Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #1

towing courtesy

i get real uneasy by holding people up on the road....i try getting out of the way fast as i can...but i have seen other people oblivious or dont give a $h.., no matter how long the queue behind them....i know truckers have a job to do...and they are just doing their job....amongst themselves ... i have seen them pass each other at a rate of about 1 foot every 3 seconds and getting 80 ft plus distance to pass back into right lane taking 5 minutes or more... i have patience for them...but for some of my fellow trailer vacationers i dont. if i'm holding up and getting a queue behind me i pull over at first chance and get the heck out of the way.

i realize the tv has a lot to do with it...but being under powered is not a good way to go...4 lane hi ways no problem...two lane country roads.... another story.

i know...its a chance to learn patience and feel love for my fellow man.....Lord...please help me to learn faster...

p.s. i have no problem with anyone doing the speed limit or close to it...this is about ROAD HOGS.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

On highways I stick to the right lane doing the speed limit or 60 to 65 (whatever is less). On the surface streets I am doing the speed limit. My theory, if you want to pass me, that is what the dotted yellow is for, otherwise.. Enjoy the view! LOL

If I pulled over for ever impatient driver texting while shaving and eating a big mac needing to go 20 miles in the next 4 minutes we would never get to the campground!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

Trying to figure the driving habits of other people is useless. No matter what age, sex, situation, what they are driving and wheather there are kids in the vehicle or not, from what I have seen, a lot of people don't care if they are driving safe or not. The driver just has to get there no matter what. So just drive very defensively. Allow a ton of room for the one that has to get in front. Drive careful.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #4

i have no problem with people doing the speed limit...not what my post is about, so will go add it in there quick.
2016 miles and nights
Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
Trying to figure the driving habits of other people is useless. No matter what age, sex, situation, what they are driving and wheather there are kids in the vehicle or not, from what I have seen, a lot of people don't care if they are driving safe or not. The driver just has to get there no matter what. So just drive very defensively. Allow a ton of room for the one that has to get in front. Drive careful.
You are correct. Many actually have no idea how fast they are going or how good or bad they are driving. They are so wrapped up in everything else BUT driving. I am a 15,000 lbs vehicle going down the road. Not interested in weaving or pulling over anymore than I need to. Does not mean I will be an Alpha Hotel about it, but, pull over on the side of the road around here to be courteous and you will never be allowed back on the road..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
i have no problem with people doing the speed limit...not what my post is about, so will go add it in there quick.
Not saying you did. Just my thoughts on the issue. I will agree that too many people are out and about with TV way under rated for what they tow. One could argue that if you cannot maintain the posted speed limit on a roadway (weather and conditions permitting of course) you should not even have left the driveway! LOL

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

I'm not sure everyone realizes it, but a lot of the fleet semi trucks on the road today have "governors" or "speed limiters" on them. They can only travel at a certain rate of speed. So when you see one just creeping past another one, what you see is the difference in the max speed of their governors.

Owner operator trucks are less likely to be governed.

Other than that, I too find myself at a loss to explain the driving habits of the general population.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

And blowing a horn will sure inspire/encourage them to slow down even more just to aggravate you even more, not including scaring the crap out of someone and possibly causing them to swerve into someone or something. Childish behavior IMO.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #9

i have spent many many hours towing this year...as my monthly miles will show...it's what i have noticed and i realize there is not a darn thing i can do about it other than pacifying my own state of mind....and i manage that pretty well !!...and i am hooking up for another trip for tomorrow to casa grande for the copper state fly-in...4/6 lanes all the way...yeehaa!
2016 miles and nights
Old 10-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

My .02
I watch the professional drivers and try to follow their "best practices". Now, before this evolves into "the last inconsiderate knucklehead trucker" experiences, yes there are bad examples too.
For the most part these guys stay in their lane, signal their intentions, and show professional courtesy to all on the road. They also plan ahead and know their route; planning for exits and stops before there are any last minute OMG I'm going to miss the exit moments.
I drive 65 on the highway and try to keep up with the speed limit on the byways. I pull to the right (as far as it's safe) to allow folks to pass and let them know when they're safely past and can come back in front of me. I signal early and often and plan ahead for stops and route changes.
And finally, drive defensively and decisively. Alert driving and courteous driving are my goals.
Happy Trails and
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5124.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	92381  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

On 4 lane roads, I try to find a trucker that is doing 65 mph, and follow at a safe distance, but still within his slip stream, as I seem to getting better mpg there.

