Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I'm amazed at the towing folks who don't have a clue, could care less and/or don't get it even when told point blank to them. I can understand those who simply didn't know and that's where forums like this really help
The worst are those who claim to be some hotshot engineer or something, brag about towing their 10,000 lb fifth wheel with an old chevy 1/2 ton, then "advise" others that it is perfectly safe.
That is where forums like this don't help.

But, happily, the vast majority of posters have their heads screwed on the right way, and give pretty darn good advice. It is up to the reader if they want to accept that advice or not. If they don't, I just hope I don't have to encounter them on the road!

I think the biggest single factor in these kinds of decisions is that people want more than they can afford. They see these great big awesome campers, fall in love with them, then try to justify cheaping out on a TV because they simply cannot afford the right one, and only because they spent more than they could afford on that monster camper.
People need to step back and use their heads once in a while.
__________________

__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,529
I'm not trying to start any just curious as we all get different info & each state is different.

Getting scales here would take 1 1/2 hours or longer if a DOT officer was not on duty................ none are assigned to my county but are in the district they move around the district for enforcement. We only have a couple state troopers at any one time here.....

Also I know the judges have the final word....... Off subject a little but several years ago a driver struck a child crossing the road ...... The child was getting off a big yellow vehicle with operating red flashing lights...... The case was thrown out because the Commonwealths Attorney could not prove that the big yellow vehicle met the states definition of a school bus....... It looked like they all do...... She had a very good Attorney.............

Just curious because I don 't see how law enforcement can say something is overweight & not be able to prove it with a weight .....I really don't think it would fly here might in Maryland.......

Over weight RVs is becoming a big problem I don't have an easy answer..... I still believe that too many drivers cars & RVs just don't have a clue how dangerous their actions or lack of actions can be...........
__________________

__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack21643 View Post
I would never cite without putting you on scales first.

And before I called for the scales I would be pretty sure by looking at the listed trailer weight (we do have the internet in our patrol cars so going to the maunf. web site would be easy to get their listed weights) and door jamb numbers from you TV that you are most likely overweight. I am not in the business of wasting your time or mine.

You would have to be visabley grossly over weight for me to pull you for that alone.
Obviously being "grossly" over weight causing unsafe/hazardous conditions could be a violation.

But your previous statement:

"If your stopped by the law and the patrol officer goes past his reason for stop and starts doing the math and comes to the conclusion that you are over weight by a pound he can shut you down and keep you there until a TV with the proper GVW rating is summoned to pull your TT to a safe spot off the roadway"

What statute are you referring to?

Ticketed for being 1 pound over the door sticker GVWR?

I don't think so.
__________________
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #54
Member
 
wolfpack21643's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Obviously being "grossly" over weight causing unsafe/hazardous conditions could be a violation.

But your previous statement:

"If your stopped by the law and the patrol officer goes past his reason for stop and starts doing the math and comes to the conclusion that you are over weight by a pound he can shut you down and keep you there until a TV with the proper GVW rating is summoned to pull your TT to a safe spot off the roadway"

What statute are you referring to?

Ticketed for being 1 pound over the door sticker GVWR?

I don't think so.
Section 24 109 b Maryland Motor Vehicle law states
"exceeding permissible veh. overall gross wt." then it directs you to
see section 27 105 which states:

(i) The max reg. wt limit for which the veh. or combination of vehs. is reg under MD veh law or

(ii)any statutory wt limit set forth in md veh law

(iii) the max weight limit imposed by signs placed to regulate wt of veh passing over bridge or culvert.

Section (b) is important and where I made my error with the 1 pound over statement.

(b) permitted tolerance. Except on interstate highways, loading error or tolerance of 1,000 lbs registered, statutory or signage weight limit allowed.

The rest goes on to explain the fines such as $25.00 plus .01 for each pound over 1,000 lbs over the limit ect.

See I had to go drag the law book out on my day off thanks guys

Now I dont know what the interstate highway exclusion means?

But I still maintain that your problems are going to be with the civil side of things if you wreck. I can hear it now:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury you can see my client was the victim of someone who thought he knew better then the Ford and Forest River companies and towed his one pound over weight rig of death straight into my poor defensless client.

Yeah I have heard that line before in court and the Insurance company usally ends up writing a big fat check
__________________

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
In our area, the highway inspectors have begun to crack down on those who are obviously overloaded. I am glad that I can avoid that issue.
We also have the requirement for a special driver's licence for towing a camper over 10,000 lbs, and they are letting people know that they will also be enforcing that more strictly in the future.
I am not fond of over-bearing "authority", but in the case of safety, I can tolerate it.
__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 234
Wolfpack, thank you posting the MD DMV law.

