Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Towing limits

Guys and gals,

I don't want to stir the great debate again, as I am not a fan of emotional posts but here goes:

I previously owned a Yukon Denali xl. We bought primetime lacrosse and was told no issue towing this. I got on this forum after the fact and many people said too much trailer. I towed it for 6,000 miles, through big horn mts, Yellowstone, grand Tetons and smoky mts without issue.

Due to our love for camping and travel and wanting a 5 er I decided to get a diesel as to not have 2 large purchases in 1 year. The f250 diesel pulls better than the 6.2 gasser did, hands down.

Fast forward to present day, starting to looking at 5 er, and watching these threads. It seems to me that it's the vehicle mfg that's lying to consumers.

After researching trucks, how does a truck mfg say your fifth wheel towing capacity is 15,500 -16500 lbs ( not looking at exact numbers). Only to find out that there are no 15000 lb 5 er with less than 2k pin weight?

My point is that I am going to get a 5er but looking at the specs it is impossible to keep the pin weight where they say it needs to be. I looked at one I like and the max wt is 14000 but it still has a 2200lb pin weight. I plan to weigh my truck with fuel and family and are already ordering air bags, for current set up but Jeez all this weight stuff seems misleading.

Does anyone agree you can't get to the weight but bigger factor is more payload?
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

Not to put a stop to this before it starts, but this question has been hashed out on numerous occasions. You will not get a definitive answer, but you will get everyone's opinion. I suggest you read this thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ack-38611.html
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Thanks QC,

That is the thread I was going to post in but my iPhone would not allow me to reply to thread, maybe I need and update on my app.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

To answer your question in regards to 5W towing anything short of a 350/3500 dually will be limited by it's payload capacity not it's max towing limit.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
Thanks QC,

That is the thread I was going to post in but my iPhone would not allow me to reply to thread, maybe I need and update on my app.
No need to update the app. The thread was closed so it cannot be posted to. This particular question creates a debate where everyone has a differing opinion. Ultimately these types of debates can go on forever. Perhaps you can get more discussion going, I will sit back for this one and watch though!
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post

No need to update the app. The thread was closed so it cannot be posted to. This particular question creates a debate where everyone has a differing opinion. Ultimately these types of debates can go on forever. Perhaps you can get more discussion going, I will sit back for this one and watch though!
Ok cowboy, thanks for the heads up. For me today it don't become personal as I haven't bought anything yet, still a lot on the fence on what can truly be towed.

I did haul, 50 sheets of basement board last weekend in my truck at 55 lbs each with no issue and bout 1" of sag which is 2750lbs.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

I will propose a ? After a ? I do have 20" wheels with Michelin ATX tires from the factory, I assume the larger wheels and tires hurt or help payload?