Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Towing Capacity questions

Been looking at getting a TT for quite a while now, done lots of research and we had settled on an R-Pod because of their light weight.

The one we were looking at has a 2285 UVW.

We're certain we can tow that with relative ease, but recently I've been doing some thoughts of something a bit bigger, not much

So now I'm looking at a Rockwood Mini Lite ETC 184 UVW 2987, or the 2104 model with UVW or 3052.

Not a huge difference but in our case every lb matters.

Our TV is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD. We will have a transmission cooler installed on it eventually.

From what I know from forum crawling and net research with a Class IV WDH, my max TC is 5000lbs, and a GCWR of 11,000lbs.

I know we'd be better suited at pulling the R-Pod, but the Mini Lite has ammenities and a want list on it that is very appealing.

So, thoughts, suggestions, warnings and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and knowledge!
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #2

Often overlooked and very rarely will you be told this but wheelbase of your TV is a VERY important factor in towing camping trailers. Length of trailer to not exceed is figured by dividing the wheelbase of your vehicle by 5. The 2004 ZJ has a wheelbase of 106" which would equate to a trailer length to not exceed of about 21.5 feet. As the trailers you are looking at come in at around 18' give or take you should be good there.

If you have the 6cyl engine in the ZJ you may not be all that thrilled with towing with it, if it's the 8cyl you should be good.

There are many here that are better at the towing stuff than I am so I am sure they will lend their expertise.

Welcome to the forums.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post

If you have the 6cyl engine in the ZJ you may not be all that thrilled with towing with it, if it's the 8cyl you should be good.

Welcome to the forums.
We do have the 6cyl, and while we know it might not be ideal we've heard lots of good things about towing the smaller weight R-Pods from another forum. People are usually quite easily pulling them through Yellowstone, etc with similar 6cyl vehicles.

This is again why I'm curious if moving up in models and tacking on the additional 800lbs would be ill advised.

We very well may stick with the lighter model R-Pod's but I am hopeful to hear encouragement about towing the others.

And thank you for the welcome.
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

Since UVW or any other similar claims are totally useless I suggest that you go back and look at those trailers GVWR numbers. While you may not get there when loaded ready to camp you darn sure will never see the UVW number even when you drive it off the lot. And before you do anything. load your Jeep up like you would normally have it loaded for a camping trip and go to the scales. Subtract that number from the manufacturers GVWR and GCWR for the Jeep. That will give you a real world idea of how much you might be able to load and tow without exceeding the manufacturers numbers.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

check out this calculator

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

and don't forget the wheel base calculation.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote