Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #1

Towing on the Interstate

I tow a 2015 Canyon Cat 29FQC toy hauler with a 06 F250 Super Duty King Ranch Diesel. Andersen WDH, 15% TT weight on the tongue, and Cat scale numbers well within specs. I normally tow on 2 lane roads in the Black Hills of South Dakota to campgrounds where we can ride our four wheelers. I have no problems running 55-60 mph with absolutely no sway. Tows beautifully. However, on the very few times that I have towed on the interstate, when I get up to around 50 mph my knuckles turn white, and I think this beautifully handling trailer is going to start a swayin and kill us all!!. I know I'm a wuss, (DW Even says I'm a wuss), but that's the feeling I get. Anybody else have, or had that issue? If so, how did or do you deal? Thanks for any input.
Love this forum.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #2

Hey Rugman, I don't have any answers for you, but I always wondered how you can load so much weight in the back of a toy hauler and it not effect the way it tows. I have a similar truck 06 f250 diesel crew cab 6" lift, and it tows my 34' 5ver perfectly. I actually have to remind myself to slow down. Following a line of semi's I caught myself doing 75mph. I'm more comfortable with 60 - 65mph. Was the WDH set up by a dealer or self installed?

abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

Toy haulers empty usually have more tongue weight than a TT of similar size and weight, especially if they have a walled off rear garage. Open floor plans you can move your toy in over the axles to keep from reducing tongue weight dangerously.

To the OP, drive a speed where you are comfortable for a while then kick it up a bit and drive until that is comfortable and so on. I only do 60-65 on the Interstate or 2 lane.

I have to say meeting a vehicle going the opposite direction on a 2 lane has more wind effects than one passing me on the interstate.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

He states 15% TW,I hope this is Loaded TW,if so it makes NO difference what/where it is loaded! Youroo!!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
He states 15% TW,I hope this is Loaded TW,if so it makes NO difference what/where it is loaded! Youroo!!
I agree, if he has 15% TW when loaded, that's not the problem. I would look at the WDH setup and double check the weights. Check for abnormal tire wear to make sure everything is good with axles, also.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I agree, if he has 15% TW when loaded, that's not the problem. I would look at the WDH setup and double check the weights. Check for abnormal tire wear to make sure everything is good with axles, also.
I may be misreading the OP but it sounds like it is a "confidence" problem and not a "mechanical" one. He mentions that it he "feels" like it will start swaying. I could be wrong about that tho...

If it is confidence then, like was mentioned in an earlier post, just take your time and drive at a speed you are comfortable and then after a while bump it a little. Don't try to "white knuckle" through it, just be safe! Good luck!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

Don't worry about it, drive at the speed you feel comfortable at, if its slower than 55 just turn your four ways on, most interstate highways have a minimum speed of 45, school buses in NC can only run 55 on the interstate highway with there four ways on for safety. I took my travel trailer to Yellowstone in 08 and I never drove more than 55, over 6,000 miles and never over 55 and most on interstates. Just take your time and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

I'd rather pull at 60 on the interstates than 50 on a 2 lane. I find myself at 70 often staying with traffic and slow down. Since it pulls on the 2 lane it will do well on the interstate. Give it a try and open a window or 2 on both sides a crack....
Old 02-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
(Dry Huunday)

Driving with your Hazard (4 way) lights on is illegal in a lot of states......
Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Driving with your Hazard (4 way) lights on is illegal in a lot of states......
Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

On steep grades I see semis with flashers on while in the right hand lane while UNDER 45 the posted minimum speed. I think OP will be fine if he gets out and gives it a chance. I am the opposite and try to avoid 2 lane roads as much as possible. I pulled Wolf Creek Pass one time and will never do that again.

Tags
towing