When I get a line of cars behind me on 2 lane roads, I pull over when convenient. Most drivers wave their appreciation..........not the 1 finger version.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #12

The basic problem is that it would seem few people understand "Pass left, keep right". Its actually the law here in NJ and you can get a ticket for chugging along at 55 in the left lane. You are obstructing traffic at this point, but since most states don't preach this or put up signage, pulling a trailer or not pulling a trailer doesn't matter in the equation.

So as usual, the people that know or care will compensate for the people that don't. I don't think that will ever go away, unfortunately.
Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
My .02
I watch the professional drivers and try to follow their "best practices". Now, before this evolves into "the last inconsiderate knucklehead trucker" experiences, yes there are bad examples too.
For the most part these guys stay in their lane, signal their intentions, and show professional courtesy to all on the road. They also plan ahead and know their route; planning for exits and stops before there are any last minute OMG I'm going to miss the exit moments.
I drive 65 on the highway and try to keep up with the speed limit on the byways. I pull to the right (as far as it's safe) to allow folks to pass and let them know when they're safely past and can come back in front of me. I signal early and often and plan ahead for stops and route changes.
And finally, drive defensively and decisively. Alert driving and courteous driving are my goals.
Happy Trails and
Right on! Dad taught me the 5P's early on - "Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance"...... Keep calm and Travel On
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #14

How close would you be to the truck if you are in his stream?
Old 10-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
How close would you be to the truck if you are in his stream?
Well if we follow NASCAR rules...

Right on his Mansfield Bar, maybe a bit closer so you can hook to his rear Pintle if he has one free!

I keep my one total vehicle length for every 10 mph. Again, weather and conditions permitting.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #16

And then after 50, it should be doubled. If you want to know how many are safe drivers, drive in a costruction zone where it is 45. 99% will pass.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
And then after 50, it should be doubled. If you want to know how many are safe drivers, drive in a costruction zone where it is 45. 99% will pass.
Yeah they will... At 75.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #18

Getting passed some vehicles is impossible on 2 lane roads just keep your best pace that your comfortable with and keep moving. Pulling over on the shoulder is dangerous for you and those following you. If you don't like followers, when you get to the next town pull over in a safe place and let your followers go by. 4 lane roads stay in the right lane as much as possible and stay aware of your surroundings, signal intentions in advance don't wait till last minute. Most people behind you understand and those that don't , Oh well you can't fix stupid.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post
The basic problem is that it would seem few people understand "Pass left, keep right". Its actually the law here in NJ and you can get a ticket for chugging along at 55 in the left lane. You are obstructing traffic at this point, but since most states don't preach this or put up signage, pulling a trailer or not pulling a trailer doesn't matter in the equation.

So as usual, the people that know or care will compensate for the people that don't. I don't think that will ever go away, unfortunately.
The problem I have with keep right pass left is that the right lane gets torn all to crap. When I picked up my new Puma last Spring the Interstates were in bad shape in the right lane- as in seriously jarring the TT and TV. I chugged along in the left lane at 65 and ticked a LOT of people off. I waved merrily as they honked- and often honked back. If you want me to stay in the right lane you're gonna have to maintain it to a level that isn't going to tear up my equipment.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Around here is PA all the lanes suck and the bridges are falling down... I do hate trying to dodge the gators in the shoulder / edge of the right lane though...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
towing