Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #21
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
ependydad, you and a few others hit the nail on the head. It is a confidence thing. My trailer does not sway on the interstate, I just imagine it is going to at any minute. Watched too many swaying videos on line I guess. DW says I should hook up, pack some food and clothes, and head west on I90 and not come home until I feel comfortable towing on the interstate. Is she trying to tell me something here?
Thanks everyone for all the input.
Sounds like permission to escape if you ask me!!! Don't worry you will be ok!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #22

If your setup correctly and it's a confidence issue as others have stated take is easy until you get a hang of it. As far as going slow that can be almost as bad as fast on some roads.I retired from UPS after almost 37yrs and the furthest I've pulled camper and boat is to Lake D'Arbonne,La from Ohio.60-65mhp is my cruse zone and the one thing that really sets it is WIND.I put a rear camera on my last camper and will be installing on on my latest as soon as the weather breaks.Just keep the interior noise at a minimum so you can concentrate on what you are doing,look ahead of you and watch the mirrors. Good Luck !!!(pic was my old camper)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1479069_622789731092544_541270977_n.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	98980  
Old 02-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #23

You could always leave DW in the trailer on your next drive and let her tell you when its swaying too much. Then she won't mind driving 55 mph....lol
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #24

You are not alone on this one. I would venture a guess that we have all had that feeling. It appears that your TV and TH are properly set up and doesn't sway at lower speeds. You did not allude that it did at higher speeds on the Interstate.

You are literally driving a truck and pulling a house and loaded garage down a major highway at say 60-70 mph. And you have the most precious cargo (DW) sitting next to you. That's cause for white knuckles.

As others have said, take your time at lower speeds, pick up a few mph until you are comfortable with that. If it feels right move up a bit more. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will get. None of us will ever get as comfortable doing this as sitting in a chair reading the newspaper. Other driver's can pull some stupid stuff and you have to be ready for it. It takes concentration. Don't be afraid of it-know the limits and respect it.

Last June, we bought a new MH north of the twin cities. When we took delivery, DW followed me into WI. If any of you are from the area, you know that there was not a piece of freeway that was not under construction in the cities. Now ad that we are in rush hour traffic with a bunch of LeMans course wannabes. I was not pulling anything, but was not used to the rig. You see, you are not alone on this one.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #25

Just like riding a bike, when you first get on, you are very nervous. But after you do it awhile you are racing around like there is no tomorrow. Just do it.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #26

On my 1st trip in the early 70s the old single axel 19'er did a sway trick on the PA Turnpike. Found my problem and instead of fixing, bought another TT. 1st trip in the 5er was 730 miles. Was feeling it out the 1st 50 - 75,,then more comfortable on the interstates. Just have to do it,,,,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #27

Driving on Interstates

We have logged tens of thousands of miles with our TT on Interstates across the country. We have always used an Equalizer Load-Distributing Hitch with integrated anti-sway bars. Properly loaded so that both truck and trailer are perfectly level on a flat stretch of road, this system minimizes the likelihood of excessive sway. Cross winds from passing Semi's can be a problem, especially if you are driving on a highway with substantial cross-wind velocity - over 10 mph. Stay alert and watch your rear view mirrors for approaching trucks.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #28

A few people have asked for confirmation, and I will, too:
Is the 15% TW from the OP...was that check when completely loaded, with the toys and everything? If yes, then I agree that it's just a confidence thing. If not, then I suspect your loaded TW is MUCH less than 15%, and you need to somehow push some weight forward, and or reduce weight behind the axles.

As far as building confidence, if you "feel" as if it might start swaying, try to induce some oscillation, and see how it resolves itself:
1. Get on the highway at an off-peak time (not a lot of traffic) on a calm day. Be sure you are loaded as you would for a trip.
2. Get to 55mph and flick the wheel a bit, kicking the trailer to 1 side.
3. Did the trailer oscillate back and forth several times, or did it quickly fall back in line by itself? If it resolve by itself, accelerate to 60 and try again. OK? Try 65 and try again. OK? Flick the wheel a bit harder. Just keep experimenting. Remember under 55mph, even a poorly loaded trailer may not sway.
4. If at any speed thru 65mph, a flick of the wheel induces 3 or more oscillations to each side, I would consider that an issue. Unless there are high winds, a passing semi, or a crazy emergency lane change, small steering inputs should not be a problem. For those crazy inputs, your sway control system should take care of it...if you are loaded properly.

Regarding the Anderson, sway control is supposed to be it's strong point (WD ability is for other threads). So again, IF you are loaded properly, you should not have an issue.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #29

trailer sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
I tow a 2015 Canyon Cat 29FQC toy hauler with a 06 F250 Super Duty King Ranch Diesel. Andersen WDH, 15% TT weight on the tongue, and Cat scale numbers well within specs. I normally tow on 2 lane roads in the Black Hills of South Dakota to campgrounds where we can ride our four wheelers. I have no problems running 55-60 mph with absolutely no sway. Tows beautifully. However, on the very few times that I have towed on the interstate, when I get up to around 50 mph my knuckles turn white, and I think this beautifully handling trailer is going to start a swayin and kill us all!!. I know I'm a wuss, (DW Even says I'm a wuss), but that's the feeling I get. Anybody else have, or had that issue? If so, how did or do you deal? Thanks for any input.
Love this forum.
If you are truly getting sway from the truck and hitch setup you have then it comes down to nothing but a weight issue.
Toy haulers have a bad habit of sway as the trailer weights are not great, i will bet in full camping mode if you had your trailer weight done at each wheel and the tongue the weights will be off, and this is the reason for your issue.
All you can do with this is to have it wheel weighs done and then figure out what you can move around to get more or less weight in the hitch
Good luck and happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing