Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
jlf

Smile towing numbers

We are looking to purchase a new RV and we are definetly only looking at Forest Rivers. One of our favorites is the 2013 36ckts. My question is will a 2004 silverado 2500 diesel handle the 36ckts? The salesman says we should have no problem but like all salesmen, he wants to sell the rv.
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Always Learning

Lots of people will tell you lots of things. IMO, you should arm yourself with an education of what the various numbers mean and how they apply to each other. Then, you can decide if you're going to be within your ratings or will end up exceeding them; and if you do exceed them, are you comfortable with it?

I'm of the camp that wants to be within all of my truck and camper's ratings. The one rating that is most usually crossed is the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). This is the maximum that your truck should carry. This includes everything from the weight of the truck itself to the driver and all occupants to everything you carry with you and then eventually 20%-25% of the camper's loaded weight in the form of pin weight.

For the loaded weight, the most conservative thing to go by is the GVWR of the camper. You're unlikely to reach it in many cases, though. But like I said- it's the easiest and most conservative # to go with. OR- it is told that the average RVer adds 1,000-1,500 pounds of stuff above the dry weight of the camper. Seems like a lot, but the dry weight doesn't include necessities like propane or battery, etc. It all adds up!

Figure out your payload (the GVWR minus the weights of your truck and everything it's carrying) and see if you have enough left over for the projected pin weight of the camper.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

Without doing research myself, I'd agree with your salesman.
Best to look at the dry pin weight (because that's all you can fund), and then do some math too see what the pin will be loaded using the gvw of the fiver.
I'm sure the diesel will pull it without a struggle, but its the pin weight that you need to watch. That allowable weight should be on your trucks doorpost.

Others will chime in with better instructions, but that's what I'd do
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
jlf

Thank you for your help. We will definetly do our homework before signing on the dotted line.
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A trip to the scales will answer that question for you...full fuel, passengers, gear and hitch. The truck's GVWR minus the actual truck weight will tell you the amount of pin weight you can carry without exceeding it's GVWR. The RAWR minus the actual rear axle weight will tell you the amount of pin weight you can carry without exceeding it.

The dry pin weight is listed at 2389 lbs...could easy see that at over 2800 lbs loaded.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing