Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Towing Experience - Going from 7K to 10K

Well, we were looking at stepping up to a fifth wheel but ultimately concluded the sheer weight and the impact of pin weight on our payload capacity was just too much. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on the new Rockwood 8329SB travel trailer now that they've corrected the lack of storage found with its predecessor the 8329SS. 8800 lbs dry. Loaded weight will run right around 10K lbs.

I'm towing with a 3/4 ton GMC with 6.0 gas engine and 4:10 gears so I know I have plenty of capacity, both towing and payload to handle it. I'm really more curious about the overall towing experience going from 7K lbs and 30 ft to 10K lbs and 35 ft. Most of our trips involve short stints over a mountain pass or a stretch of hilly terrain but mostly level highway driving to get where we're going. Anyone else out their towing 10-11K with a similar set up? Appreciate any input on your overall towing experience.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

I did the same exact swap , but with a different truck. I went from 26' and about 6800 pounds to 38 feet and about 10K +/- depending on loading.

I had a ram 2500 with the 6.4. Long Bed Crew Cab 4x4. It handled the load very well in terms of suspension and ride, braking etc. My particular truck also handled the load well towing as long as the hills weren't too long or steep. One trip to a favorite camping spot with the heavier camper though and and I was experiencing downshifts to 2nd and high RPMS and I just didnt feel like I wanted to do that all the time so I traded for a 1 ton diesel, and then got a larger heavier 5th wheel.

You are gonna notice the difference in weight, how that effects you personally is up to you. I think the 6.0 with the 4:10 is a good pulling combo from what I have read, but I dont have experience with it.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #3

I pull a 9500lbs 12foot+ tall trailer (and have another 1000lbs in the truck) with a '17 double cab, long box, 6.0, 4x4, 4:10's. About 12k miles.

If the conditions allow (light traffic) I like to drive 72-74 and most of the time the truck will pull it in 5th gear at about 2800rpms. A hill will require a downshift to 4th...some headwinds will require a downshift to 4th. If it's a hill or grade I will just stand on it to keep speed, if I'm going across the windy plains with a headwind that requires 4th gear I will drop speed to about 60-62. Its very rare but I have encountered some grades that required a downshift to 3rd but I don't recall anything dropping the speed below 60.

I'm happy with the performance from the truck. It doesn't use any oil. The engine temp never moves. Even in the Black Hills or the Appalachians going up and down, up and down the transmission temp never gets above 185 and I use it like the tool it is...

I'm not brand loyal to anything and I could have paid for any of the trucks (gas or diesel)...but if I could go back I would do the same thing.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

The two biggest changes you'll feel is it will take longer to get up to speed and climb hills AND most importantly, stopping distance will increase. Just simple physics.

The rest will just be a matter of getting used to the extra length when turning corners, entrances to parking lots/gas stations, and parking in campsites.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

I’ve got an ‘06 3/4 ton 6.0 with 4:10s and am pulling 12,000 lbs - granted a 5er
As earlier mentioned, getting up to speed (65) takes a bit, but this truck will chug along on level ground all day long in OD (4th) at 2200 rpms getting 9mpg.
My 6.0 (lq4) has been tuned (see sig) and this woke her right up [emoji106].
I’m never in a hurry but don’t spare the whip on the hills here in Michigan. I typically only have to downshift to 3rd on hills and it does fine. I don’t have to prove anything, so if I lose a few mph doing it - so what.
Your truck is designed for what you will do.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
CGK
Camping with Labs

Our present rig is a few hundred pounds lighter than the one you are considering, and our previous rig was a little longer than your current TT at 33 feet and loaded was about 600 pounds heavier - and we have a 3.73 rear that is not as aggressive as your more tow-worthy 4.10 - but that still may be close enough for a valid comparison. I believe your 6.0 is at least as powerful as our 8.1, too. Because ours is a 3/4 ton SUV, we are right at the top of our payload rating, and are also pushing the GCVW rating; but our TV is a workhorse and has never let us down. The new coach loaded weighs-in at a little less than 9200 pounds, but the Yukon XL handles it well and goes up long, steep inclines just fine. I should mention we use a Hensley Arrow hitch and would not pull this heavy, long TT without it - no sway at all. We never get better than 10 mpg towing this rig, and typically are a lot closer to 8 mpg. Through the mountains, that can drop as low as 7 mpg. We did a bit better with the old rig, but it's worth it to have the extra living space when we get to our destination. You will notice the extra weight, especially when accelerating from a stop to highway speeds or when accelerating up a long incline; but as long as you don't have sway issues I would think you'd be fine with that TV. Good luck!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #7

i'm towing 10K+ with a 2015 Silverado HD WT same engine and gearing. Hitch weight varies between 1740 to 1340 lbs depending on gas tank level (a leverage affect is apparent due to weight of gas difference). Towing 2017 Puma 31RLQS with no problems The only inconvenience is in trailer towing mode at 65 mph is close to shift point between 5th and 6th gear. Getting 8.4mpg on mostly flat terrain in Texas.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #8

Correction to my previous post, the 1740lbs to 1340lbs is the variation on the rear axle weight, Sorry for the error,(senior moment).
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing