Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

Towing flat with Forester 3011

In the opinion of you more experienced is it safe to tow 3200 lb Wrangler or 4000 lb Cherokeee 4 down without aux brakes? Also how long does it take to
1. unhitch
2. hitch up the toad to the MH?

Thank you
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

Not safe or legal most states.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #3

So I need the aux brake or it is just not doable?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

It's doable, it's just not safe. Your braking distance is longer, and in a panic stop, you may not be able to stop in time, with 3000 to 4000 lbs of weight pushing against your motor home, whereas if you had a supplemental system it would act as it should to help slow/stop your combo.
It takes me all of 10 minutes to completly hitch up my Subaru, and that includes hooking up the supp. brake system. Two minutes of that 10 is spent just to double checking everything and making sure it's right. 5 minutes or less to un-hitch.
Also, as was stated by York, it's not legal in 49 of 50 states and most of Canada.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

Thanks Grumpy. I've seen your name a lot here so you are prob a good person to ask ...
Which brake system do you rec? Which hitch system do you rec? I'd rather error on the side of safety.
BTW a Subaru is my second choice. Is yours 4WD? Easy to tow?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

We tow a 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek. No problems at all. Between wife and I, we've owned 6 Subie's. Pretty much any Subi with a manual tranny can be towed 4 down. An auto tranny Subi must be trailered--cannot tow 4 down or on a dolly.
I'm not going to "recommend" anything as we all have our preferences, and if you ask 10 of us your going to get 10 different answers.
My setup is a Blue Ox base plate, Roadmaster Sterling tow bars, and an RVi2 supplemental brake system. It's a bit on the pricey side, about $200-$300 more than some other systems. But it's compact and once programed takes less than a minute to hook it up and less than 30 seconds to un hook.
If your mechanically inclined and can install the base plate and run wiring for lighting and brake-away switch you can save a lot of $. And you can save a bit more by looking for a used tow bar set up. See them every week on different rv web sites, Craig List, ect. Base plate your probably going to have to buy new, and, at least for me, I would look at a new brake set up. Lots of used ones out there, but don't know if I'd trust them. Just my personal preference.
Overall your looking at around $2500 for a good set up if you can do the wrenching, and up to $3500 if you have to have someone install it.
Grumpy
Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

Thank you for the good info Grumpy
I take it you didn't like the Blue Ox tow bars.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #8

Nothing wrong with any of the quality tow bars. The Roadmaster system just happened to come with our Lexi when we bought it (used-one year old).
Grumpy
Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

Several things to consider about the auxiliary braking:

1. Braking power and weight of the tow vehicle. Depending on what you're towing it with, you might be able to handle it, just not safely.

2. Legality; check the states you plan to travel in or across. Most require an auxiliary brake, based on the weight of the towed vehicle or trailer.

3. Safety: Without an auxiliary braking device, there's nothing to stop the vehicle if it happened to break away from the tow vehicle.

You mentioned Jeeps. I tow a a Wrangler Unlimited (about 4,200#) and I use the Invisibrake. Works great and stays in the vehicle, completely out of sight. Install it and forget it. About $100 cheaper than the other braking systems, but you do have to have one for each vehicle you tow. Are you planning on towing both or just going to select one for towing? The Wrangler tows like a charm. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

Subaru crostrek

We have a 2015 Subaru crosstrek that we pull behind our Solera. The manual says to put it in the "on position." We do that but it kills the battery. Any suggestions?
Safirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safirt View Post
We have a 2015 Subaru crosstrek that we pull behind our Solera. The manual says to put it in the "on position." We do that but it kills the battery. Any suggestions?
Sent you a PM.
Grumpy

Tags
forester, towing