However, I would point out there is no mention of the GVWR sticker on the TV.

I have no idea at what weight limit MD law requires vehicle registration to include a GVW. In my state a GVW on the registration only applies to commercial vehicles.
__________________
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack21643 View Post
Section 24 109 b Maryland Motor Vehicle law states
"exceeding permissible veh. overall gross wt." then it directs you to
see section 27 105 which states:

(i) The max reg. wt limit for which the veh. or combination of vehs. is reg under MD veh law or

(ii)any statutory wt limit set forth in md veh law

(iii) the max weight limit imposed by signs placed to regulate wt of veh passing over bridge or culvert.

Section (b) is important and where I made my error with the 1 pound over statement.

(b) permitted tolerance. Except on interstate highways, loading error or tolerance of 1,000 lbs registered, statutory or signage weight limit allowed.

The rest goes on to explain the fines such as $25.00 plus .01 for each pound over 1,000 lbs over the limit ect.

See I had to go drag the law book out on my day off thanks guys

Now I dont know what the interstate highway exclusion means?

But I still maintain that your problems are going to be with the civil side of things if you wreck. I can hear it now:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury you can see my client was the victim of someone who thought he knew better then the Ford and Forest River companies and towed his one pound over weight rig of death straight into my poor defensless client.

Yeah I have heard that line before in court and the Insurance company usally ends up writing a big fat check

Sorry about working on your day off but the word does need to get out Thanks for the info....

You do see some crazy things going down the road....... I agree 100% the civil side can go any direction.......... I doubt I will hear much but the I77 95 car pile up on Fancy Gap mountain not sure how may RVs were involved saw a couple that were behind the wreck (They missed it)....... The attorneys are going to have a field day...................
__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #58
Member
 
wolfpack21643's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Wolfpack, thank you posting the MD DMV law.

However, I would point out there is no mention of the GVWR sticker on the TV.

I have no idea at what weight limit MD law requires vehicle registration to include a GVW. In my state a GVW on the registration only applies to commercial vehicles.
In Maryland all vehicles have a gross wt on the registration not just commercial. I have a small 4x8 lawn trailer and the registration card says it's GVW is 1,100 lbs.

Also just for laughs when I was flipping through the law book I found this gem of a law.

22 404.1 (a) (can not have) Unauthorized display of motor veh. club emblem and insignia. $60.00 and no points.

Does that mean if I have a AAA sticker on my back window but don't renew at the end of the year and remove the sticker then I am breaking the law?

Who makes these stupid laws

Mabey I should get a Good Sam Club life membership so I wont have to worry about getting a fine if I miss my dues payment.
__________________

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #59
Member
 
wolfpack21643's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 92
On a side note when I bought my Mini Lite 2306 in Ohio I hauled it home and went to the DMV a few days later. The lady behind the counter asked me what the GVW of the TT was and I told her I wasn't sure to the pound but it should be in all the papers that I had just handed her. She looked than asked again. I said I don't know let me call my wife and have her get the numbers off of the side of the TT. I called and got the numbers and when I told the DMV lady she said "I'm going to add 1,000 lbs just so you don't have to worry about staying legal. She had no idea I was a cop.

I later found out that the registration cost is based on GVW and when she moved me up it cost me an extra $50.00. Go figure, I now most likely own the highest registered gross weight Mini Lite 2306 in the country. What kind of state do I live in, pick your own weight?
__________________

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #60
Member
 
Lynkage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack21643 View Post
In Maryland all vehicles have a gross wt on the registration not just commercial. I have a small 4x8 lawn trailer and the registration card says it's GVW is 1,100 lbs.

Also just for laughs when I was flipping through the law book I found this gem of a law.

22 404.1 (a) (can not have) Unauthorized display of motor veh. club emblem and insignia. $60.00 and no points.

Does that mean if I have a AAA sticker on my back window but don't renew at the end of the year and remove the sticker then I am breaking the law?

Who makes these stupid laws

Mabey I should get a Good Sam Club life membership so I wont have to worry about getting a fine if I miss my dues payment.

That's funny!!
__________________

__________________
Shane & Antoinette
2012 Ford F-450 SuperDuty
2013 Crusader 355BHQ
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.