Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #101

When diesels break down that HD stands for hundreds of dollars. My fathers old 98 24v cummins had the trans rebuilt 2x and both the high and low pressure pumps replaced at separate times...both times leaving him on the side of the road with a trailer. All 4 instances left him thousands of dollars poorer.

My father in law just sold his Duramax after having to replace all the injectors at $380 each. The tech was amazed he made it to 130,000 before they went.

A diesel motor is built to last a million miles...
...it's all the crap around it that isnt.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Usually Diesel's don't have these types of problems with so few miles (6.0 Ford excluded) Blown head gasket happen when there is a over heat situation. Or could be just some bad luck. Once you get it repaired your going to sell and buy a gasser right.
Well we had 6 of these things... now we have 3 left. We haul 5th wheel goose neck trailers for our business in Oregon Washington and California. The one with the blown head gaskets is not used for the business outside of driving clients around or the occasional camping or hunting trip I take with the Dessert Fox.

After this one gets fixed, I'll keep it just for that use, but it won't / can't be depended on for anything important like running to make a delivery someplace. The Chevy Duramax's have been a nighmare... they are maintained and serviced at the dealership at regular intervals, and we don't go over on mileage... $ isn't a big issue... not as big of an issue as time is anyway... the cost of not making a shipping date or time is way more expensive than the regular maintenance and repairs... time down is the most!

When I go to replace my Tahoe, I will likely replace it with the biggest gas Chevy pick up truck I can get...

We still have trucks in the business, just changing them out to Internationals and bigger 2-ton flat beds that won't be towing...
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
It was an early 24 valve

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nothing noisier than an old Cummins
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #104

In Ohio everything rusts at the same rate so IMO it's not wise to buy more truck than you need... That $60K truck will rust at the same rate as the $30K truck by the same manufacturer so the more you spend the more you lose - that's what depreciation is all about. So if you don't need it for now, don't buy it for now, especially if you are financing...

IMO if you find a good deal on gently used gear you may not experience any net depreciation for a couple years - provided you get the deal up-front... Therefore you could literally sell both TV & TT for what you paid & upgrade both with only the loss of sales tax, maintenance, etc. Gas trucks may not have the higher resell value of diesels, but once they drop below $15K they can hold their value for 3-4 years.

For instance, in 2013 I purchased a 2 year-od Ram 2500 w/Hemi for $14K & 2011 PT Tracer 3150 for $20K-ish. Two years later I have had folks offer me $15K+ for the Ram & what I paid for the Tracer...

Since I haven't needed a diesel 1 ton for the last 2 years, I have not had the higher associated costs - fuel, depreciation, interest on payments, etc. My Hemi had no trouble towing my 8,500 lb. TT through the Smokies & I'll deal with the Rockies if/when we get out that way... For now we have everything we need & our total investment is less than $35K - again, for gear that's only 2 years old...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, towing