Wrangler, what is your cargo carrying capacity? (listed on a sticker on the door jamb that reads, "the total weight of occupants and cargo must not exceed XX lbs.)

Finally, what is a ballpark weight for you, your wife and grandkids (their and their ages)?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

I will check tonight and bounce those number off you.!
lunarcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarcaptain View Post
question is...we also have a 2012 jeep wrangler 4 door, has a heavy durty hitch on back, but from what I can read we have the 3.21 gear? will this jeep tow this hybrid?
If the hitch is factory installed, then it is not heavy duty.....at least not the last time that I researched Jeep Wranglers. It is a probably a class II hitch, rated for 3500 lbs, with a maximum 350 lb. tongue weight. Many Class II receivers just use a 1 1/4" receiver opening, but Jeep decided to go with the 2" on their hitches.

There should be a sticker on the hitch stating the capacities.

Wranglers used to have up to a 3500 lb. towing capability with the proper equipment (low final drive ratio), but it looks like now it is maximized at 2000 lbs. Don't know what year that changed. That means the newer Jeeps might only have a Class I hitch, rated at 2000 lbs.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Team

agree that 3500lbs. is the max with the factory tow package.
with only a 3.21 rear end, i'll bet the hitch receiver is a type II or was an aftermarket install.

no matter which it is, the hybrid is too much for the Jeep.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing