Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
Site Team

I upgraded to towing mirrors when I brought my Tundra and it was well worth the investment. I was surprised how much more I was able to see compared to the slide-on CIPA mirrors I used on a Yukon.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
I have these mirrors (GMC version - from etrailer) and find them to work very well. The mirrors are manually adjustable and once you figure out how to mount them snugly you should have have no vibration. They allow me to see completely down the drivers side of the trailer but the passenger side is somewhat blocked by the retracted canopy arms. I just do a gentle swerve when I really need to check behind the rig.
lol - I do that too. For any submariners, I refer to that as clearing my baffles.

FWIW - if looking to upgrade towing mirrors, I would try find an OEM equivalent solution that allows for power adjustment. When towing at night I frequently change the angle of my mirrors to avoid getting blinded by trucks coming up behind me, and also to get a better look directly at the trailer tires. I realize that is a much more expensive option, but hey, you only live once.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #23

There are now OEM power folding towing mirrors for the tundra. Mine are power adjustment, I just have to manually fold them and telescope them.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I use cipa------------

I have been using the CIPA mirrors for four years with no vibration on a 2005 F150. They work great. I pull a 2011 Rockwood fifthwheel. Can see
down both sides. I am even able to see my tires on both sides.

I cut four strips of velcro 1" X 2" for each CIPA mirror, placed the strips on inside of CIPA housing to cushion the two mirrors. I used the fuzzy side only!

I also cut narrow strips to place on the CIPA housing where the housing fit against the truck mirror on the very end where the two mirrors make contact.

Once I adjusted the mirror, that was it. I have not had to adjust the mirror since the first adjustment four years ago.

Yes, I have walked into the mirrors along with my DW, damn near tore
my shoulder off, yes they are still intact. The knobs have never worked loose on mine.

I even put the fuzzy velcro on the contact side of the wedge that fits between the truck mirror and the CIPA mirror. Another words the CIPA mirrors are padded all the way around where contact is made with truck mirror.

Good luck on your choice
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
There are now OEM power folding towing mirrors for the tundra. Mine are power adjustment, I just have to manually fold them and telescope them.
This sounds like what I have (heated too). The small mirror isn't power adjustable - need to do it manually.

I wouldn't mind having electric mirrors that would telescope out but I am getting better remembering to slide them out. Even if I do forget to bring them out I can still see better than I did with the CIPA slide-on type.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
This sounds like what I have (heated too). The small mirror isn't power adjustable - need to do it manually.

I wouldn't mind having electric mirrors that would telescope out but I am getting better remembering to slide them out. Even if I do forget to bring them out I can still see better than I did with the CIPA slide-on type.
Yep, the convex bottom mirror is not power adjustable. But I rarely have to adjust them anyway. Keep them where they are so I can see the edge of the truck and the lane next to me. It is perfect for checking to see if there is a vehicle in my blind spot!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
jdadoug

Add on mirrors

I also went the CIPA route on my 2010 F-150.......work great and no bad vibes! I was tickled to fix my mirror worries for so little money! jdadoug
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
DDC

I find the CIPA ones work good I bought my first set in 93 and used them on my chef astra never had any problems with vibration and I find the mirror size to be just right, I only want to see the part that is missing on the standard mirror if you go too big you get to much information.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Is anyone using the mirrors that slide over the oem mirror for any kind of truck? I have a 2013 Toyota tundra so if any tundra owners have them that would be great too. I can get the replacement oem extendable style tow mirrors. But they are $375 and the slide over style mirrors are $70. I think they would about the same for all trucks for the oem non extendable mirrors. I was just wondering if they stick out far enough to see down the side of the trailer. Thanks.
Mine are very similar, and work great. They were special order for my truck, from a Ford accessories shop, so I knew they'd fit perfectly.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #30

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. I still don't know which ones I am gonna go with. It's not that I'm strapped for money but if I don't have to spend 400 bucks vs 70 I won't. I just wanted to make sure they will work. I guess if they are designed that way then the slip on mirrors should work. Getting some feed back from the Toyota owners helped thanks again everyone.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote