Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #21

F-250/350 Axle Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwilliams808 View Post
I pull a blue ridge 3025RL that scales at 13,995 with a 2015 F-250 4X4 and I am over GVWR on truck by 1500#, I have pulled 39,000 miles with absolutely no issues, high winds, mountains, no problem. I do have airbags installed, I have talked to several Ford truck reps and they told me that the GVWR has more to do with braking than overweighting the frame, they also told me that the F-350 axle and the F-250 are the same part number with the F-350 having a 4" block/stop over the axle, the airbags have basically given me a 350. I was concerned about the weight and was looking at purchasing a 350 and the reps said unless I just had to have a 350, my 250 was fine as is. These were 2 different reps in different cities. I also know that my braking is adequate after having to make an emergency stop on I-20 in Dallas.
I keep seeing on this forum and others that the rear axle on F-250 and 350 SRW Superduty trucks are "the same part number". If carefully researched, one will find this is NOT the case despite what some tech says or what "everyone" knows that is circulating on the internet. I don't have the time or inclination to find the specs again now but what I found was a Ford document that had the specs to include manufacturer model number and axle dimensions. The axle itself (and not the housing or suspension) used on the 350 SRW has a larger diameter than the one used on a 250. The resulting difference in capability is shown in this link under "Chassis Specifications":

http://www.ford.com/trucks/super-dut...s/f250-lariat/

My 2016 F-250 4x4 SRW CC has the optional snow plow attaching gear which includes a front axle which is rated higher than the standard shown in this chart at 5,940# which looks to be an F-350/450 axle for that option. The rear axle is placarded at 6,100# for whatever reason.

Not looking to stir the pot on the subject, but want to encourage owners to seek factual data when make loading decisions.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
I keep seeing on this forum and others that the rear axle on F-250 and 350 SRW Superduty trucks are "the same part number". If carefully researched, one will find this is NOT the case despite what some tech says or what "everyone" knows that is circulating on the internet. I don't have the time or inclination to find the specs again now but what I found was a Ford document that had the specs to include manufacturer model number and axle dimensions. The axle itself (and not the housing or suspension) used on the 350 SRW has a larger diameter than the one used on a 250. The resulting difference in capability is shown in this link under "Chassis Specifications":

http://www.ford.com/trucks/super-dut...s/f250-lariat/

My 2016 F-250 4x4 SRW CC has the optional snow plow attaching gear which includes a front axle which is rated higher than the standard shown in this chart at 5,940# which looks to be an F-350/450 axle for that option. The rear axle is placarded at 6,100# for whatever reason.

Not looking to stir the pot on the subject, but want to encourage owners to seek factual data when make loading decisions.
I was not going to open that pot of poop but you are correct. Sales at a Ford dealership is not aware unless a Ford truck only dealership. I have not yet met a salesperson at a regular dealership that has a clue about payload, including 2 sales managers. No one can rely on sales at the neighborhood car dealership or at any RV dealer. Research, and not by the internet mechanics when buying a TV or RV.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #23

Double????? Deleted
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #24

We just put a deposit down on an 360IBL yesterday. We have a GMC 2500HD. We usually camp within 2 hr from home. We sold our Wildcat 312BHX last month. The dry weight on it was 9,222 and you could barely tell we were hauling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Campingwith2kids2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f250, towing