Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #51

What do i do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by usvipaul View Post
I thinking of upgrading my truck. I currently have a 2012 Tundra 4.6l DC 4x4 and pull a 2011 Rockwood 2604. The truck pulls fine here on the east coast, but I'm retiring next year and DW and I want to travel west and I know this truck won't do mountains well. I'm looking at some used Silverado/Sierra 2500hd trucks. My dilemma is do I go with a 2006-2009 Duramax LBZ/LMM in the $30-$35000 range (low miles) or something like a newer 2011 6.0l gas engine? I know the diesel will do it fine, but I worry about a used diesel and maintenance/repairs. If anyone out there has any experience towing with a gas 6.0 2500hd pulling a 6000lb trailer (5800 empty) in the mountains I sure would like to hear from you. Thanks for a great forum. Can't go a day without checking in here!
Thanks. Paul
One of the things i have not heard anyone say is this;
If you go with a diesel truck and you want to travel around the country (and through the mountains) you can (add a extra fuel tank) if you have a gas model you can not!
So for the better long haul motor and the added fuel tank i will not even think about my next truck it will be nothing but a diesel.

silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #52

Well for me it came down to safety, and the choice between a screaming gasser and a purring diesel. To help make the decision for me I decided to check my actual towing needs... in other words, how much I actually tow, percentage wise. I'd say if you will be towing more than 25% of your driving time, a diesel is a must. Mine is running about 1,400 rpm at 65, and so was the gasser. Add a little grade, and the diesel is still at 1,400 but the gasser is at 2,700. Add more grade and the diesel is at 1,400 and the gasser is at 3,600. Get steep and the diesel is now at 1,800, having finally downshifted... but the gasser is in 3rd at 4,400 or 2nd at 5,200... just to maintain 65. And, with a 3/4 ton truck, you get bigger brakes and stiffer tires. If you're on a grade and your trailer brakes fail, would you rather have bigger brakes and exhaust braking, or 1/2 ton brakes and very little engine braking in comparison.

My fuel economy with my diesel is close to the same not towing... if not a touch better. Towing mileage is wonderful in comparison. I am getting 12 - 14 mpg towing a 7,200# TT. My F-150 would get 9.5 at best... with a tailwind. With a headwind and hills it would drop to 6 - 7 mpg... Not EVER going back to a 1/2 ton gasser as long as I am towing.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
I didn't read the 4-pages of responses, but I have a vast knowledge of diesel duramax's.... and the cost associated in owning them.
I can't stress this enough.... run... don't walk away from a Chevrolet diesel truck. I have had 6 of them in our business... all of them are serviced through a dealer and everyone of them has had numerous problems.... aside from the excellent transmissions, they are junk. Don't believe me, ask a diesel mechanic.
My problems are as follows and not listed in any chronological order
03 through 08....
4-Turbo's
4 Turbo actuator sensors
2 Head gaskets
1 cracked intercooler
2 Rear axel bearings on 2 different trucks
1 Set of tie-rods
1 pitman arm
2 sets of hub bearings
2 fuel pumps
3 exhaust filter problems
many many check engine lights for various issues
... and a bunch of glow plugs and misc other items I can't think of right now.
If you added up all the mileage on all of the trucks and put them all together you couldn't come up to 200,000 miles
They are junk in stock form...

I will note that one of our 06's is a 1-ton dully pick up with 4-WD that I personally drive. This truck is babied beyond the normal as it is my favorite for pulling the 17 foot dessert fox toy hauler hunting or my jeep to Moab...
it is in right now for $7400 of repairs... head gaskets and tuner up grades...
The only reason this truck wasn't junked is because I just put 5K in tires, suspension, and front end...
When I get this truck back it has been said it will be bullet proof and if it had wings it would fly...
I could care less about that, but it'd be great to get 115,000 miles on it while not spending so much time in the shop.

