Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
Lon

I guess it's a good thing I had a bumper hitch when I left albany on the way to Little rock with my new camper because I pulled into some small parking lots that required about eighteen back ups to get out of. With that sway bar I'd have been dead meat. People weren't too happy with me as it was. It might have taken a helicopter and the fire department to extricate me if I couldn't easily back up.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
I guess it's a good thing I had a bumper hitch when I left albany on the way to Little rock with my new camper because I pulled into some small parking lots that required about eighteen back ups to get out of. With that sway bar I'd have been dead meat. People weren't too happy with me as it was. It might have taken a helicopter and the fire department to extricate me if I couldn't easily back up.
Lon- re-read post #19. With the Equal-I-Zer 4 way you do NOT need to remove anything to back up. I don't know any brand that requires removal prior to backing. Some people remove the bars if they are backing up a hill or through a low spot so that weight is put back on the TV rear wheels. You really should have a WD hitch for your setup.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #23

I am surprised the dealer didn't even mention the WDH when you purchased the MiniLite. Our dealer included a complete Husky WDH with the purchase of our TT. They even set it up and got it properly adjusted before we pulled out of the lot! Make sure they get the hitch adjusted properly. It will tow much better.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:21 AM   #24
Engineer of Crazy Train

When I bought from Albany RV, my friend was my salesman, so it was a relaxed experience. It felt like everyone got a WDH in the package. I guess not.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:51 AM   #25

Bought my first camper from Albany RV. Up until delivery was taken they were great. Not so good after delivery. My camper came with the weight distribution hitch but they never really showed me how to use it and never properly set it up right either.
Michael4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:51 AM   #26

Just a side note----I back up fine with my Blue Ox sway pro WDH!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #27
Lon

Well I had a Curtis round bar WD hitch installed after waiting a week for delivery and negotiating a price of 280 dollars for a 6000 pound hitch. When I picked it up I paid a bill of 480 dollars for a 10000 pound hitch. The guy offered to cut the bill in half but he worked so hard in the hot sun I didn't have the heart to nickel nose him. The ride is better but not the existential experience I was hoping for. My question is will this over matched hitch pose any problem for my little 4800 pound camper trailer? Word to the wise: take the keeper pin out of the slot before using the cheater bar to unload the chains. As it snaps in two it makes a loud crack like a pistol shot...,at least the police thought so. :-) dumb!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

The 2304 has a listed dry tongue weight of 537 lbs. That would probably be 600 to 700 lbs. ready to camp. The 600 lb bars might have been too light. The 1000 lb. bars will make the back of your truck seem really stiff. 800 lb. bars might have been a better fit, but it is what it is. You may be able to just buy the 800 lb. bars if you choose.

I don't think the Curt WDHs include any type of integrated sway control, so you might need to add a friction bar.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 AM   #29
Lon

Well I just finished a 387 mile drive down to the buccaneer state park near Biloxi with the new hitch on steroids. Definitely better ride but high frequency low amplitude jitter bug vibration makes it hard for the pinnacle of my life to read her cosmopolitan magazine. Hitch probably too big for my little mini lite. Nice to have full steerage though. Thanks to all for ur input.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
Well I had a Curtis round bar WD hitch installed after waiting a week for delivery and negotiating a price of 280 dollars for a 6000 pound hitch. When I picked it up I paid a bill of 480 dollars for a 10000 pound hitch. The guy offered to cut the bill in half but he worked so hard in the hot sun I didn't have the heart to nickel nose him. The ride is better but not the existential experience I was hoping for. My question is will this over matched hitch pose any problem for my little 4800 pound camper trailer? Word to the wise: take the keeper pin out of the slot before using the cheater bar to unload the chains. As it snaps in two it makes a loud crack like a pistol shot...,at least the police thought so. :-) dumb!
After all the HELP members have devoted to your situation you still go with a Hitch that NO one advised on! You still have no Sway control and if it Sounds like a GUN Shot when you remove it You are NOT doing that rite either! Some people just cant be Helped,Not saying your One of them! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #31
Lon

Hey you roo..... No worries! I'm happy as a clam. Pulling my little camper around the country has given me more joy than almost anything I've done I am always incredibly amazed by the expertise on this site and am always very grateful. I'm afraid my attempt to lend a little humor by sharing some of my embarrassing moments has offended u in some way and for that I am very sorry. I actually used all the information very kindly shared on this thread in the purchase of my new hitch which does indeed have a sway bar. As mtnguy mentioned I've just ordered some smaller bars to accommodate my light camper. At the risk of sounding redundant thanks again to all who lent their expertise. In the words of Cat Stevens..."We r old but we r happy." :-)
Old 01-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #32

Of course you need a WDH. I recommend the E2 hitch which incorporates sway control as well as weight distribution. As for the safety chains dragging, be sure you are crossing them, that way they will catch the tongue of your trailer if it should detach from your tow vehicle.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #33
Lon

Thanks. I have indeed added a WDH and it makes a world if difference. Pulling the camper is now a little boring by comparison to my pre hitch days. Next trip is to CallowAy Gardens at Smith Mountain Georgia. Life is good.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #34

Enjoy your new camper !! Might keep and I on the trailer tires. They are normally the cheapest they find. Drive slow and enjoy the camping have fun !!!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing