Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Towing Help Hyundai Santa Fe

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are brand spanking new to camping. It has taken me many years to talk him into it! But I finally did it!

We are feeling a bit overwelmed with all the choices out there. My head is spinning after a trip to a dealer today who was throwing out numbers about towing.

So here I am--Help please--We have a 2003 Hyundai Sante Fe, 2.7 and 6 cyclinder. Anyone else tow with a Santa Fe and what are you towing? The book says towing weight of 2700 with towing brakes but the dealer was telling us a totally different story. We are not looking at pop ups.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michelle
MandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and the world of camping!!!

It can all be very confusing at first. At least your asking questions before you buy. There are a lot of numbers to look at besides towing capacity. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR), Rear and Front Axle Weight Ratings (RAWR & FAWR) and your payload capacity, which is your actual vehicle weight loaded ready for camping subtracted form your GVWR. You need this number to see if you have enough left over to handle the hitch weight of the trailer, which will fall between 10 and 15% of the loaded trailer weight.

When looking at trailers you will be given dry weights, hitch weights and usually the gross weight of the trailer. Go by the gross weight when looking to see if your vehicle can handle the trailer. The dry weights do not include additional options, filled propane tanks, or whatever gear you'll load in the trailer.

Not everyone agrees, and that's OK, but I take the GVWR of my trailer and try to keep it at 80-85% of my vehicles tow rating. That way all my numbers should fall within their rating limits, always check to make sure.

Also note that if you max out on your vehicle's capabillity, you could have some unpleasent towing experiences when towing in adverse conditions such as rain, high winds or mountains.

With that being said, a pop-up is the only trailer I can think of that your vehicle can handle. There may be some, like what they call a tear drop, but I don't know anything about those. Maybe some one else on here does.

Here's a link to some pop-ups. You can look at floor plans and you can also find out their weights.
Pop Up Camper Trailers by Forest River

I hope this helps.

Good luck! Hope you find what will work for you.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

There are some A-Liners, I think, that can be pulled with your car. Check here for details:
About Aliners

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #4

Most RV dealers will tell you you can pull a 38' 5th wheel with your Santa Fe if it would make the sale. DO NOT TRUST WHAT A DEALER TELLS YOU! Most of them don't even know how to use most the RVs they sell.

You have made the best decision in your RV buying experience by coming here and asking questions FIRST. Many come here after the fact looking for assurance that they didn't screw up and buy too much RV for their tow vehicle.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable members here that know towing. Avail to them all you need and don't be pressured to buy something if you don't have all the facts.

Welcome to the forums.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #5

I have a 2006 Santa Fe with the same engine.
I would read the owners manual on what is the max tow weight.
Honestly I would consider something a little more weight and power than the Santa Fe. If that is your choice I also would say a small popup is what you can pull with electric brakes.

Towing Capacity2003 Hyundai Santa Fe
http://www.new-cars.com/2003/hyundai...-fe-specs.html

Look at the bottom of the page for towing weights.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Site Team

with that small of a v-6, you're limited to popups, teardrops or Chalet-type of trailers.

having a tow capacity of only 2,700lbs.(which is only with a 150lbs. driver) eliminates you from a full-height travel trailer.

agree with not listening to the dealer. most don't know anything about towing and only want to get your money and will tell you anything to get it.

since you don't want a popup and if the other types aren't acceptable either, you'll have to get a better tow vehicle.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #7

What the other have said plus one. Met an honest dealer once who refused to sell me the trailer I wanted and ended up buying a new tow vehicle(TV) cause the trailer was kicking around the TV.

The wheelbase of your tow vehicle vs trailer length is also important.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote