Old 02-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for your input. It lookslike Ford offers the power mirrors, but only on factory orders. From what info I got, it is hit or miss if you order the mirrors. They may not work completely? They are also very expensive, over $900 for each mirror. If you have a dealership ordercthem and then they don't work, there is a 15% restocking fee.

So, I just ordered the manual mirrors. Hopefully they will be an easy swap. Maybe 4B11T might have some advice on taking old ones off and adding the manual ones.

Again, thanks.

Little Red Wagon

Old 02-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #12

I see you already ordered your mirrors but I also have a 2015 F150. I am going to order slide on mirrors from etrailer

2015 Ford F-150 Custom Towing Mirrors - Longview

I had the CIPA slide on for my Chevy which I liked. I have the door mount mirrors as well but I can never get them tight enough so going with the slide on.

Laura

Old 02-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #13

You can buy factory OEM mirrors for your Ford. When you change it, it will only retain the same options as your regular mirrors had (assuming you buy mirrors with that option). So if your XLT came with power heated mirrors, you can add tow power and headed mirrors without adding new harnesses. If your trying to add power telescoping you would need to add new harnesses and new switch.

When you go to your dealer, they are parts replacer's. Very rarely will you find someone who knows how to do these things. This is a great forum for trailers, but if you head over to one of the f150 specific forumns, you will find people who have done these things to their trucks.

I looked at adding the power telescoping to my 2015 Lariat, but $1200 for the mirrors and $200 for the new switch, slightly more than i want to spend for tow mirrors.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #14

I have a 2015 XLT with all the tow packages they make and my mirrors move electronically but I have to slide them in and out when I am going to tow. It takes all of 30 seconds to walk from one side of the truck to the other to slide them out and then in. If memory serves me right they were available as total electric (including the extension in and out) but only on the Lariot. This truck is amazing and if that's the only fault you can find.............
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #15

I traded for a 2015 F150 Platinum w/Max tow pkg. I was shocked that tow mirrors were not standard equipment. Dealer had to locate another vehicle with my options as no tow mirrors was a deal breaker. My mirrors fold, extend/retract and adjust electronically. Only the convex lower mirror is manual.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #16

If you are not in any hurry, CIPA has stated that tow mirrors for the 2015 F150 should be out soon. I had the CIPA mirrors on my 2012 RAM 1500 and they worked great (still have them if anyone is interested).
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #17

Cipa is releasing the 2015 shortly. Thats the route I'm taking. $60 is better than $1400. Wouldn't mind for $400-$500, but $1400 is out of the question.
CIPA 11550 2015 F-150 Custom Towing Mirrors Pair (will not ship until March 21st)
Old 02-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #18

I would need to chage out some wiring. My mirrors are heated, folding, and adjustable. Will see how things workout. Never would have thought Ford did it this way.

I worked for a medical equipment manufacture. We encluded most wiring so that it would be easier to upgrade.

We are new to TT camping. We will be picking up our Rockwood 2906WS on Wed. I am sure I will need more help.

Little Red Wagon
2016 F150 Lariat SuperCrew Shortbed

PS

Will check the F150 forums.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMANUEL74 View Post
You can buy factory OEM mirrors for your Ford. When you change it, it will only retain the same options as your regular mirrors had (assuming you buy mirrors with that option). So if your XLT came with power heated mirrors, you can add tow power and headed mirrors without adding new harnesses. If your trying to add power telescoping you would need to add new harnesses and new switch.

This isn't always true because they come with 2 different connectors.

1. Easier switch. Your regular mirrors have spot lights (aka the white 22-pin connector). Makes switching to tow mirrors very easy. All you have to do is buy the same-featured tow mirrors as your regular mirrors and then swap them out.

2. This is by far a much bigger pain, and the one I would have to deal with to get the tow mirrors I'd want. If you have regular mirrors without spotlights (aka the 8-pin black connector), you will have to buy new door harnesses, one for each side, which are linked now.

When you go to your dealer, they are parts replacer's. Very rarely will you find someone who knows how to do these things. This is a great forum for trailers, but if you head over to one of the f150 specific forumns, you will find people who have done these things to their trucks.

I looked at adding the power telescoping to my 2015 Lariat, but $1200 for the mirrors and $200 for the new switch, slightly more than i want to spend for tow mirrors.
bb

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Wagon View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It lookslike Ford offers the power mirrors, but only on factory orders. From what info I got, it is hit or miss if you order the mirrors. They may not work completely? They are also very expensive, over $900 for each mirror. If you have a dealership ordercthem and then they don't work, there is a 15% restocking fee.

So, I just ordered the manual mirrors. Hopefully they will be an easy swap. Maybe 4B11T might have some advice on taking old ones off and adding the manual ones.

Again, thanks.

Little Red Wagon
Above your door panels the is a triangle shaped trim piece behind the mirror. Its held on by 4 clips just get something behind it and pop it off. I use a putty knife wrapped with electrical tape. Unplug the harness and there are 2 nuts behind the trim piece and two bolts on the front edge of the door.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, ford, towing