Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

All I saw on here was someone's opinion, opinions are like something else everybody has one. If you want to be a commercial truck driver get a CDL and then you will be able to live and talk weights. Then you can find out about bridge law, steering weight, maybe over on the drive or over gross. I'm not going to chime in on anymore of these weight threads. There is a whole lot of great information I find on this forum, weights is not one. I'll go back to looking at things I can learn about on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #22

Well then I guess stop all you want in the "good ol us of eh" I won't waste my time

jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
I've seen 3 in VA getting scaled.

Were they at a scale or with a trooper pulled behind with portable scales???
I have never seen a private RV stopped in Virginia to be weighed......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #24

Interesting code of Virginia definitions:

§ 46.2-1500. Definitions.

"Camping trailer" means a recreational vehicle constructed with collapsible partial side walls that fold for towing by a consumer-owned tow vehicle and unfold at the campsite to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

"Travel trailer" means a vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use of such size or weight so as not to require a special highway movement permit when towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle.

Note the: "when towed by a consumer owner vehicle"

§ 46.2-1105. Width of vehicles generally; exceptions.
B. Notwithstanding subsection A, a travel trailer as defined in § 46.2-1500 or a motor home may exceed 102 inches if such excess width is attributable to an appurtenance that extends no more than six inches beyond the body of the vehicle. For the purposes of this subsection, "appurtenance" includes (i) an awning and its support hardware and (ii) any appendage that is installed by the manufacturer or dealer intended to be an integral part of a motor home or travel trailer, but does not include any item that is temporarily attached to the exterior of the vehicle by the vehicle's owner for the purposes of transporting the item from one location to another.

This is interesting:

Section
§ 46.2-1112. Length of vehicles, generally; special permits; tractor truck semitrailer combinations, etc., operating on certain highways; penalty.
Except for buses and motor homes, no motor vehicle longer than 40 feet shall be operated on any highway in the Commonwealth. The actual length of any combination of vehicles coupled together including any load thereon shall not exceed a total of 65 feet.

Trying find more on scales / weighing

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #25

Towing info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky View Post
Well then I guess stop all you want in the "good ol us of eh" I won't waste my time

Over gross, are ya?

Being a visitor, I shall pull in, until told not to...

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Over gross, are ya?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

We have practically the same camper, I have f350, you have 3500, you know I'm not over gross. You stop until told to, I won't stop until I'm told to. People keep throwing these threads against the wall to see if they get something that sticks, you know my stance, I know yours.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Interesting code of Virginia definitions:

§ 46.2-1500. Definitions.

"Camping trailer" means a recreational vehicle constructed with collapsible partial side walls that fold for towing by a consumer-owned tow vehicle and unfold at the campsite to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

"Travel trailer" means a vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use of such size or weight so as not to require a special highway movement permit when towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle.

Note the: "when towed by a consumer owner vehicle"

§ 46.2-1105. Width of vehicles generally; exceptions.

B. Notwithstanding subsection A, a travel trailer as defined in § 46.2-1500 or a motor home may exceed 102 inches if such excess width is attributable to an appurtenance that extends no more than six inches beyond the body of the vehicle. For the purposes of this subsection, "appurtenance" includes (i) an awning and its support hardware and (ii) any appendage that is installed by the manufacturer or dealer intended to be an integral part of a motor home or travel trailer, but does not include any item that is temporarily attached to the exterior of the vehicle by the vehicle's owner for the purposes of transporting the item from one location to another.

This is interesting:

Section

§ 46.2-1112. Length of vehicles, generally; special permits; tractor truck semitrailer combinations, etc., operating on certain highways; penalty.

Except for buses and motor homes, no motor vehicle longer than 40 feet shall be operated on any highway in the Commonwealth. The actual length of any combination of vehicles coupled together including any load thereon shall not exceed a total of 65 feet.

Trying find more on scales / weighing

I use to work for a company that sent hogs into VA and the trailers were 48ft trailers and with the tractor it was over 65ft and we never had a problem with VA DOT. I ran the trailers past the scales and since it was hogs they never weighed the trucks with portable scales. The hogs were being loaded on a farm and when you do that the trucks can be a little overloaded. The portable scales would smell, hog poop would get on the scales and DOT would have to ride around with stinking scales in there cars. So we never got weighted. I overloaded the trucks every night, the trucks would weigh right around 100,000 lbs. You only supposed to have 80,000lb on the trucks

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #28

wow...such a difference state to state!
I'm in PA so ... I guess I need to run thru the scales should I come across open ones.

Quote:
Pennsylvania

Regardless of size, the following vehicles are subject to inspection and weigh station examinations: (1) agriculture vehicles when using public highways; (2) passenger and specialty vehicles towing large trailers; (3) large recreational vehicles, and (4) trucks.
So what IS the definiation of a 'large rv' anyway?

I plan to go thru S carolina later this year...WTF does this mean??

Quote:
The scaled weights of the gross weight of vehicles and combinations of vehicles cannot be closer than 10% to the true gross weight. -
so if my truck is rated at 7000 i'm in trouble at 6300 or 7700?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
wow...such a difference state to state!
I'm in PA so ... I guess I need to run thru the scales should I come across open ones.

So what IS the definiation of a 'large rv' anyway?

I plan to go thru S carolina later this year...WTF does this mean??

so if my truck is rated at 7000 i'm in trouble at 6300 or 7700?
No you don't. Scales are for commercial vehicles. They are not interested in your rv. But if you pull in it might make you sad... Because if you are there and they are slow they can weight you. Better to avoid them.

PA dot is not really what you need to be concerned with, they are rare. Most of our dot folks are local PD with portable scales. In 8 a year's of being where it am now I can not think of a rv going on the scales other than one time for a moho overweight on a bridge one time.

We do scale trucks and such sometimes, not just comercial, if we have what we need to suspect that they're overweight. Mostly the weekend warriors with 35 sheets of dry wall in a Honda Ridgeline and such!

I agree with spock to a point, we see these threads twice a week. While I disagree with running overweight I choose not to not for fear of the law but just because I choose to do so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I use to work for a company that sent hogs into VA and the trailers were 48ft trailers and with the tractor it was over 65ft and we never had a problem with VA DOT. I ran the trailers past the scales and since it was hogs they never weighed the trucks with portable scales. The hogs were being loaded on a farm and when you do that the trucks can be a little overloaded. The portable scales would smell, hog poop would get on the scales and DOT would have to ride around with stinking scales in there cars. So we never got weighted. I overloaded the trucks every night, the trucks would weigh right around 100,000 lbs. You only supposed to have 80,000lb on the trucks

Just a guess with out going back & looking there are different rules for farm trucks and probably they didn't want to "mess" with them

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Over gross, are ya?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
The only trouble with that is if you pull in and do not need to ....but.... but... but, they find something wrong then that means an automatic ticket....... If you go by & do not pull in and don't need to then probably won't see the any issues.......

I have never pulled the camper in to a weigh station & do not plan on it till I''m told to........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #32

Thanks.
I'm not too concerned - but ignorance of the law isn't accepted as an excuse so they tell me.

I doubt they weight anyone after an accident..if they even can once the RV expolodes itself all over the median.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
No you don't. Scales are for commercial vehicles. They are not interested in your rv. But if you pull in it might make you sad... Because if you are there and they are slow they can weight you. Better to avoid them.

PA dot is not really what you need to be concerned with, they are rare. Most of our dot folks are local PD with portable scales. In 8 a year's of being where it am now I can not think of a rv going on the scales other than one time for a moho overweight on a bridge one time.

We do scale trucks and such sometimes, not just comercial, if we have what we need to suspect that they're overweight. Mostly the weekend warriors with 35 sheets of dry wall in a Honda Ridgeline and such!

I agree with spock to a point, we see these threads twice a week. While I disagree with running overweight I choose not to not for fear of the law but just because I choose to do so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #33

When a newbie I pulled into the scales on my first trip and promptly got scolded for doing so. Never again in pulling through 36 states and don't plan to start now. I have never seen a weigh station that didn't say commercial vehicles only in any state and I have been through most. That AAA data is misleading at best.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #34

What about Tunnels and propane tanks.
Are the signs for commercial trucks or RVers ?
Do we stop and turn around or go through?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #35

Didn't mean to imply that the AAA data was the bible...just what I found via states and a search...like I said take it for what it's worth

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post

Only turn around if there is enough propane to have placards on which in an RV there is not enough to be placarded so hammer down

Old 02-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky View Post
Only turn around if there is enough propane to have placards on which in an RV there is not enough to be placarded so hammer down

That is not entirely true, not sure were the poster is from but around here if you travel through Baltimore you cannot go through the harbor tunnels. It is a several hundred dollar fine. Need to go around the beltway.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Thanks.
I'm not too concerned - but ignorance of the law isn't accepted as an excuse so they tell me.

I doubt they weight anyone after an accident..if they even can once the RV expolodes itself all over the median.
You are correct, ignorance is no excuse... But your still safe at weight stations.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post

Might be wise to plan ahead. RV and truck GPS travel programs automatically route using bridges not Hazmat forbidden tunnels. The huge fines do not discriminate cars to trucks who violate the code.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Might be wise to plan ahead. RV and truck GPS travel programs automatically route using bridges not Hazmat forbidden tunnels. The huge fines do not discriminate cars to trucks who violate the code.

Some People had issues with RV GPSs not going around Hazmat tunnels and bridges .
I was wondering what others are doing.

Tags
towing