Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #1

Towing on the Interstate

I tow a 2015 Canyon Cat 29FQC toy hauler with a 06 F250 Super Duty King Ranch Diesel. Andersen WDH, 15% TT weight on the tongue, and Cat scale numbers well within specs. I normally tow on 2 lane roads in the Black Hills of South Dakota to campgrounds where we can ride our four wheelers. I have no problems running 55-60 mph with absolutely no sway. Tows beautifully. However, on the very few times that I have towed on the interstate, when I get up to around 50 mph my knuckles turn white, and I think this beautifully handling trailer is going to start a swayin and kill us all!!. I know I'm a wuss, (DW Even says I'm a wuss), but that's the feeling I get. Anybody else have, or had that issue? If so, how did or do you deal? Thanks for any input.
Love this forum.
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #2

Hey Rugman, I don't have any answers for you, but I always wondered how you can load so much weight in the back of a toy hauler and it not effect the way it tows. I have a similar truck 06 f250 diesel crew cab 6" lift, and it tows my 34' 5ver perfectly. I actually have to remind myself to slow down. Following a line of semi's I caught myself doing 75mph. I'm more comfortable with 60 - 65mph. Was the WDH set up by a dealer or self installed?
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

Toy haulers empty usually have more tongue weight than a TT of similar size and weight, especially if they have a walled off rear garage. Open floor plans you can move your toy in over the axles to keep from reducing tongue weight dangerously.

To the OP, drive a speed where you are comfortable for a while then kick it up a bit and drive until that is comfortable and so on. I only do 60-65 on the Interstate or 2 lane.

I have to say meeting a vehicle going the opposite direction on a 2 lane has more wind effects than one passing me on the interstate.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

He states 15% TW,I hope this is Loaded TW,if so it makes NO difference what/where it is loaded! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
He states 15% TW,I hope this is Loaded TW,if so it makes NO difference what/where it is loaded! Youroo!!
I agree, if he has 15% TW when loaded, that's not the problem. I would look at the WDH setup and double check the weights. Check for abnormal tire wear to make sure everything is good with axles, also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I agree, if he has 15% TW when loaded, that's not the problem. I would look at the WDH setup and double check the weights. Check for abnormal tire wear to make sure everything is good with axles, also.
I may be misreading the OP but it sounds like it is a "confidence" problem and not a "mechanical" one. He mentions that it he "feels" like it will start swaying. I could be wrong about that tho...

If it is confidence then, like was mentioned in an earlier post, just take your time and drive at a speed you are comfortable and then after a while bump it a little. Don't try to "white knuckle" through it, just be safe! Good luck!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

Don't worry about it, drive at the speed you feel comfortable at, if its slower than 55 just turn your four ways on, most interstate highways have a minimum speed of 45, school buses in NC can only run 55 on the interstate highway with there four ways on for safety. I took my travel trailer to Yellowstone in 08 and I never drove more than 55, over 6,000 miles and never over 55 and most on interstates. Just take your time and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

I'd rather pull at 60 on the interstates than 50 on a 2 lane. I find myself at 70 often staying with traffic and slow down. Since it pulls on the 2 lane it will do well on the interstate. Give it a try and open a window or 2 on both sides a crack....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
(Dry Huunday)

Driving with your Hazard (4 way) lights on is illegal in a lot of states......
Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post

On steep grades I see semis with flashers on while in the right hand lane while UNDER 45 the posted minimum speed. I think OP will be fine if he gets out and gives it a chance. I am the opposite and try to avoid 2 lane roads as much as possible. I pulled Wolf Creek Pass one time and will never do that again.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
I may be misreading the OP but it sounds like it is a "confidence" problem and not a "mechanical" one. He mentions that it he "feels" like it will start swaying. I could be wrong about that tho...

If it is confidence then, like was mentioned in an earlier post, just take your time and drive at a speed you are comfortable and then after a while bump it a little. Don't try to "white knuckle" through it, just be safe! Good luck!

I agree that it seems that it is a mental/confidence thing. I think the only way to get over it is to just practice. Take the TT out for drives- a little bit of interstate that you know and then stop. Keep expanding distance until you're comfortable.

OR- and this is very easy for me to say as my hand doesn't control the purse. If this really is a crazy mental thing, would the OP be more comfortable with a fifth wheel which are known to not sway except in extreme situations? Maybe visit a dealer and go for a test tow on highways (if you can find one that would allow it???)?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
On steep grades I see semis with flashers on while in the right hand lane while UNDER 45 the posted minimum speed. I think OP will be fine if he gets out and gives it a chance. I am the opposite and try to avoid 2 lane roads as much as possible. I pulled Wolf Creek Pass one time and will never do that again.
I agree that its done!
Just passing along some info!

With experience comes confidence and you learn what works for you and what wont!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Drive what feels comfortable for you, a wise man once told me slow and steady wins the race. As i know it is never a race butwith experiance you will start to feel more comfortable i personally drive about 64 mph on the interstate and i dont care what others are doing i do find my self going faster at time , but if i can a set the cruise and relax

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
i personally drive about 64 mph on the interstate and i dont care what others are doing i do find my self going faster at time , but if i can a set the cruise and relax
Same here. I've been on everything from 65 to 80 mph roads and I stick with 62-64 mph.

As for using my 4-ways, I try to mimic what I see the big rigs doing and mirror them. I'm OK if its illegal, I'll deal with that ticket if/when it comes.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Wow....who knew!
Here in BC, we use them regularly when pulling long mountain passes where you are definitely below the posted speed limit (120KPH) on the Coquihalla Pass. Keep the folks who aren't paying attention from running into you.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #16

Back roads are a fun option. See more too
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I know when I was towing enclose car trailers and the car was not set perfectly in the trailer you would get sway at certain speed. Just wondering on TH if one can move the 4 wheeler's any closer to front or over ales. Just a thought. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #18

I try to maintain between 60-65 I get my best mileage. BiUT I drive around 300-350 miles a day so before we hit the road I have already made gas stops and campground I will be stopping at. Don't like setting up in the dark, leave late in morning arrive early to miss a lot of traffic.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #19

The only bad thing about going slow is never getting to pass anyone, on the trip to Yellowstone running 55 I passed 2 vehicles in 6,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #20

ependydad, you and a few others hit the nail on the head. It is a confidence thing. My trailer does not sway on the interstate, I just imagine it is going to at any minute. Watched too many swaying videos on line I guess. DW says I should hook up, pack some food and clothes, and head west on I90 and not come home until I feel comfortable towing on the interstate. Is she trying to tell me something here?
Thanks everyone for all the input.
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing