Old 08-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #81

I owned a Nissan Titan when I bought my Aviator TT [11,000+lbs]. I had been towing a PassPort Ultralite and all was good till I tried towing the Aviator. No deal! It would have worked my truck to death and not worked at all in the mountains. I loved my Titan, but knew I was headed to diesel.
Bought a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison and still can't understand why I didn't do it years ago.
Even though the stock truck meets all the GWs. I added a set of "Super Springs" that gave me an extra 1,000lbs total capacity on the truck. Since I added a 50gal transfer tank in the bed, I figured the extra springs wouldn't hurt.
I have no regrets and wouldn't change a thing. A cap on the back may be down the road to secure all my "gotta have" junk in the bed.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
My wife bought a 6.4 Hemi 3500 for a second tow vehicle, we r truck people.
I've got a Dodge 6.7 Cummins and the Hemi is a good truck and tows well however, it don't even compare to a diesel. I can sit the cruise on 65 and go, course if u get in some big hills like the Smokys then she'll downshift.

Diesel is undeniably the best tow rig
Don't they put those Hemi's in passenger cars as well?

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #83

I went with a RAM 2500 6.4l. We looked at a few cummins, but figured with the truck being our primary driver in a small town it wouldn't have enough time to warm up driving to the store and back, or to pick up kids from school, etc...

One thing to remember, modern gas motors in these HD/SD trucks have similar torque to early power stroke and cummins 12v but with 2x the horsepower.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
I went with a RAM 2500 6.4l. We looked at a few cummins, but figured with the truck being our primary driver in a small town it wouldn't have enough time to warm up driving to the store and back, or to pick up kids from school, etc...

One thing to remember, modern gas motors in these HD/SD trucks have similar torque to early power stroke and cummins 12v but with 2x the horsepower.
Yes you are correct on "modern gas motors in these HD/SD trucks have similar torque to EARLY POWER STROKE AND CUMMINS.My cheap of the line has 820 lb. Said i was not getting in to this. EVERYONE HAS A BLAH BLAH ABOUT GAS VERSUS DIESEL IT WILL NEVER END BUT ALWAY'S A GOOD back and forth till it goes on and on and well you get.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 PM   #85

Wink diesel/gas

We have 2001 dodge Cummins diesel 3/4 ton and have had a camper on it and now bumper pull 23 ft travel trailer and we wouldn't trade it in on a new one because they run forever. We no longer have the camper. It also has 187,000 miles. We live on the west and never have an issue pulling over the Sierra or tehachapi pass. A while back it had a overheating issue, but my husband blew out the radiator and its running fine. Will never go back to gas, plus diesel is less expensive than gas.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Yes you are correct on "modern gas motors in these HD/SD trucks have similar torque to EARLY POWER STROKE AND CUMMINS.My cheap of the line has 820 lb. Said i was not getting in to this. EVERYONE HAS A BLAH BLAH ABOUT GAS VERSUS DIESEL IT WILL NEVER END BUT ALWAY'S A GOOD back and forth till it goes on and on and well you get.
I was juse stating my case on why I chose a gas. My first 3/4t was a first hen powerstroke with a 5sp. Pulled like a freight train. However, it was also my daily driver. It didn't like -20F and never really warmed up at all in winter months even with the grill opening blocked. After 150k she started to drop injectors after having replaced all the glow plugs. Maybe that was normal, but growing up in the house of a truck driver who still drives part time in retirement I attributed the seemingly early failures to short hops where the engine never really warmed up and l Iong cold winters full of the same.

My father currently has a 2012 6.7l cummins 3500 HO that has been deleted and chipped. Empty we get about the same mpg. Loaded he gets about 1-2mpg better with the same load and trailer. The big difference is his truck only comes out of the garage for long trips or towing when mine is literally the family truckster.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #87

I also believe many of us have been spoiled with the current diesel HP wars. It's awesome what they have done with tech, but at the same time maybe a little ridiculous. Today it is not acceptable to lose 1mpg going up 6% grade at 60-65 at 1800 rpm and getting 18 empty.

As a kid my grandfather had a 77 dodge 3/4t 440 auto that he used to pull a small prowler 5er. Maybe got 11 empty and probably pulled 6% at 4500rpm at 30mph. Lol
Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Don't they put those Hemi's in passenger cars as well?
that's correct. you can get the Hemi in cars also.
Dodge 3500 6.4 Hemi
DavidAndDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #89

Now that we've had the Great Diesel Vs Gas discussion we need to start one on oil! :-)

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Dually Diesel
Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Then your sniffer has gone south. I worked around diesels most of my life hated the smell clothes and all. Later RJD

Short funny story. I know a diesel mechanic for 30 years plus...he had a dodge diesel p/u and one day he wasn't driving it...he said I sold it...I said why? He said I got tired of the noise. ???? What in the world??

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, towing