Old 05-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
Site Team

Lots of comments here on what the manual says it can tow. In the majority of the cases you run out of load capacity long before you run out of tow capacity. Check the load capacity on the yellow drivers door sticker. Subtract the weight of passengers and equipment in the TV and 100 lbs for the hitch. This is the max tongue weight.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by simty04 View Post
We purchased a Rockwood ultralight 8312ss. According to the trailer the dry weight was 6950# and we are able to pull 8500 per our manual. I know we are probobly close on weight but thought we would be ok. We have the E2 weight distribution system and that has no additional sway bar.
One of your problems is that your using the E2, for a 31' TT.

NO WAY you should be using that WDH, on a short wheelbase SUV and a trailer that long.
Your dealer should have set you up with the real Equal-i-zer 4 point WDH for your combo.
The E2 is fine for shorter and lighter trailers but only has 2 pt sway control vs the 4 pt sway control of the better one.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
1. A good W/D hitch with sway control. Don't skimp on this item!

2. Correct tire pressures

3. Correct tongue weight

4. SUV and trailer within weight specs.

THIS^^^^^

You can make it work well but in the end, you are asking a lot from your Yukon. My buddy had a Yukon and didnt check the air pressures and they were 15psi off of max for towing and his sway control was not tightened down correctly. We adjust both and reduced sway by 60-70%.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #14

My experience pulling a 30' light weight TT with a Chevy 1/2 ton pickup was miserable. It had enough motor to pull it, and as long as I was the only one in the cab of the truck I wasn't over weight, but towing it was an aweful experience.

Light weight 30' trailers, in my experience, are hard to keep straight as they don't have as much weight to plant them to the ground to combat the forces pushing on the long sides of them.

I was using an Equilizer 4 pt hitch. I upgraded the trucks tires to E load and I was never remotely comfortable towing that trailer until I went up to the 3/4 ton diesel... Even then that trailer would move around some but with the long wheel base (QCLB) and weight of the 3/4 ton diesel truck it was much more comfortable to drive.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
Head Rambler

In addition to the things said above, make sure that the WDH is set up correctly.

If the dealer set it up, they're not known to take the utmost care in setting it up correctly. You also need to set it up with the unit loaded and ready to camp.

Also, which WDH model do you have? There are three different ratings of the E2 round bar hitch.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
One of your problems is that your using the E2, for a 31' TT.

NO WAY you should be using that WDH, on a short wheelbase SUV and a trailer that long.
Your dealer should have set you up with the real Equal-i-zer 4 point WDH for your combo.
The E2 is fine for shorter and lighter trailers but only has 2 pt sway control vs the 4 pt sway control of the better one.
I concur. Most "local" dealers sell the Equalizer 4 point for $700+ installed- which is about $200 too high. They can overprice the E2 and make a killing and the price still be palatable to the average consumer, which is why I think they push it. You need a MINIMUM of the 4 point Equalizer or similar, such as the Blue Ox Sway Pro, Centerline, etc.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #17

Why are folks so quick to tow at the maximum limit...or over?
I do not understand.
No margin for error usually creates error.

While I am not the "weight police", I do get away from the "overtowers" on the highway...for my own sake.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Why are folks so quick to tow at the maximum limit...or over?
I do not understand.
No margin for error usually creates error.

While I am not the "weight police", I do get away from the "overtowers" on the highway...for my own sake.
What if you see five "large" people in a small car? Move away from them? Cause they're likely over GVWR of the car. If you do, I find that quite "insensitive". Even loading 6 good size guys into many 1/2 ton trucks will "overload" it.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #19

I would suggest leaving the water out of the tank to Tow, then fill it up when you reach your destination only if Dry camping. the weight of the water will make a big difference in you tow experience. I have very little if any water in my tank ever.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2016 Days Camping 50
2017 Days Camping 77
W5CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
What if you see five "large" people in a small car? Move away from them? Cause they're likely over GVWR of the car. If you do, I find that quite "insensitive". Even loading 6 good size guys into many 1/2 ton trucks will "overload" it.
Yes.

And if you can fit 6 Large fellows into a half tom and you are overweight...you need a new 1/2 ton...

Round here, we call that "gardener style"...

And BTW- my "sensitivity" is ALWAYS in question.

Tags
towing