Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Resident Masshole
Originally Posted by Captain110 View Post
Well, I jacked up the Roo, and all fuor wheels spin freely. I was hoping that the camper was the problem. Now I'll have to dig into the Expedition!

ChoochooMan74, I appreciate your comment, but I am not a novice to towing. That's why I'm stumped by this problem. Good to see ya spending lots of family time!

BTW, I checked with a Ford dealer to see what having new plugs installed would cost. $600 plus $35 each if the plug breaks! The rest of the replacements I think I can do myself, but now I'm apprehensive about tackling the spark plug replacement!

Thanks to all for your help!
Let them do it, trust me. I tried replacing my plugs (2004 F150) at about 75K miles, and broke the first two in half. Known issue w/ the Ford's (they rust into place basically), they have a tool to deal with it.

EDIT: they did mine for around $200, but I had already bought the plugs. $600 sounds like WAY too much.

Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
If it was plugs you would feel the miss and it would shake the whole vehicle and throw a light. I'd check for air restriction like a clogged air filter or the clogged cat or muffler. Both conditions will cause power issues but never throw a check engine light. Air cleaner and the box it mounts in is easy enough to look for mice nests or just a dirty filter. The exhaust I usually disconnect before the cat and road test (yes it's loud). Or you can drill two 1/8" holes, one before/one aft the cat, and do a back pressure check with a gauge. There should not be a huge difference in your readings.
All this might be overwhelming for many, so you may want to take it to a reputable mechanic. I'd hold off on dropping 600 bucks on plugs.

*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
The plugs will definitely let you know via misfires and a CEL when they need attention. I would start with an air and fuel filter, then fuel pressure checked and exhaust restriction.
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
Our 2010 F-150 5.4 used to pull a 28 foot Bullet and we downsized to a 24 foot Wild Cat. (empty weight on the Wild Cat is 6,000 just a bit over the Bullet. The 5.4 seems to take care of this just fine.

Brandon 2

brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote