Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Towing Problems

We purchased a 31 foot rockwood travel trailer in the fall and are towing it with a 2014 yukon XL. We had a horrible time pulling it empty home from the dealership and and home from our storage barn this spring. I towed it full with water and our things for our first camping trip and it pulled great. On the way home from our trip last weekend it was swaying and pulled poorly again. I had purchased an E2 round bar hitch system which was recommended by the RV dealer. I am not sure what to do to help the pulling of our travel trailer. Any one had similar issues? Should I be pulling with a equalizer hitch with a sway bar? Thanks in advance for input!
__________________

__________________
simty04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Crusadernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 589
If it pulled great with water and "stuff" you need to pay attention to where the load is. Is the water tank ahead of the axles, all storage ahead of the axle? My point is are you increasing or decreasing the tongue weight. Many threads on this topic.
__________________

__________________
2006 2500HD CCSB 2WD 2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by simty04 View Post
We purchased a 31 foot rockwood travel trailer in the fall and are towing it with a 2014 yukon XL. We had a horrible time pulling it empty home from the dealership and and home from our storage barn this spring. I towed it full with water and our things for our first camping trip and it pulled great. On the way home from our trip last weekend it was swaying and pulled poorly again. I had purchased an E2 round bar hitch system which was recommended by the RV dealer. I am not sure what to do to help the pulling of our travel trailer. Any one had similar issues? Should I be pulling with a equalizer hitch with a sway bar? Thanks in advance for input!
Since you didn't say what model of Rockwood you had, I looked at the weights for similar models of Rockwood Ultralights and you are at the limit of your tow capacity of the 2014 Yukon XL. The dry weight of the trailer is about 7300 TP 7700 lbs. The max tow rating for the Yukon XL is about 8200 lbs (without passengers or gear). You add water to that trailer and there is a good chance you are over weight. I would check it on a scale. You may need a new tow vehicle. And yes, you do need a Weight-Distributing Hitch with a Sway Controller, though your Yukon probably has Stabilitrack and a sway dampener but that doesn't replace the Sway Control Bar.
__________________
2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS
2017 1500 Silverado Z71 with 6.2L, 8-speed & tow package
Former: 2104 Tahoe Z71 w/Heavy Duty Tow Pkg (Sold)
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 16 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 931
1. A good W/D hitch with sway control. Don't skimp on this item!

2. Correct tire pressures

3. Correct tongue weight

4. SUV and trailer within weight specs.
__________________
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
not a good tow vehicle for that much trailer. SUVs are people movers, and have soft suspension for the nice ride they have. A properly equipped 1/2 ton truck would yield a much better ride.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RSchleder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,277
I agree!! I'm not a member of the weight police, however, you are asking your current tow vehicle to do a bit too much. You actually need a 1/2 ton pickup with a trailer towing package, a towing capability of over 10,000 lbs and a hauling capacity of 1,400+ lbs. Also, a good WDH like a Blue Ox Sway Pro will be your friend!
__________________
Days camping (2016)----181 days
Days camping (2017) --- 82 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
If it pulled great with water and "stuff" you need to pay attention to where the load is. Is the water tank ahead of the axles, all storage ahead of the axle? My point is are you increasing or decreasing the tongue weight. Many threads on this topic.
The fresh water tank is behing the axles. which would tell me that with no fresh water in the tank it would be better on tongue weight?
__________________
simty04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Since you didn't say what model of Rockwood you had, I looked at the weights for similar models of Rockwood Ultralights and you are at the limit of your tow capacity of the 2014 Yukon XL. The dry weight of the trailer is about 7300 TP 7700 lbs. The max tow rating for the Yukon XL is about 8200 lbs (without passengers or gear). You add water to that trailer and there is a good chance you are over weight. I would check it on a scale. You may need a new tow vehicle. And yes, you do need a Weight-Distributing Hitch with a Sway Controller, though your Yukon probably has Stabilitrack and a sway dampener but that doesn't replace the Sway Control Bar.
We purchased a Rockwood ultralight 8312ss. According to the trailer the dry weight was 6950# and we are able to pull 8500 per our manual. I know we are probobly close on weight but thought we would be ok. We have the E2 weight distribution system and that has no additional sway bar.
__________________
simty04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
Camp Bartender
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, PA
Posts: 265
I was also sold the same bill of goods from my dealership about my avalanche having now problems in pulling my 28DBUD Wildwood. Needless to say, after a few white knuckle events and a blown tranny, my wife and I had to upgrade to a Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Liter Hemi....A lot of times, just because it says it can handle it, doesn't mean it can.....Kind of like people who need a 2x shirt, but can fit in a medium, just because its fits, doesn't mean it fits.
__________________
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express, 5.7L HEMI
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD

2015: 7 Trips, 20 Nights Camped
2016: 7 Trips, 23 Nights Camped
2017: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped (so far)
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Here are some threads on towing with a Yukon....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=yukon...X1B5GsyALgsKNY
__________________

__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.