I have had two and yes I have had a glow plug to go bad but GM paid for that. My 2500 08 had 80,000 miles when I traded it in 12 for a 3500 and it now has 65,000 miles on it. I have had one bad camper out of four but the dmax had been great

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #54

I have a 2009 gmc 3500 dually diesel lbz- I pay 100 for oil change at dealer- usually 2x a yr
avg 12.4 mpg.I am a transporter - have pulled 40' park models - 38' 5ers about anything I want. LOVE the power and control. no complaints. bought it 2011 with 11,000 miles for 28 grand- was offered 34,500 on a trade in for a denali 3500 dually
but I only have 34,500 miles on it now.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
I didn't read the 4-pages of responses, but I have a vast knowledge of diesel duramax's.... and the cost associated in owning them.
I can't stress this enough.... run... don't walk away from a Chevrolet diesel truck. I have had 6 of them in our business... all of them are serviced through a dealer and everyone of them has had numerous problems.... aside from the excellent transmissions, they are junk. Don't believe me, ask a diesel mechanic.
My problems are as follows and not listed in any chronological order
03 through 08....
4-Turbo's
4 Turbo actuator sensors
2 Head gaskets
1 cracked intercooler
2 Rear axel bearings on 2 different trucks
1 Set of tie-rods
1 pitman arm
2 sets of hub bearings
2 fuel pumps
3 exhaust filter problems
many many check engine lights for various issues
... and a bunch of glow plugs and misc other items I can't think of right now.
If you added up all the mileage on all of the trucks and put them all together you couldn't come up to 200,000 miles
They are junk in stock form...

I will note that one of our 06's is a 1-ton dully pick up with 4-WD that I personally drive. This truck is babied beyond the normal as it is my favorite for pulling the 17 foot dessert fox toy hauler hunting or my jeep to Moab...
it is in right now for $7400 of repairs... head gaskets and tuner up grades...
The only reason this truck wasn't junked is because I just put 5K in tires, suspension, and front end...
When I get this truck back it has been said it will be bullet proof and if it had wings it would fly...
I could care less about that, but it'd be great to get 115,000 miles on it while not spending so much time in the shop.
And you didn't even mention the nightmare fuel injectors of the 2003. My father in law fought that problem for 10 years. I was with him several times when it left us stranded. And the door caught on fire in the controls, steering column locked up on him while driving, instrument cluster went out twice. It was miserable, and he still brags about what a great truck it was. We have different tolerance levels when it comes to car trouble.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #56
USVIPaul

Papa, that's the best thing I've heard all day! How could you argue with that? Gold monkey....love it! Thanks!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #57
USVIPaul

Dcheatwood, I will let you know when I make the switch. I admire you for pulling your rig with that Tundra. One of the reasons I'm switching is for payload capacity. When I hook up that 2604, load up the DW, our 80lb. lab, Ruby, and a few light things in there bed, I'm at GVWR. And I know that 5.7 only has about 150lbs. more payload capacity than my 4.6l Tundra. I have weighed at a station in tow trim with a full tank of gas and propane without the trailer and only have 700 lbs left for tongue weight. Don't know what your pin weight is, but it could be over 850. Love my Tundra. Wish they would come out with a diesel. I'm getting close to analysis paralysis! All of you out there are so great for giving me your input on this. I know this diesel vs gas thing has been hashed over and over and I'm sorry for opening a can of worms, but I need information and this is the best place I know to get it straight. I have mechanics telling me the Duramax is the best. I have close friends that have Powerstrokes who swear by them. And horror stories from all brands. I suppose I want to make the best decision for our family, not just for me. As Red Green says, "we're all in this together". Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks to you all.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by usvipaul View Post
I thinking of upgrading my truck. I currently have a 2012 Tundra 4.6l DC 4x4 and pull a 2011 Rockwood 2604. The truck pulls fine here on the east coast, but I'm retiring next year and DW and I want to travel west and I know this truck won't do mountains well. I'm looking at some used Silverado/Sierra 2500hd trucks. My dilemma is do I go with a 2006-2009 Duramax LBZ/LMM in the $30-$35000 range (low miles) or something like a newer 2011 6.0l gas engine? I know the diesel will do it fine, but I worry about a used diesel and maintenance/repairs. If anyone out there has any experience towing with a gas 6.0 2500hd pulling a 6000lb trailer (5800 empty) in the mountains I sure would like to hear from you. Thanks for a great forum. Can't go a day without checking in here!
Thanks. Paul
My wife bought a 6.4 Hemi 3500 for a second tow vehicle, we r truck people.
I've got a Dodge 6.7 Cummins and the Hemi is a good truck and tows well however, it don't even compare to a diesel. I can sit the cruise on 65 and go, course if u get in some big hills like the Smokys then she'll downshift.

Diesel is undeniably the best tow rig
Old 08-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #59

As for oil changes; my local Chevy dealer offers oil & filter change package (both gas & diesel) where you pay for about 1 1/2 of a regular service & you get 4. Been doing it with both of my vehicles there for years. Really good deal.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #60
Site Team

You're doing your homework. That's good. You'll make a decision you'll be happy with. I'll be interested to know what you decide.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, towing