Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Just the Toyota controller built into the towing package. It has a gain setting of 0-5 in 0.5 increments, and also a finger pinch switch that I assume is to add more assist manually, but I haven't touched that part.
Braking at slow speeds (neighborhoods, parking lots, etx) you'll definitely feel the trailer brakes kick in more when you just barely press the brakes compared to driving down the road. The electric trailer brakes aren't exactly precise in their application and a slight jerk when they initially apply is pretty typical unless your trailer brakes are out of adjustment and take more braking/gain to get them to apply a normal amount.

If it's an excessive/violent jerk then it could be due to a poor design with the factory brake controller sending too much power to the brakes initially or a problem with the trailer brakes or their adjustment. Hard to say without feeling for myself.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #22
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Another question as a side note. At slow speed are all trailer brakes like a brutal on/off switch? Turning down the gain doesn't help at all. The only way I can brake smoothly at low speed is to turn the gain to zero...
That may also be an indication that the truck is too small for that big trailer...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #23
RV There Yet?

Different controllers react differently. when i had my popup i towed it with my expedition with an older style kelsey hayes hooked to the brake line (proportional on brake pressure) and it was so jerky. traded that truck for a newer (2009) f150 with built in ford brake controller. i have a hard time telling when the brakes are activated its so smooth. even on my new trailer its smooth as silk.

below is a link to a good discussion on the factory brake controller for toyotas.
https://www.tundras.com/threads/new-...a-owner.19967/

it looks like the general concensus is to swap it for a Tekonsha if you are having issues.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #24

Update: After putting most of our camping stuff in the trailer, I measured the tongue weight directly and found it to be 1300 lbs without motorcycles in the back and no fluids except for gasoline previously mentioned in the onboard tank aft of the axles. With a WDH and anti-sway bar, keeping speeds below 60 mph, we towed our new trailer about 20 miles to a storage facility with no drama. Now comes the search for a TV. Asking for recommendations...9985 GVWR for the trailer with at least 1300 lbs tongue weight, should I be looking at one ton trucks or can most 3/4 T handle that? I have a mint condition 2017 Tundra Limited double cab 4x4 loaded with tow PKG, large gas tank, TRD pro, etc. KBB for both trade in and private party sale is about $35-37k. Should I try to sell it or trade it? I'm bummed BTW...

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #25
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Update: After putting most of our camping stuff in the trailer, I measured the tongue weight directly and found it to be 1300 lbs without motorcycles in the back and no fluids except for gasoline previously mentioned in the onboard tank aft of the axles. With a WDH and anti-sway bar, keeping speeds below 60 mph, we towed our new trailer about 20 miles to a storage facility with no drama. Now comes the search for a TV. Asking for recommendations...9985 GVWR for the trailer with at least 1300 lbs tongue weight, should I be looking at one ton trucks or can most 3/4 T handle that? I have a mint condition 2017 Tundra Limited double cab 4x4 loaded with tow PKG, large gas tank, TRD pro, etc. KBB for both trade in and private party sale is about $35-37k. Should I try to sell it or trade it? I'm bummed BTW...
Don't feel like the lone stranger. I had a 2014 Tundra with ~30K miles. Thought it was fine for our trailer. Not! Took a bath but the current TV has a payload of 3300 ibs, and a Class V hitch (need for tongue > 1200 lbs.)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Yea about any gasser 3/4 ton will be good for what you want.. if you go diesel though I would go for a one ton. 3/4 ton diesels are kinda neutered in the payload dept.

As for trade or sell.. Typically you get a better deal selling, but you gotta deal with all the tire kickers, risks for test drives etc. I typically trade for that reason, and my last 2 trades (f150 ecoboost and 2016 ram 2500 6.4) I actually got much more than I expected out of trade.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #27

Quote:
3/4 is plenty unless you want more truck for upgraded th in a few years . If you go diesel then a one ton for sure as the diesel will eat a lot of payload.since you didn’t have garage loaded with bike and stuff your tw is high once loaded I would guess you would lose 300++ lbs on the tw
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #28

Looking at F250's, for a bumper pull trailer the 8' box is likely not desirable for a newbie, correct?

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #29
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Looking at F250's, for a bumper pull trailer the 8' box is likely not desirable for a newbie, correct?
There will always be a learning curve. if you take your time, ask for help when needed, get out and look, you will be just fine! I went from a "short" expedition to a crewcab 6.5 box pickup. one length is not "harder" to use than another. its just different. If i can do it, my wife can do it, then you can too! go drive one, see how different it is from what you have now, see how its the same. i bet you will like it. no truck owner ever has said "there is too much bed space here"
Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #30
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
All the longer box does is to increase your turning radius. Means it is not a good vehicle to go Christmas shopping in but it will give a little more stability when pulling a heavy trailer. Besides, you can lay a full sheet of plywood down flat in the bed. HOA constrains me to an OAL of 20' so I had to go with the 6.5' box.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #31

Quote:
I had an 6 I think with my super crew f150 ecoboost. i got an 8 foot bed with my ram 2500 and carried that on over with my 3500, Ill never have anything less than an 8 foot bed again. Its so nice to just be able to throw stuff in there and not really have to pack for space.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
At slow speed are all trailer brakes like a brutal on/off switch? Turning down the gain doesn't help at all. The only way I can brake smoothly at low speed is to turn the gain to zero...
I would pull the drums and look for grease contamination. Despite what you would think grease contaminated linings act very "sticky" at slow speeds. You use the EZ lube "feature" on your axles to repack grease?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
I have a smaller toyhauler, you are correct that loading toys can change the tongue weight. my water tank is behind the axle, filling that takes 80 lbs off of my tongue weight and its only 330lbs of water.

If it were me, i would either find a different trailer that your truck can handle, or buy a better equipped truck. my experience says that even loaded light you will be pushing the limits.

Did you weigh your tongue? Curious what it weighed empty, water tank full and maybe loaded if you did it?
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #34
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
Did you weigh your tongue? Curious what it weighed empty, water tank full and maybe loaded if you did it?
I have not put it in storage yet so i can get you more specific weights if you want. i am always open to suggestions too.
i have weighed it empty, unloaded, loaded, water, no water, grey full, black full, toys, no toys, etc. i dont have the exact numbers in front of me right now, but empty i was under the mfg. weight. something like 240-320lbs. i know for sure that filling my water tank (its behind my rear axle) removed 80 lbs from that. my grey and black tanks are in front of the axle. i have mounted my spare tire to the tongue to get the weight up a bit. I know that filling my hot water heater (up front under bed) adds another 50 lbs. the basement/front bed storage area is not very full. we dont take a lot with us. i also know that prepped for camping (all tanks empty) tongue weight is right at 500lbs. black tank full drove that number well north of 700 lbs. completely within specs if you have W/D (we dont, but will next year) so we stick to the 500 lbs that our hitch is rated for. this camper is NOT rated to have a tongue weight over 750 lbs (give or take). the ball coupler on the tongue has a max tongue weight on it. i will try to get that info tonight.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #35
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
I have not put it in storage yet so i can get you more specific weights if you want. i am always open to suggestions too.
i have weighed it empty, unloaded, loaded, water, no water, grey full, black full, toys, no toys, etc. i dont have the exact numbers in front of me right now, but empty i was under the mfg. weight. something like 240-320lbs. i know for sure that filling my water tank (its behind my rear axle) removed 80 lbs from that. my grey and black tanks are in front of the axle. i have mounted my spare tire to the tongue to get the weight up a bit. I know that filling my hot water heater (up front under bed) adds another 50 lbs. the basement/front bed storage area is not very full. we dont take a lot with us. i also know that prepped for camping (all tanks empty) tongue weight is right at 500lbs. black tank full drove that number well north of 700 lbs. completely within specs if you have W/D (we dont, but will next year) so we stick to the 500 lbs that our hitch is rated for. this camper is NOT rated to have a tongue weight over 750 lbs (give or take). the ball coupler on the tongue has a max tongue weight on it. i will try to get that info tonight.
The only weights you'll really need is with the TT loaded...the way you plan on towing it!

None of the others (ie.-half full, half empty, kinda loaded or almost loaded) matter.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #36
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The only weights you'll really need is with the TT loaded...the way you plan on towing it!

None of the others (ie.-half full, half empty, kinda loaded or almost loaded) matter.
good point! but sometimes things change like what toy i bring with, or if i dont bring a toy at all. i like to know what happens when i fill my tanks, how that affects the weight of things and how it tows. I have all of my gear loaded into the trailer, including bedding, suit cases, etc. normal weekend amount of food, movies, electronics, tv, all the goodies that make camping more fun! that gives me a good balance front to back, tongue weight at 500 lbs. its perfect for what i do now.

Toy haulers, especially the shorter, single axle ones, are more susceptible to the load applied (toys, water, fuel, etc) than others. take your time to find the balance that works for you and your load.

Tags
towing