Old 05-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

towing fairly large TT

I know that the entire towing experience will be interesting for me (basically a rookie)but there are one or two things that I'd like advice/opinions on.

The TT that I am getting is about 35 feet long (Rockwood 8329ss) and I have already gone through any number of tutorials on backing up. I actually think I'll get that part of it - though by no means will it come easy. The part that I am really curious about is the tracking of the TT. When I get it I will be driving home from the dealer and I would think that turning it going forward(right and left) would be a bit of an issue, at least initially. Right turns I have heard are probably the tougher of the two simply because you are turning closer to any barriers. Either way though I have some concerns since I have nothing to compare it to, at least not until I've driven it a few times.

How can one tell when they are far enough into the intersection (or wherever you're turning) to start cutting the wheel? I'm just curious how the TT tracks in accordance with the TV.

One of the things I will need to deal with is once I get home I have the luxury of pulling in since I have a horseshoe drive. That said, the driveway on either side of the "shoe" is not very wide and there is a ditch (culvert under driveway) on each side. I will probably be turning left, which is easier but I still need to be sure I am far enough over so that the tracking of the TT doesn't take the wheels into the ditch. I live on a two lane highway that is moderately traveled - just as a point of reference.

Not sure if anything I have said or asked makes any sense but if anyone has information of the tracking of the TT or simply turning while going forward, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
DDC

Your horse shoe drive might be your biggest challenge, the rest is just common sense, when turning right hug the left line and keep that concept as you turn aiming to hug the left line in the lane you are going into, lefts are probably easier as long as you don't cut the corner, it just takes time to gain self confidence then you will wonder why you were concerned.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

A great way to practice (without risk of breaking anything) is to get a big pack of red party cups and a couple of marker cones and head to a large empty parking lot on the weekend. Mark out some test turns to get a feeling on how it behaves and have some stress free fun.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #4

You also need to get used to watching for low hanging limbs and such. It will ruin your day.
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

Remember when backing up, put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel, and then move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #6

One thing that I have found helpful is my mirrors. My truck came with towing mirrors and has the convex mirror on the bottom. This allows me to be able to watch my trailer tires during turns. That helps me know when I'm far enough into an intersection to clear any obstacles. I had to change my attitude about not upsetting people when I tow. Sometimes you find yourself in situations, especially on those right turns where you may have to wait for a car to move to complete your turn. Folks behind me just have to wait. Sorry about that. A 35' TT will require some room to make some turns but just take your time and be conscious of what's around you. As said before your driveway may be your biggest challenge. Again, take your time and you should be fine.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:43 AM   #7

Take all the room you have. No point in cutting a corner short if you didn't need to. Eventually you will get a feel for it and it will come second nature to you. I started running this truck part time when I was only 20 years old.

The first few loads I hauled I swear the whole seat cushion was sucked up inside me. Lol! Now I go through Downtown Portland Oregon with ease.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

I pull a fifth wheel and have never pulled a TT (except for my pop-up). The dealer sent me on a test drive with my truck and new camper and one of their techs riding shotgun. The tech gave me tips and input as I went along. We drove for about 30 minutes or so. I found it very helpful as a complete rookie to pulling anything big.

The one thing he told me for making turns was watch the camper's wheels. Whenever they pass whatever your obstacle is, then it is safe to turn as sharply as you need/can. It help me safe as I got a feel for when to turn and how sharply to do it. I tend to watch the inside wheels throughout most turns.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #9

Lots of good advice here. My wife & I use walkie-talkies. I've trained her to tell which way the back of the trailer needs to go. For some reason that helps me know which way to turn the wheel. The hay-hauler should be given a medal of some sorts!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I pull a fifth wheel and have never pulled a TT (except for my pop-up). The dealer sent me on a test drive with my truck and new camper and one of their techs riding shotgun. The tech gave me tips and input as I went along. We drove for about 30 minutes or so. I found it very helpful as a complete rookie to pulling anything big.

The one thing he told me for making turns was watch the camper's wheels. Whenever they pass whatever your obstacle is, then it is safe to turn as sharply as you need/can. It help me safe as I got a feel for when to turn and how sharply to do it. I tend to watch the inside wheels throughout most turns.
Best advice about turning. Watch your mirrors. once your tires are past the point you are trying not to hit, crank it over and you have made your turn.
As for backing up, bring it home and give the neighbors entertainment for the after noon and just practice.
Turn you wheel, look in the mirrors, if it isn't going the direction you want, crank it the other way.
In time, it will become second nature.
I personally never worried about hand on the bottom of the wheel stuff, I just cranked it over and watched the trailer. If going the wrong way, stop and crank it the other way.

markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing