Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

Towing number help for newbie

We currently have a Rockwood Roo 25RS and are planning on taking the jump to a 5th wheel. We were towing our current trailer with a Tahoe and knew we had to upgrade so we went out and bought a 2015 Ford F250 with 6.7L. We were looking at half ton towables so we thought we were going overboard with our truck. After reading some posts I am concerned we still might not have enough truck. We are interested in the Wildcat 312QBX and I was hoping someone could help me with the numbers.

Also, is there anyone out there with a short bed F250 and Wildcat 312QBX? Do you need a slider? We have been told differing opinions on that. Anyone running a Sidewinder with turret?

The numbers on my door sticker read: GVWR: 10000lb GAWR FT: 5940lb R:6100

Any help for a newbie in the 5th wheel world would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #2

You will get a lot of opions on this.

People towing a lot more with the same and less. They have no problems and have the best setups in the world. The usually begin or end their statements with "the weight police will tell you". They are often referred to as the nothing applys to me police.

You will get the border line lecture on how can you possibly even think about this combination. Lots of numbers and weights which for the most part are right, as well there may be issues if something bad happens with insurance and your rig is deemed over weight. These post will usually be countered by the nothing applys to me police with three or four post on no data to prove anything it is not unsafe or illegal.

I tow a similar layout and weight as your looking at. I do tow it with a dually because I got it for less then most people pay for their 1500, and I have a tendency to worry about stuff that will most likly never happen. I did however tow it with a 2500 and it towed great. Personally the numbers most likly be over a bit loaded up but I would do it based on my experiance with a 2500 and my camper. The truck did have airbags though, but was not over its payload. Towed straight, felt great and had lots of power. But I would do it based on my compfort level, and though I am a nervous driver I had the opertunity to try it before I bought it which helped me determine it was ok for me. I won't say it is ok for you, you need to know your ability and compfort level.

Just my two cents.

One more thing,
If you end up buying smaller to make numbers better, most of the time a person ends up buying what the really want a few years down the road. If your borderline on it better off going with the borderline, getting the camper you want now and saving you the new truck and camper a few years from now.

X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

Your numbers might be getting a little fuddled.. with a 2015 F250 with a 6.7l powerstroke should be putting you more in the 15,000-16,600 towing capacity (depending on cab configuration) for a 5th wheel.

You should be WELL within your tow range. The 10,000 you're looking at is JUST your truck.. excluding any trailer. Well.. for the most part. You still have to take into account your pin weight in that 10,000.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #4

stickers are one thing and actual weights are another.

you didnt state the full model/config of the truck, and the trailer will always vary from spec

the truck is rated for 5th wheel towing a trailer of ~16,000lbs GVW, well in excess of that trailers max GVWR 13,775lbs. As far as pin weight goes, the spec is 1775lbs, could probably round that to at least 2k with a bunch of the ol ladys junk in there LOL. again going by worst case scenario the truck is rated for 3100lbs payload.

not sure why your all excited about weights, you will be well within legal and safe weight!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:25 AM   #5

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was mainly concerned over posts about payload with pin weight. I wasn't sure how to find my payload amount on my truck. My truck is the crewcab 4x4 with short bed with the 6.7l powerstroke and 3.55 axle. It does have the camper package with heavier springs in the back. ykdave, where did you get the payload numbers? That would make me feel much better if it was 3100 lb.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #6

So with that config. you'll be sitting at 15,100. Your payload capacity can be found here.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #7

numbers are all on fords website

not trying to rag on ya or anything but you need to understand the acronyms and numbers that are posted on the door sticker.

"The numbers on my door sticker read: GVWR: 10000lb GAWR FT: 5940lb R:6100 "

GVWR= gross vehicle weight rating. the maximum weight the ENTIRE vehicle itself, the truck, can weigh

GAWR= gross axle weight rating. the maximum weight that can be distributed to the ground though that axle (5940lbs front axle, 6100lbs rear axle)

Looking up the max GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating, the weight of your truck and trailer) gives you an idea of what your truck was designed to safely tow. within that, even a goon has a chance, beyond that it can still be legal (granted the truck and trailer are NOT over the axle ratings) but safety could be an issue if you dont drive accordingly.

if you hit up a scale with the truck and weigh the truck alone, with a full tank of fuel and whatever gear you expect to travel with(including the hitch), youll know exactly how much pin weight you can legally carry
Old 03-13-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
So with that config. you'll be sitting at 15,100. Your payload capacity can be found here.
you don't add the two figures for any reason. They are totally separate calculations
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
you don't add the two figures for any reason. They are totally separate calculations
Uh.. what a what? Add what two figures? 15,100 isn't part of any calculation. It's the published max 5th wheel tow rating from Ford for a 2015 F250 short box crew cab with a 6.7l powerstroke. See the link in post #3.

Let's not confuse the OP any more than necessary.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpkmr View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies. I was mainly concerned over posts about payload with pin weight. I wasn't sure how to find my payload amount on my truck. My truck is the crewcab 4x4 with short bed with the 6.7l powerstroke and 3.55 axle. It does have the camper package with heavier springs in the back. ykdave, where did you get the payload numbers? That would make me feel much better if it was 3100 lb.
You should have another sticker on your door pillar (regarding tires) that will provide the max payload for that particular truck. Max payload is determined using the stated GVWR minus the weight of the truck as it rolled off the assembly line. As you add more gear to the truck...(such as the 5th wheel hitch) start subtracting it from your max payload number.

FYI: My F350 has a payload of 3,100 pounds and I tow a Wildcat 312QBX.

Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, towing